It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Killed Family, Planned Shooting Spree, Not Allowed Access To Violent Media Or Games!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Where did I mention a school?

Do you deny that murder existed before media? That is what I stated.

Try to remember that we humans are animals. Many animals, often males, go 'rogue', killing indiscriminately for no reason at all. Humans do it too.

I believe a custodian blew up a school in 1928, Bath was the name.

Check it out, then let me know what video game you want to blame it on.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here are two comments from the site regarding the shooting:

Griego reportedly gushed to police about his love for violent video games during the interrogation, Houston said. He told police he loved to play Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto.

"The suspect was involved heavily in games, violent games, it's what he was into," Houston said. "He was quite excited as he discussed this with our investigators."

It also states that police might charge his 12 yr old gf because she knew about it and said nothing. He intended to kill HIS and HER parents as well as shooting random people at Walmart. Police say he was very unemotional about talking about killing his family. He was *frustrated* with his mother.

This has a lot more to do with something other than video games, frustrated relationships, and/or home schooling . This is a very sick individual.

edit on 23-1-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Looks like the local media may have had it wrong. From the article I posted:

Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I didn't think my post was that challenging--except to erroneous, unfounded, unscientific biases and fantasies..

Denial is not a good survival habit.

One in 1928.

Compared to how many in the last 10 years?

I gather the fact that key parts of our brains do not significantly discriminate between fantasy violence and "real" violence just doesn't make much sense to your brain?

I don't think I have a very effective solution for that--beyond letting go of hogwash and seizing the truth.

Here's an interesting article . . .

NUMBER OF MASS KILLING INCIDENTS WITH AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE KILLED:

2012 = 4
2011 = 3
2010 = 1
2009 = 4
2000 TO 2004 there was either one or no incident each year.
1999 = 5

Between the years of 2000 and 2004, however, there was either one mass-shooting incident or no incident each year. In 1999, the U.S. experienced five incidents, including the devastating Columbine massacre. And up until the 1970's there were only one or two "spree-killings" in the 20th century, according to David Brooks' estimates for The New York Times. Still, criminologist James Alan Fox from Northeastern University has said we can't definitively say this year has seen a spike in mass killings.

. . .

. . . The murders happened in 30 states around the country, and just under half of them were school or workplace shootings, according to The Mother Jones report.

Disturbingly, there have only been three years since 1982, according to the Mother Jones data, during which the United States didn't experience a mass shooting.

The article plays down any dramatic increase.

I think that's not tuned into the realities of the globalist gun-grabbing goals and it is certainly not factoring in the

GROWING INCREASE in the influences of violence in the mass media and particularly violent video games.

Video games, essentially, are very effective at training brains and reflexes--emotional and otherwise--to accept as "normal" an increased degree of violence.

Further, the nature of the violence has gone from "cowboys and Indians" westerns to FRIDAY 13TH and CHAINSAW MASSACRE and other wayyyyyyyyyyy over the line very bloody mayhem and horror types of violence.

Treating violent dismemberment and blown-to-bits visuals as "routine" DEFINITELY has an impact on brains; on reflexes, on lives, on relationships, on society and on our culture.

Of course, those who wish to remain willfully blind will tend to continue choosing to be willfully blind.

The trouble is, the globalist manufactured and brainwashed, trained "ZOMBIES" are increasing in our culture.

. . . coming soon to a neighborhood near many . . .

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

www.reuters.com...

. . .
April 16, 2007 - USA - Virginia Tech, a university in Blacksburg, Virginia, became the site of the deadliest rampage in U.S. history when a gunman killed 32 people and himself.

November 7, 2007 - FINLAND - Pekka-Eric Auvinen killed six fellow students, the school nurse and the principal and himself with a handgun at the Jokela High School near Helsinki.

September 23, 2008 - FINLAND - Student Matti Saari opened fire in a vocational school in Kauhajoki in northwest Finland, killing nine other students and one male staff member before killing himself.

March 11, 2009 - GERMANY - A 17-year-old gunman dressed in black combat gear killed nine students and three teachers at a school near Stuttgart. He also killed one other person at a nearby clinic. He was later killed in a shoot-out with police. Two additional passers-by were killed and two policemen seriously injured, bringing the death toll to 16 including the gunman.

June 2, 2010 - BRITAIN - Gunman Derrick Bird opened fire on people in towns across the rural county of Cumbria. Twelve people were killed and 11 injured. Bird also killed himself.

August 30, 2010 - SLOVAKIA - A gunman shot dead six members of a Roma family and another woman in the Slovak capital Bratislava before killing himself. Fourteen more people were wounded.

April 9, 2011 - NETHERLANDS - Tristan van der Vlis opened fire in the Ridderhof mall in Alphen aan den Rijn, south of Amsterdam, killing six before turning the gun on himself.

July 22, 2011 - NORWAY - Police seize a gunman who killed at least 68 people at a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling political party, on the small, holiday island of Utoeya. Anders Behring Breivik is later charged with the killings, as well as with an earlier bombing in the center of Oslo which killed at least eight people. He appears in a closed court hearing in Oslo on July 25 and is ordered detained for eight weeks in solitary confinement.

(Writing by David Cutler, London Editorial Reference Unit)

50 years ago, there were millions more youth in Sunday School and church youth meetings than playing video games and watching dismemberment featured horror movies.

Actually, church attendance correlates through the decades with a DECREASE in child and spouse violence.

We shall see what correlates with increases in such . . . besides epidemic ATTACHMENT DISORDER, alcoholism . . . and video games . . . and violence in media . . . if anything else of any significant import.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Yes. Just one mass killing ever occurred before this century. Talk about fantasies. Do you really think that I need to go panning through history to show you all the mass killings that have happened? Ever hear of the St. Valentine's Day MASSACRE? How about when white racists killed entire towns in the South in the 1920's? The KKK would hang dozens of black men because they weren't sure who the rape suspect was.

I noticed that you didn't bother to tell me which video game caused the 1928 event?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've started a new thread with excerpts from research studies and my summary commentaries here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Evidently you either are intentionally missing my points or choosing not to respond to them.

The fact that mankind is violent is not at issue. It's never been an issue. Ranting about the obvious in this discussion, at some point, is absurd.

I'm surprised you didn't ask me which video game triggered Attila the Hun or Genghis Khan's violence.

Sheesh.

You can foist all the packs of STRAW DOGS on this thread that you care to blather about. It won't change the facts about violent media and the impacts on the brain and on behavior.

You can continue to post embarrassing non-sequitur blather all you wish. I don't recommend it.

Your choice.

BTW, I prefer not to deal with cheeky absurdities.

You are ignoring a wealth and an abundance of solid, valid points I've made. Evidently productive dialogue is not your interest.

At some point soon, if that keeps up, I'll not find it sufficiently interesting to respond to your perspective at all.

edit on 23/1/2013 by BO XIAN because: additions

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

The fact that mankind is violent is not at issue. It's never been an issue. Ranting about the obvious in this discussion, at some point, is absurd.

That says a lot.

If you think that the fact that man is inherently violent is not an issue, I can see what I am dealing with here.

edit on 24-1-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

At some point soon, if that keeps up, I'll not find it sufficiently interesting to respond to your perspective at all.

I would thank you to do that.
My first post in this thread did not require any response from you, given that your response did not address what I actually posted, but commented on things that I didn't speak about.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

If you think that the fact that man is inherently violent is not an issue, I can see what I am dealing with here.

I say it's not an issue for the following reasons:

1. The thread topic is video games vis a vis the recent mass shootings by teens playing such games obsessively.

2. Games or no games is NOT going to remove man's propensity toward violence.

3. There's not been any disagreement by me that man has had a propensity toward violence throughout history. In THIS discussion, THAT is a . . .

PACK OF STRAW DOGS.

4. Deflecting the discussion from the original topic to man's historic propensity toward violence does not advance the topic of WHAT PART violent video games have in the violent acting out of teens addicted to said games . . . particularly teens on psycho-active drugs also addicted to said games.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

reply to post by BO XIAN

I would thank you to do that.
My first post in this thread did not require any response from you, given that your response did not address what I actually posted, but commented on things that I didn't speak about.

OK.

Though it seems to me that

"ACCESS TO VIOLENT COMPUTER GAMES" [part of the TITLE!]

and their impact on such individuals . . . seems to me to be smack in the center of the topic.

Though perhaps you'd prefer that only those agreeing with you post on the thread.

IIRC, that's NOT the standard operating procedure on ATS.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

So....a lot of the media simply LIED? Stories I read claimed that this teen stated he loved violent video games. So, either they lied, or he stated something utterly inaccurate, as though maybe he'd been programmed to finger games as the cause of his crimes. That's disturbing, either way!

I know TONS of people that play games that include violence, and not a single one of them is a violent person. Heck, my younger kids play this "Smash Brothers" game, with cartoon-style fights, and they love it. They don't go around attacking people, either!! The oldest plays shooting games, combat-style stuff, and he's very non-violent. The entire family has played an online pirate game, and none of us goes around attacking people with swords! Those games DO allow us to let off some steam, in a healthy way. Most such games are not encouraging people to go out and commit crimes. I could see someone worrying about a song that told people to commit a crime, or a game that was actually about shooting up public places or something, but most music and games re NOT like that.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I am not saying video games are the cause, but the premise of the OP is wrong, the shooter had access to and played the games.

Not according to the article linked to in the OP. The article clearly states, near the bottom:

Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television.

link

The article I initially read claimed otherwise, but there seems to be a huge difference of opinion there.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I enjoy repeatedly running over pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto, until my car blows up, jumping out and spraying everybody with my AK-47 whilst my car dramatically blows up the people it so gracefully crushed.

But it doesn't make me want to do this in real life.

The relation with bad behavior, video games & movies is in my eyes just a scapegoat. Same applies with the subject of guns & mass killings.

All a big cover up for their own grand agenda.

I like killing off my sims, too, in all sorts of creative and fun ways. Doesn't mean I plot to kill actual people, though!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

I would hope that some scientist would figure out that murder sprees actually predate movies, television and video games. I bet murder even happened before writing was invented.

edit on 23-1-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Sooooooooooooooo

please . . . such well informed wisdom and erudition must be able to tell us . . .

how many mass killings of faculty and classmates by students were there in say . . . 1952?

1955?

1940?

1850?

1960?

You should know that I tend to really enjoy most of your posts, and have a lot of respect for you. On this one, though, I have to disagree. Why only THAT sort of killing? There have been mass killings for eons, first off, so picking out one specific type seems a bit disingenuous. Plus, this wasn't that sort of killing, nor has there been any established link in the cases like that between those perpetrators and video games. The Sandy Hook case wasn't even a student. Nor was the one with the Amish school. In neither of those were games a factor, either, as far as anyone has reported (and you can bet they would have reported that sort of link). Trying to blame these rare cases (and they are still very rare, thank God!) on video games is about as valid as trying to blame them on their breakfast cereal.

Now, I don't approve of games/songs.etc. that actually Do encourage violence, by promoting it in lyrics or whatever. That is NOT what most are like, though. A kid playing a video game of sword fighting isn't any more likely to go out and kill people with a sword than the kids that played such games with sticks a hundred years ago. A kid playing a shooting game isn't any more likely to go out and shoot people than the kids back in the 40's that played gangster games with toy guns. Plus, people can and DO know the difference, unless mentally ill, between reality and fantasy. Above a very young age, we can tell those apart. Studies claiming otherwise are simply not accurate. That hundreds of thousands play these games, and most do not ever go out and commit such crimes, is pretty good evidence that the games are not the cause. In the case of Columbine, I believe the cause was that those kids felt alienated in school, and were probably bullied. No game would be needed there to cause what they did. Even then, most bullied kids don't go and shoot people at their schools. Not even most with guns in the home. It's simply a fact that there will be some violent people, and sometimes, those people will act against many others. It's been that way since the Fall of Man. It will get worse because things are starting to approach the end game. That we have electronic versions of our childhood pirate, cops and robbers, etc games isn't the reason things are worse.

Now, that said, all parents should monitor what their kids play. My younger ones do have some "fighting games", but they don't have anything graphic, or crime-based. Nor do they get to watch the more violent television shows or movies. Parenting IS a key factor. I just can't see blaming all the games for these crimes.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Well according to the police that interviewed the killer and the killer himself, both saying yes he played the video games.

So because one news article got it wrong, doesn't mean there is "confusion", just one example of bad reporting.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
this is an obvious mkultra attempt by the video game industry to use the MSM to distract us from the truth

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Well according to the police that interviewed the killer and the killer himself, both saying yes he played the video games.

So because one news article got it wrong, doesn't mean there is "confusion", just one example of bad reporting.

According to what we are told the guy said, he liked those games. We haven't heard that directly from him, as far as I know. Plus, if he did say that, which I pointed out is possible, and it can be shown that he didn't have access to those games or videos at home, then there is still something off with the case. At any rate, this is yet another shooter story with a glaring discrepancy in reporting.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

You should know that I tend to really enjoy most of your posts, and have a lot of respect for you. On this one, though, I have to disagree.

I think you're aware I have a more amplified set of responses to such issues going here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I greatly appreciate your kind responses to much of what I write. Thanks enormously. I feel similarly toward you. Certainly you are invited to disagree whenever it's authentic for you to do so.

Why only THAT sort of killing? There have been mass killings for eons, first off, so picking out one specific type seems a bit disingenuous.

Because I'm not, per se, talking in such current threads about the basic, foundational root causes of murder and death--original sin's infection in the human race.

In these threads, I'm talking about the [color=6699FF]ADDED UMPH toward violence fostered by violent media and video games. And, to a lesser degree, a subset of that--the DELIBERATE CREATION, DESIGN AND USE of such media and games by the satanic globalist oligarchy toward their goals of:

1. gun confiscation
2. general death and destruction toward trashing the 'old order' of our Judeo/Christian foundational culture and values
3. in order to make establishment of the literally satanic NWO easier to more overtly establish on the world stage
4. general death and destruction as a sub-set of their UN Agenda 21.

Plus, this wasn't that sort of killing, nor has there been any established link in the cases like that between those perpetrators and video games. The Sandy Hook case wasn't even a student. Nor was the one with the Amish school. In neither of those were games a factor, either, as far as anyone has reported (and you can bet they would have reported that sort of link). Trying to blame these rare cases (and they are still very rare, thank God!) on video games is about as valid as trying to blame them on their breakfast cereal.

That's an interesting point. I haven't investigated all such killings. I would agree it's rare.

However, it is inescapable to me that the video games and other media [color=6699FF]WHICH HAVE OUTRAGEOUSLY HORRIFIC VIOLENCE ARE designed with the above specific goals in mind. And, they do ADD UMPH to THOSE WHO spend significant time immersed in such.

Now, I don't approve of games/songs.etc. that actually Do encourage violence, by promoting it in lyrics or whatever. That is NOT what most are like, though.

I don't know what MOST games are like. I'm [color=6699FF] talking virtually only about the games specifically designed and structured for more or less upper range to maximum added encouragement toward gratuitous, outrageous levels of horror and violence.

A kid playing a video game of sword fighting isn't any more likely to go out and kill people with a sword than the kids that played such games with sticks a hundred years ago.

On the whole, I'd agree.

However, even 100 years ago . . . if there were a kid from an alcoholic, abusive father family who was PARTICULARLY mean-spirited, vicious in his playing with sticks and toy guns . . . then folks would have been foolish to have encouraged their children to play with him.

Plus, people can and DO know the difference, unless mentally ill, between reality and fantasy. Above a very young age, we can tell those apart.

I'm beginning to think folks are not understanding the research nor what I'm saying on such scores.

I'm going over to Dad's for a while. I hope to respond to that issue when I come back. Blessigns,

Parenting IS a key factor. I just can't see blaming all the games for these crimes.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join