It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Finally Promised Referendum on EU

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
My best guess is that the UK can't pick the cherries with this referendum.
So the vote will be like this:

- Stay completely in the EU with all consequences
- Get completely out of the EU with all consequences

Something like "Get out of the EU, but stay in the united market" won't be allowed to vote for and it isn't in Brussels interest. And it would create a precendence for other countries trying to do the same (like the scandinavias, Germany, Netherlands...), which creates problem for a centralised control from Brussel.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Talliostro

You might be right, but the UK staying in the single market would be beneficial to all parties - besides, it was what the electorate of the UK voted for in the mid 70's. But if the EU won't allow it then I'll vote for complete withdrawal.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
That is up to every eligible voter in the UK when the time has come.
But expect to hear many pro-EU things in the next years and how bad it would be to leave for the UK. Brussel losing it's grasp on the major players in the EU is definitly a worst case scenario for them, so you might see and experience propaganda and indoctrination in school.
If you can't build up pressure in the normal population, start with the children.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

"Voters will be given the chance to choose"

they mean, Voters will be given the perception of chance to choose.

^^ id be damn surprised if they got out.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Plus there would be a free trade agreement - the Swiss manage that quite well. Remember we are not in the Euro now so it would make little difference financially.

Seriously, you think the UK can just exit the EU but keep all the nice stuff? There's no way the UK could walk out with a free trade agreement

WE can exit with a free trade agreement YES.
Did you grandfathers fight in WW2 ? If so did they fight to be be a sovereign nation ?
It is treason as far as I am concerned to want us to be ruled by that non entity country Belgium from Brussels.

It wont be so easy, you think they are just going to bend over and let us set-up free trade agreements with them after leaving? It will have to be negotiated and it will be more expensive then what we have now. Were a big loss, i'd even imagine hidden trade sanctions for leaving, wouldn't be to far from the truth.

You cant compare Norway and Switzerland, they have never been in the E.U such free trade trade agreements were steps to get them closer and closer and obviously profit. Norway and Switzerland have to abide by many EU rules without any influence over how they are formed.

Were a country with big influence in the E.U. people will be hurt by the loss, its not going to be a walk in the park. There would definitely be a political backlash.

How much support does the unfavoured brother get from leaving the family?

"amicable divorce" is a pipe dream.
edit on 24-1-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Considering Britain had two world wars to keep Europe free, bankrupted itself twice, loaned millions to France in the first world war, loans that were never repaid, I think Europe has pooped on Britain from a great height, of course the Brits want to leave!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Well judging from the responses in this thread if we were to hold a vote today it would be a resounding 'out'. I think it was the Swedish Premier who backed Cameron's call for a leaner and more flexible EU - and many more contributing countries must feel the same as us.

It's a gravy train - no more no less - and it went off the rails quite some time ago.

Cameron's speech may well have a positive impact long before the UK's next election.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Camaron is only doing this because the conservative party are losing votes to ukip.
He is panicking. He knows he cannot win the next election because of the utter contempt the people of the UK have to his coalition (which are controlled by the banks).

The main reason the right wing UK politicians want to leave the EU is they want to erode the strong workers rights that membership brings. They are making the poorer more poor and putting yet more power in the hands of the rich.

It would be crazy to leave the EU for this reason.
Camaron is the worst leader our country has ever had.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tdk84

OK tdk - just to let you know that we would save billions by leaving the EU in charges , remember we are a net contributer.

We import more from Europe then we export.

We can organise a free trade agreement with who ever we want - the commonwealth is a good start, India, China etc. I say OUT !

I say if it is frankly traitorous to want IN when our Grandfathers fought and lost their lives, etc for the right for the British to be Free.

To say otherwise is very Lord Haw Haw ..

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talliostro
My best guess is that the UK can't pick the cherries with this referendum.
So the vote will be like this:

- Stay completely in the EU with all consequences
- Get completely out of the EU with all consequences

Something like "Get out of the EU, but stay in the united market" won't be allowed to vote for and it isn't in Brussels interest. And it would create a precendence for other countries trying to do the same (like the scandinavias, Germany, Netherlands...), which creates problem for a centralised control from Brussel.

I want Britain and the British Isles to be a free prosperous country, with a great standard of living for all who live here. A fair and humane place to live.

I actually agree with you Talliostro - but what is wrong with a free trading agreement with these countries.

I mean why does Brussels want political and financial control of the whole lot ? I have never understood this, without coming up with a very sinister answer.
edit on 24-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Can't answer you this one, sorry, why things are like they re atm...
And I won't participate in any fearmongering/ NWO or something like that Talk

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

reply to post by tdk84

OK tdk - just to let you know that we would save billions by leaving the EU in charges , remember we are a net contributer.

We import more from Europe then we export.

We can organise a free trade agreement with who ever we want - the commonwealth is a good start, India, China etc. I say OUT !

I say if it is frankly traitorous to want IN when our Grandfathers fought and lost their lives, etc for the right for the British to be Free.

To say otherwise is very Lord Haw Haw ..

The UK's contribution to the EU budget is a drop in the ocean compared with the benefits to business of being in the single market. It could be costly for UK exporters if they face EU legal arguments against UK standards - there could be a lot more court cases.
The UK could lose tax revenue if companies dealing with the eurozone, especially banks, move from the City to the EU.

The EU is the UK's main trading partner, worth more than £400bn a year, or 52% of the total trade in goods and services.
"The UK is always likely to be better positioned to secure beneficial trade deals as a member of the EU than as an individual and isolated player,"

Well when 52% of trade is coming from Europe we cant just ignore them and start trade with the dieing commonwealth.

As I've also previously mentioned this country has a reliance on FDI. We rank 3rd in the world for FDI and they set-up here because were in the E.U. You would be potentially throwing away 100's of billions.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I actually agree with you Talliostro - but what is wrong with a free trading agreement with these countries.

I mean why does Brussels want political and financial control of the whole lot ? I have never understood this, without coming up with a very sinister answer.

there nothing wrong with free trade agreements in fact it would solve a lot of problems with leaving the E.U. The problem is will they give them too us after leaving the E.U. As I said they are bound to make our lives difficult, 'amicable divorce' is a pipe dream.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tdk84

there nothing wrong with free trade agreements in fact it would solve a lot of problems with leaving the E.U. The problem is will they give them too us after leaving the E.U. As I said they are bound to make our lives difficult, 'amicable divorce' is a pipe dream.

So we as the people need to push for a free trade agreement - why do Brussels want political and financial control of Britain ????

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I've explained this, the reason why the want more control is to force fiscal policies and fix the economic mess. Its not fact though just the opinion of the German chancellor as a way to resolve the issues.

They want to stop expansion built from more debt, force fiscal control.

It wont happen though as no one wants to give up national power, everyone is objecting, France, UK and even the Germans themselves.

Were not the only country that has been moaning about these issues, they will be resolved.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I've explained this, the reason why the want more control is to force fiscal policies and fix the economic mess. Its not fact though just the opinion of the German chancellor as a way to resolve the issues.

It wont happen though as no one wants to give up national power, everyone is objecting, France, UK and even the Germans themselves.

Were not the only country that has been moaning about these issues, they will be resolved.

We give up this - we surrender our whole country, which we have done by default anyway actually.
I am just puzzled why you appear to support Merkel ?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Anyone who is worried about the consequences of leaving the EU need not bother, because this man breaks all of his promises. Its just another lie to trick people into voting for him.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

We give up this - we surrender our whole country, which we have done by default anyway actually.

I don't support, just educating you to why. Her idea is sound though, you can see the logic but who wants to give up national powers... no one.

Unfortunately as with everything in life it will boil down to money, there will have to be a careful balance of E.U. and national powers to keep people happy but the green stuff will be the deciding factor.

The worrying factor is we will probably never be given a vote. The Torys wont stay in power and labour are pro Europe.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I don't support, just educating you to why. Her idea is sound though, you can see the logic but who wants to give up national powers... no one.

Thanks for educating me - I actually read alot about this subject from many many sources, which is why I am so anti EU in its current form. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

A referendum after the next election? Obvious lie to get reelected, because we all know that if somehow he did manage to get in again, he would go back on that promise.

I'm still voting UKIP, I want my country back.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join