It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma senator proposes dog breed ban

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by jimmyx

(ubu was his name) thought he was a lapdog.

Is that you Goldberg?

Still alive!
edit on 23-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

i'm not goldberg, but yes, i got it from the quirky ending to TV shows...."sit, ubu, sit, good dog"...and it was a picture of a black lab, always standing and never sitting, cracked me up everytime.
edit on 23-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I was going out in my car one,day and put my fully grown border collie in the back. As soon as I shut the boot lid I went to go to the front of the car when I noticed a neighbours pit bull staring and growling at me from ten feet away. He had escaped from the neighbours garden where he is kept in a large steel cage during the day as he is a watchdog.
I instantly without thinking shouted at him to go home and walked towards him. He immediately walked past me and waited until I got him back into where he stays. I never thought about it until later as I was just angry thinking he could have attacked my dog and I would have joined in.
Their dog never ever gets on with people, only the family where it lives.
Most dogs will never attack people if they are brought up well, but even so, it is in their genes and can't be changed for some things. My collie sometimes tries to nip people on the ankles and even me and I have had him over 9 years now. Can't change him, have tried. He once nipped me on the nose upstairs and couldn't run fast enough when I chased him out stairs!
I have never hit him and never will. You get more love from a dog than you can ever give them.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Wait, we're talking about Oklahoma?

I thought people there enjoyed their repressive, hardcore conservative values and crossbows? I thought people there needed these kinds of dogs to protect their tornado shelters?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

I thought people there enjoyed their repressive, hardcore conservative values and crossbows? I thought people there needed these kinds of dogs to protect their tornado shelters?

Don't paint with a wide brush. As a person living in OKC, the Pit Bull breed is one of the most common dogs roaming our streets and yes they are vicious without responsible owners, Having been bit square on the back by one, it hung on till I could break it's bite by the fence.

The Pitt Bull attacked me from behind over a fence without provocation. I was simply taking out the trash.

I have three dogs and love my canine friends. In fact, my sheppard mix has a little pitt in her. She can get crazy sometimes, but she gets a considerable amount of love.

I had the choice to put the dog down, but I didn't. On hind sight though, I could have been responsible for that same dog biting someone else. If I had the chance again, I would've had the dog put down. Even if it meant having a bad relationship with my irresponsible neighbor. I moved instead. Because some people just don't get it.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Three Most Agressive Dog Breeds

*Hint* They are the Dachshund, Chihuahua and the Jack Russell.

reply to post by daryllyn

Originally posted by daryllyn
The pack mentality very much could have played a part.

It usually does. People who aren't VERY knowledgeable about dogs shouldn't own some of the "gladiator breeds", such as GSDs, Rottweilers, Bulldogs, etc.

I just know that it's not a chance I am willing to take. I am scarred for life when it comes to pits, or large dogs in general, as I was bitten on the face as a child by a family pet (not my family). My crime? I grabbed a yellow marker.

Totally understand that. I was bit once... by a GSD.
(not mine) I understand someone not wanting to own the bully breeds, but I don't understand or agree with banning them for everyone.

I still love dogs though. We just rescued a lovely little girl from a shelter in the area.

Very cool.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Violetshy

i can tell you from experience that chihuahuas are more aggressive than Pits, Rotts, or Shepherds.

I agree, this is a photo of me from last night when I went on call to fix someones laptop, moments after this photo was taken the chihuahua savagely dribbled down the back of my neck then proceeded to lick my ear to death...

On a serious note, I agree with banning naturally aggressive dogs. You hear stories of some of the most lovable dogs who one day just snap, and dogs like pit bulls, which are strong dogs, can do a lot of damage.

It's true that the way they are treated by their owner affects their attitudes, but in some cases just their natural mindset can take over.
edit on 23/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Glad to see you survived that horrific ordeal. I once got my ear licked off to death, It still brings me nightmares

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I am for banning breeds in order to protect the dog. Keep dogs out of urban areas, any dog over 30 lbs. Then the creatures won't be used for fighting.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SinMaker

Oh, I've been to Oklahoma and spent time in OKC. As long as those agressive dogs don't chase me down for my Big Truck Taco -- I'm good

You guys could do what they've done in Eastern Europe. Poison traps. Or, just run around with AK-47's and shoot them. Apparently stray dogs were/are a big problem in Moldova. Not long before I visited Chisnau, one of the "big ticket items" of the newly elected government was to take care of the stray dog problem.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be stated:

This is nothing new, infact this has been around for years, and there is a history in the US of doing such. During World War I and World War II, the german shepard was an unpopular dog to own and some suggested banning such.

Having read the law that is propsed, there are a few things that can be stated, one is that it is not banning one breed, but those that are deemed as being dangerous to the general public. This would include, based off of the data that is collected, any and all breeds that are known or have been shown to be agressive, if there are any bites or known deaths specific to one particular breed.

The problem is, that the pit bull has a bad history in this country. At one time, if you look back at the popular media, it was the all american dog, every home had one. Even looking back at the old Our gang or Little Rascals, the dog known as Pete, was a pit bull. From my own experience, having worked for a humane society, they were very lovable and just wanted attention from anyone. But that has been changed, bred to bring out their more agressive nature, to where they were used in dog fighting.

It is this agressive nature of theirs, the want and drive to fight, is what should be addressed, not the species. Even the dog whisperer, Ceaser Milan, who is known to work with and rehabilitate these kinds of animals will state, that it is not the breed, but the people. The laws should reflect this, rather than just to ban one breed or as they could be damaging or harmful. What is not taken into consideration about this kind of law, or any like this is that dogs have been bred for traits from the dawn of time.

Man has domesticated the wild dog to be a companion, then bred for fur color, or size, or to resist water, or to hunt, and even to protect. And no one ever thought about it having a negative impact on the dog, when they go through this form of selective breeding, to keep one particular trait or another going. And people find these traits to be desirable.

Nor does this law address things like what is the responsiblity of the state, when it comes to say those who have said animals as family pets, or even what sort of compensation that they can give to those families who will have to give up their family pet, in order to follow the law.

It is only a symptom and this law is a bandaid. Right now it is pit bulls that appear to be the target, what is next say the home owner that likes exotic pets such as scorpions, or the person who has parrots as pets? ARe they going to be targeted next cause some one could get bit or hurt due to the nature of those animals?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Nor does this law address things like what is the responsiblity of the state, when it comes to say those who have said animals as family pets, or even what sort of compensation that they can give to those families who will have to give up their family pet, in order to follow the law.

When they passed BSL in Denver a couple of years ago they literally went door to door to drag family pets out for euthanizing. An underground railroad of sorts sprung up as families tried desperately to smuggle their beloved pets out to what they could only hope were good homes.

A pet holocaust. Graphic Images
edit on 23-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is rediculous. I've seen an "Attack Chihuahua" that would scare the hell out of an intruder. Breed will always take a backseat to training and the love of a good family. Any politician trying to say otherwise is just riding uneducated public sentiment to get his or her name in the paper.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XXX777

Any animal with a brain has "a mind of its own" Its not the breed, its how it is raised and treated.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The breed gets a bad rap because of irresponsible owners. The pit bull has become the choice breed for thugs. I often wonder how these thugs treat their dogs. An aggressive and abusive owner will train his dog to also be aggressive.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I had one myself and since the time my son was born until he was 3 (had to move to a place without pets) my Pit loved him, slept with him and was his punching bag and pony. Never once was she aggressive to any other animals or humans.

This is really my only experience with Pit Bulls and from my view point its how you raise the dog, it is the people who breed these dogs for violence to blame.

If there was a another breed they targeted and forgot about them I think the typical Pit you run into would be no different from a Golden Retriever.
edit on 1/23/2013 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The problem is that people are not taking responsiblity for their pets, and ultimately are using such as weapons, to where it adds to the problems. Socialization is essential with any dog breed, cause if one goes feral, then it becomes a far more dangerous creature.

I know from expiernce that such is the case from my mothers dog. This little chiahuah mix, well lets just say his previous owners never socialized him, among other things and one of the problems my mother had is that there is always a risk that he could bite someone. But rather than get rid of him, we work with him and when people come over, he is put into his crate as to prevent someone from getting bit, causing more problems, taking responsibility for his actions, as a responsible pet owner.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

That is the problem without a doubt.

Rounding up the animals en masse and slaughtering them however is not the solution.

If anything round up the fools who think it's acceptable to treat a pet in such a manner.

Once the breed is banned and all the animals murdered these fools will just find another beautiful thing to molest and corrupt.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Pitt bulls specifically should require some license.
I own a pitt bull. most gentle softy dog I have ever owned, but I am not fooled into thinking it doesn't have the ability to snap a person in half given a moment if something bad happens..
Its a furry shotgun, and owners need to realize this. Just because it licks and loves you doesn't mean it will do that to everyone always. Understanding that makes you a good owner.

Pitts don't attack the most...the issue with the bulls is that when they attack, they tend to finish the job more often than other breeds.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sorry I have not done a formal introduction
I am from Kay County, Oklahoma.. I will challenge you because you troll to find something stupid to post on ATS.. Mom and Dad have a Rottweiler living in the home.. her name is Lucy and she can take a pit bull down.. she loves us and bring a baby to her she will smell and smell.. now is the fun part.. hurt that baby she will be on you like a monkey on a cocoanut tree.. you can not ban dogs only the stupid ... wait can we ban stupid?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Right on .. I got your back

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

Ha, I love my doggies..but they are Great Shepherds..they actually use their butts to keep my kids in the yard. Never in an aggressive way. One of them was adopted at 5 years old and the other we got from a friend when she was a puppy. They've never been aggressive to any of us, but they are downright vicious towards coyotes if they come near our house(we live in the country). I also love our tornado shelter, hey don't knock it until a twister is plowin through your town
. Though, I guess I'm more of a libertarian and don't fit in with the majority here, but I don't know what else to do. I don't vote for these guys that run this state, but since I'm not with the majority of conservatives then my votes are just a waste of time (at least I try). We are honestly trying to find a job that will relocate us somewhere north right now. Anyway, here are my doggies on a normal winter day(well not that normal as we don't usually get snow:

and here is my female dog just playing with the neighbors dog
I know it looks like they are fighting, but they really weren't. The female(white dog), and the black male dog are not full grown yet and they tend to play like this. They've absolutely never harmed a human or even each other.

I know animals are not humans and have instincts so I'm still weary of them no matter how they may seem most of the time, but I just feel like there could be another way to handle this dog biting issue. I agree with the majority of posts on this thread, and I thank you all for your contributions! Definitely something to think about, because here in Oklahoma this could impact a lot of families.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join