It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Coronal hole opening

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
reply to post by eriktheawful

Someone with a rational thought?!

FINALLY.

Well, to be fair, I think a lot of people (at least your average Joe or Jane) are not aware of what it is they are seeing in those images either.

Take a look at the image again, only ignore the black triangle and other areas that are black. Take a look at the bright yellowish/orange areas.

They look all puffy and swirly don't they?

There's a good reason for that. It's because what you are seeing there is NOT the surface of the sun!

What you are seeing, is called the Corona which is the sun's atmosphere. An atmosphere made up of plasma at a million degrees.

Think of the Earth with it's cloud cover. The areas that do not have cloud cover, we can see the Earth's surface.

The black areas in the image are actually the sun's surface. The reason it looks black in these images is because these images are focusing on a specific frequency of light (the extreme ultra violet).

Let me give you another example of that: say you have a special camera. This camera can take pictures, but it has a special filter on it that will only let light through it if it's frequency is 531 nanometers. You go outside and take pictures of things.
When you look at the pictures, the only things you will see it it will be if they a green. Everything else will be black.

So the SDO images that we see that are showing us these "holes" are not really showing us a hole at all. They are showing us the corona atmosphere of the sun, and the black areas are those parts that are not visible at those frequencies.

So why the strange shapes (IE big bird, triangles, arrow heads, etc)?

Take a look around you. Even in nature we see things that make us go "Hmmmm?" Clouds that look like Jesus, a rock that looks like a turtle. It's called Pareidolia, the way our minds work.

I know. I have a image of Ben Franklin on a wood panel on my wall. It's bleed over from the staining process when they manufactured the wood panel. But it looks just like Ben Franklin to me!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well now I am freaked out, That is just like a dream I had around late November last year, only there were more and smaller black patches in the sun also I felt as though I could hear the sun or somehow feel the vibrations.
I know it doesn't mean much but that is very similar to my memory. The dream also had something to do with UFO'S and humanoid aliens with bad acne on their faces (cheeks).Dont know what any of that means, probably nothing.
Lets hope that's as bad as it gets.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

It's not really a hole (in the sense that a section of the sun is missing and you are looking into the sun's interior).
It's an area of the sun who's magnetic loops are not closed, but trailing out.
The plasma density is lower here, so the temps are cooler here compared to the area around it.
It is only visible in the extreme ultra violet frequency range (which is what the images show).

Very true on this and why I'd say it's important for folks who may be concerned about Solar events to look at more than just a couple images, to be sure. Some of the AIA imaging does look like a real and physical hole, doesn't it? It runs the imagination...and that's kinda fun to let run for a moment too, I must admit.

Then looking just a bit further across at AIA images, one would come to this:

* (maybe I can't self-link my websites...but I can at least show the data I have for my displays which explains that image better for what it is for everyone)

That one kinda poops on the party huh? lol.... Not a hole at all, just as you say. Just an anomaly like countless others every year. This one just formed into a recognizable shape and was a BIG sucker, to be sure.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As the Sun continues to rotate, the triangular opening is still visible. However, perhaps due to the angles of the view, it's perspective is changing.

Here is the photo from the day before for comparison. Still, very interesting.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

It's not really a hole (in the sense that a section of the sun is missing and you are looking into the sun's interior).
It's an area of the sun who's magnetic loops are not closed, but trailing out.
The plasma density is lower here, so the temps are cooler here compared to the area around it.
It is only visible in the extreme ultra violet frequency range (which is what the images show).

Very true on this and why I'd say it's important for folks who may be concerned about Solar events to look at more than just a couple images , to be sure. Some of the AIA imaging does look like a real and physical hole, doesn't it? It runs the imagination...and that's kinda fun to let run for a moment too, I must admit.

Here are more than a couple of images mr wabbit.

That one kinda poops on the party huh? lol.... Not a hole at all, just as you say. Just an anomaly like countless others every year. This one just formed into a recognizable shape and was a BIG sucker, to be sure.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

No poop here sir!
maybe just egg on a rabbits face

If you want more images, just go here:
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
or here;
www.n3kl.org...
or here;
sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 26-1-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
I have an idea that the Mayan date of 21 st Dec 2012 is a little way out, and we are heading for bad times in 2013. The triangular on the sun should not be made fun of, or taken lightly, why? because the Pirmids were triangular for a start, on top of the sun going crazy I am being warned of war shortly if China attacks Japan with USA joining in the war when,, yes when it starts, the sun will then be the least of our problems guys.

I would disagree with you, Alt, in that at the end of the day the sun is going to be THE problem.

But not today.
Hope not anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Actually, not really any egg on his face.

All the images you posted that show the coronal hole are in the Ultra Violet and Extreme Ultra Violet spectrum, and is not actually visible to the naked eye.

If you look at the sun in the 450 nm range (visible light), you won't see the coronal hole, or any hole for that matter, because there is no actual physical hole there for you to see.

When you (or anyone else) are looking at images of the sun, please note the wave length that you are looking at. If it's not in the visible spectrum range, chances are you'll see something that you're not accustom to seeing.

For example: When you take pictures of people you know, you are used to seeing those people.

Now take pictures of the very same people, only using a X-Ray machine and look at those photos.

Not quite what you are used to seeing.

We see this on television shows all the time where people are using IR cameras (Ghost Hunters come to mind, or many others). Notice how things like their hair color looks completely different, or the colors of their clothes when they are shooting in IR as compared to normal visible light.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I'm not sure what your point on this is for showing. Your images show it's an anomaly and not a hole. Same as the others did. Still looks neat though and still visible.

At least "visible" in the extremes. You forgot an image of the series though. Must be the only one ya missed. The visible light image of the Sun.

I throw a little piece under each image as well as the data blocks aside them as I have above. This is what I have for the visible one there and it's from NASA's description of the image.

This channel shows the features that our eyes would see if we dim the Sun's intensely bright light. This wavelength of light is visible to people as blue-indigo, although here it is shown in yellow. Sunspots stand out sharply here, and you can also see that the edge of the Sun appears darker a well-known effect called limb darkening.

It's not visible there. It's all really interesting to watch though, IMO. I built the section with those images for pure fun and something to check out for the 'neat' factor. All the data feeds like X-Ray flux are for serious watching and it's been near flat lines now for awhile. Interesting there too.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No, I didn't miss it.
It displayed nothing relevant to the thread.
And to erkawful:

if you look at the sun in the 450 nm range (visible light), you won't see the coronal hole, or any hole for that matter, because there is no actual physical hole there for you to see.

So I guess because it's something we can't see, or grasp, it must not be there.

Luis Pasteur, Sir Isaac Newton and Nicolaus Copernicus are rolling in there graves.

Thank you for your very very thoughtful contribution.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No, I didn't miss it.
It displayed nothing relevant to the thread.
And to erkawful:

if you look at the sun in the 450 nm range (visible light), you won't see the coronal hole, or any hole for that matter, because there is no actual physical hole there for you to see.

So I guess because it's something we can't see, or grasp, it must not be there.

Luis Pasteur, Sir Isaac Newton and Nicolaus Copernicus are rolling in there graves.

Thank you for your very very thoughtful contribution.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Ah, sarcasm.

It's okay, I'll over look it, and instead address what you brought up.

I said that there was no physical hole in the surface of the sun. There isn't. If there were, you would see that in the visible light images....oh, and for you information, if there were a physical hole in the sun's surface, there would be 2 things to note:

1) The hole would not look dark. Quite the opposite in fact because the further into the sun you go, the more amount of photons there are.....therefore the hole would appear bright....a LOT brighter than the surface of the sun.

2) The sun would be exploding. It would be exploding because the sun has a balance of physical mass pushing down on the nuclear fusion going on at the sun's core. The sun is always trying to explode, but the amount of mass that is bearing down on it keeps this from happening. Scope a large enough hole out of the sun, and you'll upset that balance.

Kaboom.

So what is it that you are seeing in the UV images? I've already explained this before, perhaps you missed it.....or you ignored it. I'll be nice and go with you simply missed it.

What you are seeing in those pictures is the sun's atmosphere. The corona. You are seeing a hole in the plasma density of that atmosphere. The area that you are paying attention to (the black area) is black because that is the surface of the sun. Think of the bright areas as clouds, and the "hole" you are looking at as a opening in those clouds.

So yes, I suppose one could actually call it a "hole". But I'm afraid they are very incorrect when they say it's a hole in the sun. It's not. It's a "hole" in the magnetic, plasma dense atmosphere of the sun called the corona.

By the way: Luis Pasteur, Sir Isaac Newton and Nicolaus Copernicus were not solar scientists.

Pasteur was a chemist and microbiologist.
Newton was a physicist, mathematician, and astronomer.
Copernicus was a mathematician and astronomer.

But again, none of them knew what the sun was made of, or even why it shines like it does. How about that?
edit on 27-1-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Big gorgeous stargate for the crafts coming and going. We should all ask for contact, sitings and ways to win against the tyranny here and pass our earth tests!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join