It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma senator proposes dog breed ban

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Almost any dog is capable of breaking bones, tearing skin and killing. They are after all, an ANIMAL. Can we ban people to? People kill. How about wild animals? They kill people hiking, biking, ect. Deer would be great to outlaw, I hit one with my car and could have died.
edit on 23-1-2013 by oonkala because: grammatical error

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

somebodys car may have never hit anyone before, outlaw cars cause your kid might get run over someday?

the thing with outlawing an animal, is ther are many other animals, if a person bought an animal to force its jaw into lockjaw position and treated like crap to be a killer, they will do the same DAMN THING with another animal of similar breed, so keep going down the line for the next 50 years till all breeds are outlawed?

by making really strict laws dealing with these types of animals , the people obtaining them and breeding them will think twice about treating them like crap and training them and disfiguring them to be killers. will most likely make sure on a leash and muzzle and would never let out of yard/house with out one.

so lets get rid of the pitbull. and i go get a rotwieler to F you kid up, oh no now what, go through the whole proccess again and wait another x amount of years for people to vote on hundreds of breed of animals,, ROFL.

"if your pit bull killed my little girl"

i do not own a dog.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

"Putting your hostility on display doesn't exactly help you come off as a rational thinking man who has honestly considered the legislation in question.

More like a David Duke supporting hardline immigration laws because he wants to "shoots a spic." "

tries to show dogs are evil, comes off showing humans are worse than pitbulls, heh , how ironic. ill make sure i keep my kids off his property to just incase he bites.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Therein lies part of the problem as to where are the limits? Breed Specific Legislation(BSL) is very faulty overall.

Originally posted by Violetshy
Last April a man in Mead Oklahoma was attacked by two pit bulls and died(as have many others), so now Patrick Anderson, is proposing to pass a bill that allows cities and communities to ban any breed of dog they believe is dangerous.

Let's review some common issues of BSL

Breed bans aren't necessary to protect people from dog bites

There are more than 4.5 million dog bites each year. This is an estimate as there is no central reporting agency for dog bites, thus breed and other information is not captured. Out of the millions of bites, about 10-20 are fatal each year. While certainly tragic, it represents a very small number statistically and should not be considered as a basis for sweeping legislative action.

The dog bite numbers don't tell the whole story It is imperative that the dog population in the community be understood. To simply pull numbers of attacks does not necessarily give an accurate representation of a breed. cont... at source below*

Such as factor- Each situation is different. There's always two sides to the story-while not reflecting every case. "Little Johnny was bitten but the story did not conclude that little Johnny was attacking the dog with a stick, which brought out a defense mechanism in a scared animal."

The breed doesn't predict the bite While breed is one factor that contributes to a dog's temperament, it alone cannot be used to predict whether a dog may pose a danger to his or her community. cont...

Each dog is different. You have to consider the upbringing, training and even the owners control over the dog and how well educated they are on the animal...etc.

Breed-specific laws don't work
The main conclusion of the study was that breed-specific legislation doesn't work for several reasons:

. There are inherent problems in trying to determine a dog's breed, making enforcement of breed-specific legislation difficult at best.

. Fatal attacks represent a very small portion of bite-related injuries and should not be the major factor driving public policy.

. Non-breed-specific legislation already exists and offers promise for the prevention of dog bites.

Although multiple communities have been studied where breed-specific legislation has been enacted, no convincing data indicates this strategy has succeeded anywhere to date(of study).... more at... Source

Banning one breed just creates demand for a new "killer" dog Two decades ago, pit bull types and Rottweilers (the most recent breeds targeted) attracted little to no public concern. cont...

When it comes down to "dog fighting" criminals remain despite the law. It should be addressed in itself with awareness as a start.

*Article continued here
• Other points:
Breed bans create new problems
Breed bans don't address the problem

Other Sources
. American Bar Association (ABA) urges repeal of all breed-specific laws

. Veterinarians( etc.) Can Play Role in Discussions on Breed-Specific Legislation

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join