It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dare I say it - UK Showing Early Signs of Recovery

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
reply to post by tdk84

My town is exactly the same. Boarded up shops everywhere and many charity shops. On a weekend night you couldn't drive down the high street because of hundreds of people on nights out. Now its like a ghost town real sad to see.

O yeah I forgot about that one Charity shops... Heart Foundation, Oxfam, The Samaritans, Age UK etc popping up everywhere.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by tdk84

There is actually a demand returning for shops that have previously been victims of changing times on the highstreet. High quality Butchers and to a lesser degree Greengrocers are starting to come back into demand. I personally enjoy visiting my local butcher over getting meat from a supermarket chain, even if I have to pay slightly more.

Yeah I've also noticed this, I think a lot of business that cant compete online are closing and stores are returning that provide a different service.

The recent horse meat from tesco will do wonders for the butchers. People always want higher quality food for the right price. Free range, organic produce etc I could see how there could be a revival.

Dare I say a return of the milk man? I've seen one coming down the road recently providing everything delivered to the door. Bacon, bread, milk, newspaper etc. There again I do my whole grocery shop online these days.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

What recovery would that be then?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

GDP figures always lag what the current economy is doing. Extra people in jobs this month won't have a real effect on the GDP for 3 months at least.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The most intelligent of us want the full spectrum of what matters in humanities development to continue but we would also like to see the near full amount of bull# affecting the planet and last but not least humans to all but stop.

Period.

If we dont curb it now how can the recovery ever amount to a lasting effect not just for the UK but the world.

Not everyone needs to have some bull# job to keep it all running.

Just make sure the most idle arent the least intelligent.

Ta da

Send all of them to the african coast to filter out water and pipe it inland.

They would have bumloads of solar and be solving the biggest problems in africa.

Now I am just dreaming here

edit on 1-2-2013 by Sergiana because: Might as well give a bloody suggestion.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
There has been some good news for once in the UK today about the road to financial recovery and according to Mervyn King we may well be back on the right road.

The Office for national statistics today sonfirmed that the UK now has more people in Employment than in any other time in the past 40 years. To compliment this the number of people claiming job seekers benafits has dropped by 12,100 people to 1.56m claimants. The Unemployment rate fell over all to 7.7% too.

The unemployment rate dropped to 7.7% in the three months to November as the UK's jobs market continued to improve in contrast to most of its European neighbours.

The Office for National Statistics said there were 2.49 million people unemployed, down 37,000 on June to August 2012 and down 185,000 on a year earlier. It is the lowest since spring 2011.

A record number of people were also in work last year after a boost to full-time and part-time working. Almost 30 million adults were in a job in the quarter to last November, up by more than half a million on the previous year.

The figure, giving an employment rate of 71%, is the highest since records began in 1971.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Other figures revealed that the number of self-employed workers has increased by 7,000 to 4.2million.

In another encouraging sign of life for the economy, long-term unemployment has fallen - down by 10,000 for those out of work for more than two years, to 434,000, and by 5,000 for people unemployed for at least a year, to 892,000

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The economy is springing back to life and there are ‘good reasons to suppose a gentle recovery is under way’, the governor of the Bank of England said last night.
Sir Mervyn King also said there was ‘no reason’ why State-backed Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds could not be largely sold back to the private sector ‘within a relatively short period’.
Delivering his most upbeat speech since the financial crisis, Sir Mervyn outlined a set of policies which he said could ‘roll back the dark cloud of uncertainty’ hanging over the economy.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Opinion is hardening at the Bank of England against stimulating the economy with any extra cash.
Its powerful cohort of rate-setters remained entrenched in their positions at their early January meeting - they again voted 8-1 against more money printing and 9-0 against a change in the rock-bottom 0.5 per cent interest rate.
But while monetary policy committee member David Miles maintained his vote for a modest increase in the £375billion of bond purchases made to date to £400billion, others said they had become more certain that this was not necessary.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So the early signs are certainly starting to show, that the UK is over the worst and is now starting to recover. Although I am slightly sceptical about the timings of the release of all this information.

You did dare say it. The Jobless figure is now UP to 7.9%.
I think you jumped the gun to soon. With Muppet Osbourne in charge there will be little or no change.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join