It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You people are making ATS a miserable place....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

Yours is exactly the kind of post the OP is lamenting about.
Using my flawless armchair forensic investigative skills, I deduce you also didn't read any of the responses to the OP before jumping in and swinging the jawbone of an ass. That might have helped make your comment appear less disconnected to this thread's reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Atta girl! (Girl, right?)

Lol, nope guy...just like captain janeway from star trek!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

First it was the elections

So when elections passed I was exited to get back into the normal flow of discussions here on ATS...that is until Sandy Hook.

Which of course Sandy Hook led to the gun control conversations/laws, which again leads into irrational, argumentative, and disrespectful discussions.

You forgot Doomsday threads...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Have you heard of changing the channel if you dont like whats on.Same thing applies here.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
341 posts? HA.... K ....bye

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

EXACTLY!!!! You just wanna take the easy route. Sadly, you are not alone with that. There are many other lazy punks who wanna complain about it, without even attempting to do something about it. This site is 100% user-generated content. If you're not seeing threads based on the topics that you're interested in, then start one yourself. It's an extremely simple concept.

Well of course Sherlock, of course I take the easy route.....
I have a nice life, ATS is just a website for entertainment to me, nothing more, nothing less. Why, do you come here for the absolute truth? You need to check your life I think.
The only lazy punks are those who're logged in 24/7 and ATS is their only friend. You're sounding like one of them.
Remember, your username is not your name, your avatar isn't you, and you're not doing anything to change anything by sitting on a chair posting rhetoric all day, and night in some cases.
Go to sleep and get a job. You'll feel much better.
Take my advice for what it's worth.
But this site WAS better before and it's not the same now, accept it. You know it's the truth.

Take care now.
Byeee

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
OP,

I can sympathize with some of your frustrations, sometimes it does feel like talking to brick walls regarding some of the more popular topics of late. I originally came here for the fringe theories and topics that make for interesting discussion (UFO'S, paranormal activity etc.) but to be honest the discussion of actual news topics doesn't really bother me. I think most people enjoy debate, and current news will always be big as people like to talk about things that are making current headlines. ATS is alot bigger than it used to be, all that means is you get a much wider variety of people (including yes trolls even). Talk about things that interest you, I know I have been kicking around the idea of making a thread regarding dreams, the psychology behind them and popular belief behind what they actually mean (just haven't gotten off my butt to actually do it yet). My point being talk about things that interest you, and don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Sometimes it will not be popular opinion, but sometimes it may generate some interesting discussion. You, me and everyone else is unique and we all have validity in our opinions.

I make my points, and am willing to keep an open mind and debate based on my viewpoints. People do not always agree, such is life, if someone has thier mind made up and it won't be changed I usually just agree to disagree and move on.

In closing, my advice is to just hang in there and don't get discouraged. Your opinion on everything has value and matters as does everyone else's that is not just trying to stir the pot and annoy the masses for kicks.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
You people? YOU people? as opposed to 'us' people.

You've just created your own division.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Miserable?

ATS is the most hilarious website in the world.

Come here for laughs.

Loosen up a little and enjoy the humor.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I dont think in terms of "used to be better" or paid shills n such, but it seems quality of comunication is down. I just checked 2 threads where the problem was not opinions but how they were expressed. It seems many cannot have a discussion because they need to score points off those they disagree with. Like its a contest instead of a dialog, people are so hostile right out of the gate. Online and r/t its hard to have a real conversation anymore. I feel like I'm trying to talk to sitcom characters, people constantly trying to be sarcastic/clever all the time instead of really talking. Like everything is in soundbyte format. Very discouraging. Opinion with insult, to start a fight instead of just talking.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The semi-hateful or full on hateful posts to the OP are a prime example of why newbies to this forum, like me, can be sometimes afraid of posting.

I've had an account here for like half a year and lurked for quite a while before that and as you can see, my post count is nearly none existent. I don't want to come off as a coward or something, but hell I'm actually kinda shy around new people and I worry about if I don't say something right that I might get torn a new one. I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about everything or even half that, but that is one of the reasons I am here, I want to learn, I don't want to be ripped to pieces because I may not be as experienced or as knowledgeable as the ones who are.

I just want to hang out, talk with and possibly debate likeminded individuals without the fear of being called names and torn down. I don't think that is too much to ask.

And now I'm rambling and not even sure if this still fits the OP.

*hides back under her lurker rock of lurkiness*

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KashiDoll

The semi-hateful or full on hateful posts to the OP are a prime example of why newbies to this forum, like me, can be sometimes afraid of posting.

I've had an account here for like half a year and lurked for quite a while before that and as you can see, my post count is nearly none existent. I don't want to come off as a coward or something, but hell I'm actually kinda shy around new people and I worry about if I don't say something right that I might get torn a new one. I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about everything or even half that, but that is one of the reasons I am here, I want to learn, I don't want to be ripped to pieces because I may not be as experienced or as knowledgeable as the ones who are.

I just want to hang out, talk with and possibly debate likeminded individuals without the fear of being called names and torn down. I don't think that is too much to ask.

And now I'm rambling and not even sure if this still fits the OP.

*hides back under her lurker rock of lurkiness*

I think it suits the thread lol, and you don't need to feel shy or worried. People will disagree with your opinion, and people will agree with it. If people are attacking you and not the post it is simply unacceptable. Your opinions would be welcome on anything I post on....welcome to posting kash

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Thanks so much for the offer and support, Dark. I'm sorta kinda almost trying to come out of my lurker comfort zone and post more and not be shy and whatnot, I guess the more I do, the easier it will be.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT
reply to post by solarjetman

We all need to relax a little.

This thread is under Rants after all which always results in some kind of pissy match some how. Like the original OP I just think some are getting fed up with all the harshness that seems to be consuming this site lately.

Aren't we all here to communicate and share thoughts and ideas? We are free to express your opinions, ideas and news. Everyone should already know no matter how fluffy and magical it maybe someone is going to question you or disagree. We need to put our big girl or boy panties on and get over feeling hurt by what others say. Just think of all the lurkers not even signed up... think of all those like me who hate any confrontation at all. Heck I really don't like to get involved in a 6 or more page thread. The battles or arguments have often taken control of it and what I have to say well. Is usually a one liner ...OMG or similar.

ATS family we are living our own lives with a lot barring down on us. I just hope things here can get back to some sense of real thought and discussions while not letting our emotions pound out negativity through our key boards. That's all I gotta say and will stop ranting myself.

Loves Restless

Wait, I'm agreeing with the OP haha. Sorry if that was confusing. I meant that these "people" are making the site only slightly better than a YouTube comments section (or any other mainstream outlet) by reducing threads to pissing matches with cheap shots and straw man arguments. It's not so much that I'm sensitive to what people say about me-- frankly I don't care if 99% of ATS just started hating me one day (although I'd leave haha)-- it's more the frustration that comes with simply being unable to properly debate/discuss ANYTHING.

I'm not emotionally hurt if a poster calls me a poo poo face, it's more that I'm frustrated that, in many circumstances, this kind of comment is green lighted and even encouraged via stars or 'atta boys. The ENTIRE point of ATS for me was to be able to discuss fringe and alternative topics with a straight face, with intelligent, clear-headed people. If an unpopular but provocative theory pops up, lets discuss the theory and stop attacking the dude that posted it!!!! If it gets successfully debunked, let it go-- nothing personal bro!!! It depresses me on a deeper level that the very thing we all came here to escape is present right in front of our eyes. No one can escape the folly of humanity.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

If you don't like the posts on the home page just skip over them, is it really that
hard to just pass it by and move right on to the "forums" section where you can find the 50 or so other forum sections.

I'm so tired of these rant threads where people cry about the topics on the main page and how they aren't what they want to see. Well if you want to see something else make a thread about something else and make it good enough so it becomes popular and gets on the front page, its that simple. Gun control posts are on the front page right now because its a hot button issue and people want to talk about it, its that simple.

sorry to break it to you Mr. sensitive but most subjects are going to get a little irrational, and emotional (like you are). your on a public forum, this isn't debate class where we have to stay polite and proper. A lot of these subjects hit very close to home for people so yes at times people are going to get emotional.

So I'm sorry sissy won't let you watch your show right now but its here turn, here's some milk and cookies go cry it out, and see you in two weeks because you and I both no there's no place like ATS.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I have been kicking around the idea of making a thread regarding dreams, the psychology behind them and popular belief behind what they actually mean (just haven't gotten off my butt to actually do it yet).

Thanks! A dream I had 8 years ago is what brought me to this site...something I woke up from and wrote everything down. I wanted to upload the documents, diagrams, and my story here. I have been slowly working on it, and I am almost ready to post. This rant was kinda my promise to myself to post it soon and not get caugth up with the current events.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by KashiDoll

I have felt the same way about posting my original thread....I have slowly been writing it and have posted "Buffer" threads in the mean time. If I want to have confrontations with someone I can just go to the store it is easy where I live. On ATS I like constructive debating, and intelligent banter. When people start saying your an idiot, shill, sheep, OPEN YOUR EYES, I can go on and on but I usually leave the conversation and provide no retort since it is not worth it. My fear is that this site motto is deny ignorance but those approaches to an argument is being just that ignorant and will eventually force people to stop responding.

So when someone that is trying to decide where they stand on the issues and all they have is 15 arguments leaning to one side when everyone leaning to the other side just gave up since it was a brick wall they were talking to, then the wall started to throw bricks....

I love to be proven wrong, but it needs to be proven with factual and intelligent data. Otherwise it is just the ramblings of a Mad Man (Or Women).
edit on 1/24/2013 by Djayed because: Math guy

edit on 1/24/2013 by Djayed because: I am a math guy...what can I say~!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08

I'm so tired of these rant threads where people cry about the topics on the main page and how they aren't what they want to see. Well if you want to see something else make a thread about something else and make it good enough so it becomes popular and gets on the front page, its that simple. Gun control posts are on the front page right now because its a hot button issue and people want to talk about it, its that simple.

Can you see the irony of telling me to skip the main page and not read them, when you just stated you are sick of the rant posts. When you are complaining about my post that was posted in the Rants Forum?? LOL

Has anyone else that has posted something in this discussion, thought about the Irony in their post??

See the above comment is intelligent banter......some people could have been real jerks about it! I find humor in irony so I look for it whenever I can!
edit on 1/24/2013 by Djayed because: I never see my grammar issues until I post!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Wow. What a miserable OP.

What a greta world its turning out to be now that we cant talk about anything.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuntmanbob
Wow. What a miserable OP.

What a greta world its turning out to be now that we cant talk about anything.

There is nothing wrong with constructive conversation or intelligent banter on debated subjects. You must have missed the point of my thread.

Your post just furthers my point in this discussion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join