It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do People Like this Get into Office? and What Were the Voters Thinking?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
To the voters in Virginia, specifically the 74th district, what the hell were you thinking? Obviously any and all can contribute their thoughts to this thread, but I would really like to hear(read) some thoughts from those that voted this idiot into the House of Delegates in Virgina (74th district).

I would like to introduce to everyone that does not know him, Joseph D. Morrissey. Morrissey is in the news again for his total idiocy when it comes to guns and gun control, but I will come back to this in just a moment. First, I would like to give some background on him.

In May of 1991 Morrissey borrowed 2 semi-automatic weapons from the Virginia State Police forensic lab (an Uzi submachine gun and a TEC-9) in order to give anti-drug and anti-gun lectures to students which he LOST and never reported them as missing. In April 1994, they were recovered during an arrest of a heroin dealer. Apparently Morrissey had kept them in green zip-lock baggies in his cars back seat which he regularly kept unlocked.

In 1999, Morrissey was charged with a viscous assault in which he paid a $500,000 settlement to the victim. It is said that he threatened,"I’m going to kill you. I’m going to beat your head in,” before beating the victim and “smash[ing] his head into the corner of a brick wall.” He was found guilty in 2002 and the U.S. federal court disbarred him. In 2003 the Virginia Bar Association revoked his law license.

Prior to this his license was revoked for 6 months due to mishandling a rape case. He misled the rape victim and gave the rapist a favorable plea bargain. Morrissey has also had several contempt of court violations and served jail time along with several other sanctions.

Due to his license being revoked, in 2006 he attempted to gain license in the New South Wales Bar Association in Australia which he was denied. They stated the reason for the denial as

“The court found Mr Morrissey is not a fit and proper person to be admitted as a legal practitioner, and that his character is marked by wilful disobedience of court orders and rules, episodes of violence and a failure to make appropriate disclosure and a lack of candour when dealing with colleagues.”
Apparently, Morrissey neglected to notify them he had been disbarred in the U.S.

Morrissey assumed the office of the Virginia House of Delegates from the 74th district in 2008(apparently no one did their homework prior to giving him a job) Which brings me to his most recent display of idiocy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/jw510013f2.JPG[/atsimg]

On January 17th 2013, Morrissey pulled an "AK style" rifle out from under his desk as an example of what types of weapons he would like to ban. As you can see in the above picture His thumb was on the trigger as he spoke showing he has no regards to gun safety what so ever. It wasn't until a Republican delegate corrected him in the proper way to hold the weapon that he assured the weapon was unloaded but did not do a safety check for verification.

Sources:
gunssavelives.net...
gunssavelives.net...
washingtonexaminer.com...
dailycaller.com...
dailycaller.com...[
edi t on 23-1-2013 by Agarta because: Removed line see below

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I don't understand the point of this post other than to make republicans look like the intelligent heroes of the day.

Like the article says, it is amazing how the people that want guns banned the most are the ones that do not follow proper gun safety standards.

Did they do a survey of incidents? Because I can find you an example of the exact opposite.

Medina, Ohio Gun Show Dealer Accidentally Shoots Man

Authorities say an accidental shooting at an Ohio gun show has left one man wounded.

Police in Medina say a gun dealer was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he'd bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci ) says it appears the bullet struck the floor, then a longtime friend of the gun dealer. The man was wounded in the arm and leg.

Berarducci says the man was taken by helicopter to a Cleveland hospital. His condition isn't known.

Police say the gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm but one round remained in the chamber.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 23-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
wow
....yeah, i'm with you on this, what an idiot....i'm kind of surpised that there wasn't any "reveal" to this prior to his election. politicians like him give good politicians a bad name...i wonder if he can be impeached or removed from office. this guy needs medication and counsuling, and NOT ruling on any legislation.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I lived in Richmond during Morrisseys antics, I have no idea why Richmonders elect the numbskulls they do. He is but one of the many.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
S&F from me. Just another example of speak loud and with confidence and you can lead the sheeple. even if you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. There shouldn't of even been a clip in that gun, but it wouldn't look very scary without it i suppose.

I also love that instead of electing officials who turn to criminal behavior we just elect criminals
I guess there wouldn't be any surprises when he gets caught up in some mischief.
edit on 23-1-2013 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
I don't understand the point of this post other than to make republicans look like the intelligent heroes of the day.

Like the article says, it is amazing how the people that want guns banned the most are the ones that do not follow proper gun safety standards.

Did they do a survey of incidents? Because I can find you an example of the exact opposite.

Medina, Ohio Gun Show Dealer Accidentally Shoots Man

Authorities say an accidental shooting at an Ohio gun show has left one man wounded.

Police in Medina say a gun dealer was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he'd bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci ) says it appears the bullet struck the floor, then a longtime friend of the gun dealer. The man was wounded in the arm and leg.

Berarducci says the man was taken by helicopter to a Cleveland hospital. His condition isn't known.

Police say the gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm but one round remained in the chamber.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 23-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

My main point in posting this was to show that people do not do their homework on their representatives before giving them the power in office. I admit, maybe adding this line

I took it a bit far and it has been removed from my post but is being put here for context. You are correct in that it is the stupidity or lack of safety protocol of an individual that is the issue not the group for or against gun control. Thank you for posting.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You guys think you lot have it bad,

Look at who the voters elected as Mayor of London:

Rhubarb!!!!!!!!!

Really I often think that voters vote for people for a bit of a laugh

I honestly don’t know how he ever got elected

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I lived in Virginia for twenty-two years, and to be honest, I was never able to piece together even so much as a thumbnail glimpse of what makes Virginians tick (and I say that objectively). Having left and gained a couple years of perspective, there seems to be no coherent morality involved, nor any introspection. To wit, the majority of Virginians will assure you of their strong Christian beliefs...though they engage in profiteering from war/spying/oppression, usury of every stripe, and the continuing legislation of discrimination without batting an eyelid. They rail against wasteful government spending, and the overreach of government, yet without government largess their economy would be in utter ruin. Much ado is made about preserving traditional family values, though there do not seem to be any beyond maintaining perceptions of social status (and all that entails).
Widespread moral bankruptcy + widespread lack of self-awareness = schisms in the collective psyche, and when such schisms exist, there really isn't going to be much in the way of analytical or critical thinking. Mean corollary is the rise to prominence of people like Joe Morrissey (who, it should be noted, is something of a celebrity). Wish there was more I could offer, but, you'll have to work backwards from there.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Voters...thinking ?

If they where thinking, they wouldn't be votin'...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

How Do People Like this Get into Office? and What Were the Voters Thinking?

That’s a great question….

I’ve been wondering that for over 4 years actually.

S&F

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I see a difference between the OP's example and your example. In the OP's example the idiot is holding a public office and your example is just an idiot at a gun show. Unless the idiot at the gun show plans to run for a publicly held office voted in by the people, I fail to see how your response and example are pertinent to the OP. When I read the OP I took it as more about gun safety and knowing what the hell a person is talking about, and that the herd will vote for a moron...and finally a big question to those that actually did the voting for the idiot, just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am starting to agree that the elections are rigged throughout the nation. If you look at some of these people they are millionaires/billionaires, they are totally disconnected from the people they represent, they treat the people they represent with indignity, and they are generally psychopaths and sociopaths.

People can walk around all day long and pick out honorable people. You can tell when you see someone that is just honest and doing the best they can for the people around them. Its not hard to pick out. They can look at these people and KNOW that they are the type that would say one thing and then say the exact opposite when their opponent says the same thing.

I just don't believe it anymore.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Voters have the attention span of a 5 year old. They will forget about a politician's wrongdoings very quickly. I guarantee that after a year or two if people even remember this incident, they won't remember who did it (except for people on this site and muckraking republicans looking to find dirt on their opponent). Besides in order to get elected all you have to be able to do is put on a fake smile, kiss a few babies, tell the public what they want to hear yet be lying through your teeth, and pay a bunch of people off. Once you are in office the voters obviously forget the promises made during the election and continue to vote the guy back into office when he retells the same lies in a few years.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I wonder, is it relevant that he is a Democrat?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
You have to understand that some of these guys have friends in the black agencies and dumbs who actually set policy.

They keep their genetics safer than we do on the whole and they can dictate a whole lot of policy not just from a moral high ground but a mineral rich, technologicaly advanced breakaway group from "our" species.

They may mean well and of course I could be so wrong that we are under external threat but with that being said external threats get neutralized quite quickly from within a nation that is supposedly so powerfull and well managed.

Where is the conspiracy in such a scenario other than the chaos of the surface societies whims and ill formed ideas as to what "our" species ought to be doing.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Sergiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sergiana

Regular LAWS don't apply to democrats... They can show unlawful gunclips on t.v. with no problem, they can threaten to kill others on t.v. with no problem, they can bring a gun into the congress and wave it stupidly around, like no knowledgable "gun crazy fanantic" would do -- no problem.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Well what about Dick Cheney.
He shot a guy cause he thought the guy was a duck.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Yeah I am firmly of the opinion that voter fraud is known to be rampant. A county in the state I am from recorded 106,000 votes in a county with only 99,000 voters. This was not on the front page, but on page 4...below the fold.

My wife quit voting when GW Bush was elected over the popular vote to Al Gore. I am almost there with her. I also think that the media represents these criminals to us in a way that we only have two choices, bad and worse. Where are the honest candidates? They aren't allowed to speak in the debates.

The one debate I saw Ron Paul allowed to speak in, all the other candidates (Except Gingrich who Paul had just made a fool of) deferred to him at the end of the debates as the only one in the bunch who has stuck to his principles throughout the years and been steadfast in his honesty and integrity. I was frankly amazed...and they didn't let him speak or get his points across after that.

The good ones don't stand a chance, and the puppet media makes sure of it. Someone needs to invest in an honest media source so we have someplace to turn for REAL information besides ATS.

In this day and age one has to ferret through all the lies and look at both sides of the slanted information we are fed and decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong, and that can be a slippery slope indeed. From where I am sitting, it seems to all be spun to hell and back.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
To the voters in Virginia, specifically the 74th district, what the hell were you thinking?

They were probably dazzled by his shiny suit and nice words in front of the camera...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Love the avatar haha thousand points of flowery frills fits right into the agenda I knew it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join