It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Coronal hole opening

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I reported this opening back on the 18th
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and was met with comments from seeing pareidolia to big bird. Here is the report from spaceweather.com and the newest photo's. I find them quit stunning.
spaceweather.com...

As this triangle in the Sun's magnetic field continues to open, the escaping solar wind will eventually reach above, or near the Earth's southern pole. The solar wind should arrive around Jan 26-27. I tried to find out what class of CME's (Coronal Mass Ejections) were reported around the last triangle, but was unable to find them.
spaceweather.com...

Here is the Stonyhurst Heliograph view from NASA stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

FYI, here is the photo of the one that formed last year.

Ah yes, no triangle forming here, move along.

edit on 23-1-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'd note after checking, that sucker stands out huge on almost every wavelength of imaging one cares to look at too.

It's almost as if you could see into the Sun itself for a time, eh? Nature is awesome to see sometimes.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
good post OP

Btw don't mind all the wikipedia psychologists out here, they judge everything with stuff they don't really understand. keep it up

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Very amazing. I don't think anyone can really deny the obvious here. Is there a possibility of it growing larger or do they generally stay the same size?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Is this some kind of Illuminati conspiracy?

The triangle shape, are you claiming there is some significance? What do you think this significance might be? You imply that the shape is important. Why do you think this and what importance does it have?

We see coronal holes all the time - do you think the ones with a triangular shape are otherwise significant or are they just as random as the rest?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I have an idea that the Mayan date of 21 st Dec 2012 is a little way out, and we are heading for bad times in 2013. The triangular on the sun should not be made fun of, or taken lightly, why? because the Pirmids were triangular for a start, on top of the sun going crazy I am being warned of war shortly if China attacks Japan with USA joining in the war when,, yes when it starts, the sun will then be the least of our problems guys.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd note after checking, that sucker stands out huge on almost every wavelength of imaging one cares to look at too.

It's almost as if you could see into the Sun itself for a time, eh? Nature is awesome to see sometimes.

Why is it only visible in the UV wavelengths? Visible light and magnetograms show nothing of the sort.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Why is it only visible in the UV wavelengths? Visible light and magnetograms show nothing of the sort.

Good question.
Perhaps it's not a natural development.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

I wish I COULD link one of my own sites in this case...but I'd just encourage everyone to look at the NASA stuff to see that aspect of it. The SDO-AIA imaging is showing this in all but one wavelength available at the moment.

The SDO-HMI images aren't showing it...but then, they don't show ANY of the surface anomalies visible in the AIA imagery so it's not notable for that. I just thought it was interesting that this was such a clean and BIG feature on the Sun's surface right now. Certainly a great catch on the OP.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
large hole opening, that takes me back to this girl er um, story for another day but anyway what do these coronal holes lead to if anything?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
large hole opening, that takes me back to this girl er um, story for another day but anyway what do these coronal holes lead to if anything?

The surface of the Sun?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The surface of the Sun?

Oh come on... can anyone even have casual conversations on science here anymore or do we all need to break out books on Astrophysics and NASA level detail of specific terminology? This is silly....

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The surface of the Sun?

Hahahahahahahah! That made my morning

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
why the now fashionable fascination with coronal holes?

is it because the nibiru myth is proven dead? so something else needs to be the source of doom for us all?

I remember this section of the forum was for sensible scientific discussion.

and lastly, THEY ARENT FREAKING HOLES IN THE SUN

they are areas of weaker (relative to the rest) magnetic field, and lower (relative to the rest) temperatures.

Now, if anyone can come up with a picture of a perfect coronal "hole" in the shape of an octagon, with spinning pink swirly lights in the middle then i will be impressed. If you cant, its all natural.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by siliconpsychosis

they are areas of weaker (relative to the rest) magnetic field, and lower (relative to the rest) temperatures.

Thank you for answering my question before I even asked.

But just two more. How deep can these holes go? And if they are weaker and cooler, how does that effect the CME's? Does the hole allow them because of the weaker madnetic field?

Ok...three questions.

edit on 24-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: coffee! need....more

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by siliconpsychosis

Thank you for answering my question before I even asked.

But just two more. How deep can these holes go? And if they are weaker and cooler, how does that effect the CME's? Does the hole allow them because of the weaker madnetic field?

Ok...three questions.

edit on 24-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: coffee! need....more

If by "how deep?" you are asking how much material is gone, the answer is: none.

What looks like a "hole" is actually 2 things:

1) Magnetic loops that normally close in on themselves have instead not and are trailing out into space.

and

2) Lower plasma density (which means cooler temps then the surrounding areas, so are darker).

Photons that are made from the fusion reaction at the sun's core take a long time to get to the surface, but as with all parts of the sun, are more dense the further in you go.

So if anything, if you could cut a hole into the inside of the sun, it wouldn't appear dark. If anything it would be brighter..

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

why the now fashionable fascination with coronal holes?

???

A trip through ATS Archives of old messages and forum discussions would show this is anything but new or recent and sun watchers seem to have been a core thing to ATS almost from it's inception. Umm... I'm kinda lost where anyone spending time looking at that history here would take this kind of thread to be anything even remotely new or different?

Heck..It's not some call of doom and gloom or disaster ahead. It's just a really neat feature the sun has developed for a while. It'll pass and be gone soon enough ...then a new one will form and we'll talk about that for awhile. Maybe one of these days we'll even see a complex shape form in the random chaos out there.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No doom and gloom here. Just curious as to why no one can explain a triangular opening on the Sun. Here is today's photo. Notice how it has rotated since the first sighting, to now.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No doom and gloom here. Just curious as to why no one can explain a triangular opening on the Sun. Here is today's photo. Notice how it has rotated since the first sighting, to now.

But it has been explained:

It's not really a hole (in the sense that a section of the sun is missing and you are looking into the sun's interior).
It's an area of the sun who's magnetic loops are not closed, but trailing out.
The plasma density is lower here, so the temps are cooler here compared to the area around it.
It is only visible in the extreme ultra violet frequency range (which is what the images show).

As for it looking like a triangle: coronal holes have taken the form of many shapes that our eyes see. Phage posted a long list of images last year showing many other "triangle" images, and other coronal holes that looked like many other things (the "duck" one stuck out to me).

None of the images show a perfect triangle either (3 straight sides, with 3 angles that form 180 degrees). Instead, our mind and eyes equate it with a general shape as we want something to look like something familiar.

For example, your latest image looks more like a arrow head (complete with fin at it's base) than it does just a regular triangle to me.

If it really was a "hole" in the sun, then it would be visible all across the entire spectrum of light. IR to EVU. Not just in the EVU range.
edit on 25-1-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Someone with a rational thought?!

FINALLY.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join