It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You people are making ATS a miserable place....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
341 posts? HA.... K ....bye

Are you stating since I have not been on ATS a long as you then my contributions to discussions are not as valuable as yours?

If that is your point, you have 777 posts, you have been on ATS 6 months longer then I have...not sure what exactly you are trying to point out here?
edit on 1/24/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by Djayed

Are you finished with your self indulgent rant? You say you are done as if that will take away from the discourse in some significant manner. If you don't like the conversation about a particular subject then don't participate. If you see something offensive or wrong that may violate the terms and conditions of this site then take the proper avenues for reporting said violations. Adding to the maddness by posting "rants" such as this does not help.

This. So many threads get derailed from people jumping in and saying 'oh my gosh don't talk about this.' If you don't like the subject and don't have anything to add except 'gosh, stop it guys' then stay out of the thread. Why read it and then derail it if you don't like the subject. Just be an adult and move on; unless you are trying to expand yourself with uncomfortable subjects...in which case, then debate as an adult. It's gross the amount of thread closures because of emotional tantrums thrown by others. The new motto here should be 'don't like, don't read.' Instead it seems to be 'don't like, then whine and derail thread, then get thread closed, then feel good about oneself for derailing thread, then start over with process.' Yuck.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have found this thread interesting, for a few reasons.

Firsty I read this thread, because I too do feel the same way. Having been a member here since 2006, and a lurker for months before that, I have been around this site since 2005 and seen it change so much from the site I joined. Yes for the worse (IN MY OPINION).

There are still a few nuggets of gold in here though, which is why I still come back.

One of the things that interests me in this thread is this... I went through the first 4 pages of theads on this site looking at the dates the posters registerd and the majority of the posters registered in the last 3 years. I dunno I just find it odd I suppose that so few older members are commenting.

I also noticed that as the thread went on and recieved more posts that the posts of an insulting nature or childish "dry your eyes" type responses also went up.

Obviously you can't base something like this on one post, but I would be interested to see how is compares to other topics and their posts. Hitting front page will get you more attention, but should that also mean more insults?

Me just thinking aloud I suppose.

Perhaps maybe there will be a time where the site will be divided? a poitical ATS and a classic ATS if you will. but that may just lead to more arguements as to what classes as political I suppose.

peace out people, I'm going to try and find some posts about aliens on the moon and ghosts.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I've only posted 171 times in almost 7 years.... if people base your value to the forum with the amount of posts then i'm screwed.

Quality not quantity. not saying mine are all jems though.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by almeister 5000

One of the things that interests me in this thread is this... I went through the first 4 pages of threads on this site looking at the dates the posters registered and the majority of the posters registered in the last 3 years. I dunno I just find it odd I suppose that so few older members are commenting.

I think this is great! I was thinking about the exact same thing! Thanks for your observation!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by almeister 5000
reply to post by Djayed

I've only posted 171 times in almost 7 years.... if people base your value to the forum with the amount of posts then i'm screwed.

Quality not quantity. not saying mine are all jems though.

Well now you are at 172...remember quantity, quantity, quantity... without tons of S&F's our opinions mean nothing! I think this is part of the problem...commenting has become a game with rewards for sparking riots!

It feel like this is their motto (And when I say their...you know who you are):

"Just remember if you come passing out torches and pitch forks you are doing your job on ATS."

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
i agree with the OP. it's not what it used to be. i've been here longer than what my profile says (left for a while then forgot my password and had to start over). the negativity is rampant. i still come here though.... but not as often.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KashiDoll

The semi-hateful or full on hateful posts to the OP are a prime example of why newbies to this forum, like me, can be sometimes afraid of posting.

I've had an account here for like half a year and lurked for quite a while before that and as you can see, my post count is nearly none existent. I don't want to come off as a coward or something, but hell I'm actually kinda shy around new people and I worry about if I don't say something right that I might get torn a new one. I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about everything or even half that, but that is one of the reasons I am here, I want to learn, I don't want to be ripped to pieces because I may not be as experienced or as knowledgeable as the ones who are.

I just want to hang out, talk with and possibly debate likeminded individuals without the fear of being called names and torn down. I don't think that is too much to ask.

And now I'm rambling and not even sure if this still fits the OP.

*hides back under her lurker rock of lurkiness*

This is fair enough. My response was not fair, actually. I just get my moments of REALLY!?!? on here because well if I don't like something then I take it up with a mod and it's got to be real real real important for even that. I think the instant reaction from me was because these threads are popping up constantly and have been since I was afraid to even post here.

It is very very VERY unfair to get knocked down and spit on because you aren't quite as knowledgeable on certain topics as others, I mean, there are some brilliant minds on this board but you don't have to be an expert on the subject to contribute valuable information on it in a reply or in your own thread. You don't have to be an expert on it to contribute brilliant ideas!!!

It took a while for me to learn to do my own "crowd control" on my own threads when trolls enter or people enter with an opposite opinion than mine, it's still hard to read comments from some members on my threads and I still get frustrated. The most important thing is to not forget that you can report a post to the moderators for a good reason and THEY WILL remove it if it is irrelevant, inflammatory, hateful, or any number of unsavory things, even off-topic.

The comment on the post count was incredibly childish of me, you are right about that. Some people who cause the most trouble have incredibly high post counts and it shouldn't gauge how much experience a member has had here to make a point about if they have a right to say anything or not, that was wrong. I actually had second thoughts about it after I posted it but I'll be honest and say I had a glass of wine or three and just let it be.

I think there are more constructive ways of dealing with issues people have with ATS on occasion than making threads like this though, talking to the mods, controlling your replies and your threads, and generally putting out good feedback and kindness instead of what I did, jump to a conclusion and let my opinion get away from me. I've been in the situation before where I knew less than someone and was corrected and got angry, but now I just take it as an opportunity to learn something.

Like now.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

Originally posted by ParaSpy2012
reply to post by BrokenCircles

EXACTLY!!!! You just wanna take the easy route. Sadly, you are not alone with that. There are many other lazy punks who wanna complain about it, without even attempting to do something about it. This site is 100% user-generated content. If you're not seeing threads based on the topics that you're interested in, then start one yourself. It's an extremely simple concept.

Well of course Sherlock, of course I take the easy route.....
I have a nice life, ATS is just a website for entertainment to me, nothing more, nothing less. Why, do you come here for the absolute truth? You need to check your life I think.
The only lazy punks are those who're logged in 24/7 and ATS is their only friend. You're sounding like one of them.
Remember, your username is not your name, your avatar isn't you, and you're not doing anything to change anything by sitting on a chair posting rhetoric all day, and night in some cases.
Go to sleep and get a job. You'll feel much better.
Take my advice for what it's worth.
But this site WAS better before and it's not the same now, accept it. You know it's the truth.

Take care now.
Byeee

I'm not sure what world you live in, but where ever it may be, it is not the same one in which I reside.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

While I have publicly agreed that a few subjects have arisen that seem to, for reasons I don't quite grasp, have made a large segment of the people feel that decorum and civility are no longer requisite social qualities - I stop short of jumping on any "ATS used to be better" bandwagons. Let me explain.

ATS was different when I first found it, around '02 or '03. It was even different when I created this account early in '08. But to try to say it was better back then? It was certainly a bit different ( though not as much, IMO, as many other old timers seem to feel ) - but I cannot say it was better. In fact, to be honest, I have to admit, when faced with this discussion, that I've changed far more, myself, than ATS has. And that is, I think, what makes old timers feel this way. The internal changes get projected onto ATS. It's "kid in a candy store" syndrome. Let any kid walk into a candy store and watch their eyes bug out with excitement and joy. Come back an hour later? They're in ecstasy. But come back five or six hours later and what do you find? A very unhappy and disinterested kid with a bellyache.

This, I honestly believe, applies to ATS quite well. Many of us have had enough time to sample every flavor, until our urges are content, and then have glutted to the point of losing interest. I know that, for me at least, it's a very unusual moment to find a thread that opens up an entirely new and previously unknown subject. I imagine the same to be true for others as well.

So, in evaluating ATS - please bear the above in mind and ask how much of the change you perceive is internal and how much is external.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 1/24/13 by Hefficide because: grammar

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Point well made. I never really thought about it like that.

I suppose when looking at it, only so much new information comes out about Nazi's on the moon, unsolved mysteries of the past or 9/11 for example.

Also with a larger user base I suppose things will seem different, more people commenting on the same thing and need to shout to be heard possibly

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I have to agree with a lot of what you said. I don't remember how many years I lurked before signing up, but it was quite a few. When I first came here it seemed like a respite from politics. The things that most intrigued me were the space exploration, UFO, and secret military projects. I also found out that there was quite a bit of news that was broke right here. Most often it was mundane solar flares and what not. I still believe the Fukushima thread is one of the most definitive anywhere. The deep water horizon thread, and so many more.

Unfortunately I have noticed those from the far right have set up shop here. It is after all, fertile soil, and semi un-moderated. For those who would doubt the trend, it seems to me (if I remember correctly), they had to ban threads that were praising Hitler as they were becoming so common, not too mention more and more brazen. Well that crew has never left, and they continue to poison the atmosphere with their far right wing propaganda. They do not debate with the intention of learning, they are here for only one purpose, and that purpose is to further their agenda. They bring nothing positive to this place. As they become more and more vocal they have lowered the standard of intelligence to a new low. There is a virus that has set up shop here and it seems to be growing unabated. I am sure the hit counter is reflecting this.

Rant off....

edit on 24-1-2013 by soundguy because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I come here almost every day as I am retired. I look at every post and there has not been even one that I have
not read to some extent. This is one of my favorite sites among many others. I enjoy reading what other
people think. I may always agree but sometimes they say something that I never even considered. Who knows,
I might learn something.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

edit on 24-1-2013 by GFDGFS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

This is fair enough. My response was not fair, actually. I just get my moments of REALLY!?!? on here because well if I don't like something then I take it up with a mod and it's got to be real real real important for even that. I think the instant reaction from me was because these threads are popping up constantly and have been since I was afraid to even post here.

It is very very VERY unfair to get knocked down and spit on because you aren't quite as knowledgeable on certain topics as others, I mean, there are some brilliant minds on this board but you don't have to be an expert on the subject to contribute valuable information on it in a reply or in your own thread. You don't have to be an expert on it to contribute brilliant ideas!!!

The comment on the post count was incredibly childish of me, you are right about that. Some people who cause the most trouble have incredibly high post counts and it shouldn't gauge how much experience a member has had here to make a point about if they have a right to say anything or not, that was wrong. I actually had second thoughts about it after I posted it but I'll be honest and say I had a glass of wine or three and just let it be.

I think there are more constructive ways of dealing with issues people have with ATS on occasion than making threads like this though, talking to the mods, controlling your replies and your threads, and generally putting out good feedback and kindness instead of what I did, jump to a conclusion and let my opinion get away from me. I've been in the situation before where I knew less than someone and was corrected and got angry, but now I just take it as an opportunity to learn something.

Like now.

This was really great of you too say! It takes a lot to admit this! I have no problem admitting when I am wrong...but I like people to make me work for it! Constructive discussions debating issues and at most intelligent banter to keep your debate lively is something I think we are all capable of! No need to hit below the belt!! Thank you for your reasonable approach.

My one point is....some behavior doesn't actually break rules...just harsh....stating it in a post makes you feel you are able to address the people of ATS. Most of us are reasonable adults, minus the trolls so we should be able to discuss it.

Now with that being said, reviewing the rants I can see where you are coming from of frequency as well as a rant can easily come across very whiny depending how the author is writing it and how the user is reading it. My major point was ATS has been flooded with specific topics and even when you try to join the lynch shows up with the pitch forks and torches .
edit on 1/24/2013 by Djayed because: Edited quote

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParaSpy2012
reply to post by BrokenCircles

EXACTLY!!!! You just wanna take the easy route. Sadly, you are not alone with that. There are many other lazy punks who wanna complain about it, without even attempting to do something about it. This site is 100% user-generated content. If you're not seeing threads based on the topics that you're interested in, then start one yourself. It's an extremely simple concept.

Well of course Sherlock, of course I take the easy route.....
I have a nice life, ATS is just a website for entertainment to me, nothing more, nothing less. Why, do you come here for the absolute truth? You need to check your life I think.
The only lazy punks are those who're logged in 24/7 and ATS is their only friend. You're sounding like one of them.
Remember, your username is not your name, your avatar isn't you, and you're not doing anything to change anything by sitting on a chair posting rhetoric all day, and night in some cases.
Go to sleep and get a job. You'll feel much better.
Take my advice for what it's worth.
But this site WAS better before and it's not the same now, accept it. You know it's the truth.

Take care now.
Byeee

Well said my friend, well said!! Some people think they are heroes!!
Owned!!

edit on 24-1-2013 by GFDGFS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Now if you find some threads distasteful - then don't go to those threads. The content in ATS is membership generated so if you feel the site is going downhill then perhaps you should just start making your own threads? Or just complain about how you don't like certain opinions....or how the site and the membership has gone downhill.

edit on 24-1-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soundguy

I have to agree with a lot of what you said. I don't remember how many years I lurked before signing up, but it was quite a few. When I first came here it seemed like a respite from politics. The things that most intrigued me were the space exploration, UFO, and secret military projects. I also found out that there was quite a bit of news that was broke right here. Most often it was mundane solar flares and what not. I still believe the Fukushima thread is one of the most definitive anywhere. The deep water horizon thread, and so many more.

Unfortunately I have noticed those from the far right have set up shop here. It is after all, fertile soil, and semi un-moderated. For those who would doubt the trend, it seems to me (if I remember correctly), they had to ban threads that were praising Hitler as they were becoming so common, not too mention more and more brazen. Well that crew has never left, and they continue to poison the atmosphere with their far right wing propaganda. They do not debate with the intention of learning, they are here for only one purpose, and that purpose is to further their agenda. They bring nothing positive to this place. As they become more and more vocal they have lowered the standard of intelligence to a new low. There is a virus that has set up shop here and it seems to be growing unabated. I am sure the hit counter is reflecting this.

Rant off....

edit on 24-1-2013 by soundguy because: Spelling

I would say that people from all extremist views have "set up shop"
All you get is arguments when you have people unwilling to even listen to each other.....

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

341 posts? HA.... K ....bye

One of the ops posts out-think you're 700+. This reply (imo) is the most idiotic attempt to gain an upper hand you can attempt on a forum. It's the lowest, most pathetic form of forum bullying in the book. You, my friend, have a lot of growing up to do...
Have fun with that.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I typically read an entire thread before responding, but in this case I am making an exception:

Thank you for expressing my exact same sentiments about this site over the past few months. I just logged in and DIDN'T see the usual wall-o'gun threads. So maybe the tide is turning.

Despite whatever conversation transpired on the rest of the thread I just had to express my thanks. S&F

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join