It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timothy Cannon, Oregon Police Officer, Arrested After Alleged Shotgun Shootout With Deputies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Timothy Cannon, Oregon Police Officer, Arrested After Alleged Shotgun Shootout With Deputies

www.huffingtonpost .com

An off-duty Oregon police officer was arrested on charges of attempted aggravated murder following a shootout with Washington County sheriff's deputies in which he allegedly pulled a shotgun on fellow officers.

Timothy Cannon, 13-year veteran of the Hillsboro, Ore., police patrol division got a visit from sheriff's deputies at his home around 8:30 p.m. Sunday night, after a domestic disturbance was reported to 911.

CBS local affiliate KOIN reports that Cannon had barricaded himself inside his home by the time deputies arrived. Cannon and a Washington County sheriff's deputy were wound
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-1-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2013 by Gemwolf because: Corrected title

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I am happy no one got killed. A shotgun? Wow, this could have been much worse for all people involved. I really want to know what was said when they stopped shooting. "My bad man my bad". Haha. Probably not, but no one got killed so we can laugh a laugh of relief. Plus, could have been a lot worse. There was a wife and 6 year old who were uninjured. Too bad someone actually got hit though, could have been avoided I would imagine? What was the purpose in barricading and having a stand off in the first place?

Had to post it, saw it wasn't there.

www.huffingtonpost .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Now I know I didn't catch on right away but they said

"If it is proved that... he was acting in a reckless dangerous manner toward his family and/or other police officers, he would not be able to continue as a police officer," Lieutenant Michael Rouches, the public information officer for the Hillsboro Police Department, told OPB.

So uh, they do not have evidence of this? It just seems like if this was not a cop, they would have been talking in a different manner?

If they do not have evidence of this I am very interested to know why. From what is reported, it would seem he barricaded himself and proceeded to pull a weapon when police were responding to a domestic disturbance? I am sure there is something we do not know but still these seems about as clear cut as these things get right?

Or are the other cops potentially liars in this situation? Very strange.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Time to ban guns from police officers.. We can't be having mentally ill police officers firing off high powered weapons such as shotguns. This needs to be taken to congress. This could of been a massacre.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
no mystery why this didn't make the news.Just like the cop who killed his wife and kid the himself recently

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Did I read this correctly?

A cop is accused of a domestic disturbance, has a shootout with Sheriff's deputies, they
evacuate the neighborhood as a precaution and......

If it is found that he is guilty he will be fired from the police force...

Jeez, that sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me....why don't they just take away some
*special* police officer merit points and make him say he is sorry.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Yep, these are the guys they wanna place in schools to "keep our kids safe"!
I say we just arm the teachers and admins who wanna carry.
At least they seem to want to help our kids learn and grow.
Or maybe schools should just get ballistic doors, windows and walls.
I dunno.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Self destructive spirals happen and I'm glad that when this one came to a head the guy was probably too drunk to shoot a shotgun well.

Also, it seems to me that the fact he has been charged with attempted aggravated murder (what is aggravated murder?) tells me that that he won't be treated with kiddie gloves. It probably helps that he was a police officer and the arresting officers were Sherrif's deputies (who he shot at with a shotgun. That kind of thing sticks with a fellow)
edit on 23-1-2013 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
His wife is also a High Ranking Police Officer and he has no prior domestic problems. I wonder what they're not telling.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by geldib

The plot thickens.

Perhaps my self destructive spiral hypothesis still explains it?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There are bad cops and good cops. Most of the bad ones are the high ranking ones.

The higher you go the more the corruption. Remember the captain of NYPD that was spraying mace on the Occupy wallstreet protesters?

Maybe the guy was mentally ill though and got what was coming to him. I don't believe in black and white.

We don't know the details so it is hard to speculate. Domestic violence. Perhaps he had too much whiskey to drink, the wife was not helping him enough, the sheriff didn't give him enough kickbacks, perhaps he just went ape #.

Cops are people too, not robots!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Cops have much higher rates of domestic violence, relationship trouble and self medicating than the non-cop population.

A cop in a relationship with a weapon in the home is a ticking time bomb.

All cops should be castrated and kept in isolation for their safety and ours.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Cops have much higher rates of domestic violence, relationship trouble and self medicating than the non-cop population.

Agreed, although the castration part is a bit extreme, even for me.

Cops also have a higher suicide rate than the general public. I've stated it before, but what should the government do with a group that has a high suicide rate and a tendency towards solving problems with violence? Why, you give them guns, high performance vehicles, handcuffs, shackles and torture devices..... then set them loose on the public, of course!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Uhh... that is because they have a hard job and work long hours while risking their lives. The corruption you speak of originates with politicians and trickles down to them, they normally sign up with good intentions I would imagine.

This attitude fuels the fire.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Agreed, although the castration part is a bit extreme, even for me.

Cops also have a higher suicide rate than the general public. I've stated it before, but what should the government do with a group that has a high suicide rate and a tendency towards solving problems with violence? Why, you give them guns, high performance vehicles, handcuffs, shackles and torture devices..... then set them loose on the public, of course!

Profitable to the taxpayers? NO. To Corrections Corp, among a long list of other corporations owned by the same entities?

IDK about the torture devices, but they need guns and high performance vehicles and handcuffs, and sometimes shackles. I know my grammer is wrong IDC I am tired. Look at that I spelled grammar wrong and I am not even going to correct it.

However, they would not be so violent if the corruption stemming from the politicians was not coming down to them and being force-fed to them.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by iRateGenius2397
no mystery why this didn't make the news.Just like the cop who killed his wife and kid the himself recently

This did make the news!
Oh wait I live near there and it was the local news.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

Look at that I spelled grammar wrong and I am not even going to correct it.

Stick it to the grammar police!

I believe that prospective cops must fit certain criteria to be of use to their govt masters. That is why they tend towards violence. I've seen them threaten people with violence just for asking questions.

The torture devices that I was referring to would be nightsticks, mace and the Taser.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I've seen them threaten people with violence just for asking questions.

Not to mention kids in car accidents who are in diabetic shock, grannies, people having seizures, etc., etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I believe that prospective cops must fit certain criteria to be of use to their govt masters. That is why they tend towards violence. I've seen them threaten people with violence just for asking questions..

Power doesnt corrupt. Corrupt people just seek out power.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

reply to post by NarrowGate

Look at that I spelled grammar wrong and I am not even going to correct it.

Stick it to the grammar police!

I believe that prospective cops must fit certain criteria to be of use to their govt masters. That is why they tend towards violence. I've seen them threaten people with violence just for asking questions.

The torture devices that I was referring to would be nightsticks, mace and the Taser.

I do know what you mean. I would love to go after child rapists and the like for the benefit of all. Too bad I would have to be a goon to do it. Oh well, that counts me out.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I believe that prospective cops must fit certain criteria to be of use to their govt masters. That is why they tend towards violence. I've seen them threaten people with violence just for asking questions..

Power doesnt corrupt. Corrupt people just seek out power.

Corrupt people seek power, but power does corrupt. What you say is like saying "Heroine is not addictive, Heroine addicts just seek out heroine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join