It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma senator proposes dog breed ban

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by resoe26

That awesome lock jaw
That awesome lock jaw that protects my children if an intruder steps in my effin house.
MY DOG TAKES CARE OF IT WHILE I GRAB MY PISTOLA!

There's no such thing.

On this topic Dr. 1. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia wrote:
"The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Still though, what I'm getting at is every Pitbull including mine that I have known, were protective of thier families. Yeah they can be agressive because of thier handler and how they were trained.

But IMHO I am glad that mine is protective of my children.
They are nice dogs, just like any other dog. It's all in how the OWNER raises them.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sorry, jimmy - You're wrong. People who don't know dogs - don't know dogs.

More than 20 breeds are incorrectly identified as "pit bulls". Boxers, pointers, labs, rotties, American bulldogs, mastiffs, German shepherds
and more have ALL been incorrectly identified as "pit bulls" by ignorant bite victims.

Mistaken Identity

Banning the breed is like banning guns. Then only the criminals (those who train their dogs to fight) would have them.
edit on 1/23/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

let me ask you, why do you think that the pit bull is used almost exclusively in illegal dog-fights? what sets it apart from a cocker spanial, a retriever, a collie, or a hound?...what "qualities" are associated with that particular breed?

That awesome lock jaw
That awesome lock jaw that protects my children if an intruder steps in my effin house.

you mean like these intruders
www.click2houston.com...
www2.wspa.com...
www.theportugalnews.com...
these are just 3 of many attacks this month

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

We've come full circle back to the emotional pandering I see.

So how many thousands, tens of thousands, of terriers didnt bite anyone this month? Or for their entire lives?
edit on 23-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Sorry, jimmy - You're wrong. People who don't know dogs - don't know dogs.

More than 20 breeds are incorrectly identified as "pit bulls". Boxers, pointers, labs, rotties, American bulldogs, mastiffs, German shepherds
and more have ALL been incorrectly identified as "pit bulls" by ignorant bite victims.

Mistaken Identity

Banning the breed is like banning guns. Then only the criminals (those who train their dogs to fight) would have them.
edit on 1/23/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

let me ask you, why do you think that the pit bull is used almost exclusively in illegal dog-fights? what sets it apart from a cocker spanial, a retriever, a collie, or a hound?...what "qualities" are associated with that particular breed?

That awesome lock jaw

you mean like these intruders
www.click2houston.com...
www2.wspa.com...
these are just 3 of many attacks this month

Once again.... It is the owner and how they raised the dog.
If they raised the dog to be standoffish... well then they should expect it.

Also, many Pure Bred dogs now in days may be potentially bred in thier own litter... Causing other ailments.. possible mental ones making them overly aggressive. Also rabies.

Sad when these cases happen. But this is not OFTEN. You act as if every pitbull is evil.
Like i said before, I know many folks with pitbulls... and they are all very nice dogs.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That awesome lock jaw

There's no such thing.

"The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Still though, what I'm getting at is every Pitbull including mine that I have known, were protective of thier families. Yeah they can be agressive because of thier handler and how they were trained.

They are nice dogs, just like any other dog. It's all in how the OWNER raises them.

unless one of your children falls on the family pit bull.

you know, i'm done...have as many pitbulls as you want around...but, if one comes near me or my family, that dog is dead. period
edit on 23-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

That awesome lock jaw

There's no such thing.

unless one of your children falls on the family pit bull.

My daughter plays with her tea set ontop of my dog. My son use to jump on her and try to ride her. All she did was sit there calmly and lick them. I have many photos of my pitbull sleeping right next to both my children.
Portugal news ... That was ONE case man.
get over it. For all we know, that dog could have had rabies from fighting a racoon.
edit on 23-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

you could probably search around all day on google if you wish Jimbo Slice.. and find a gang of dog bitings. But it will be written by pitbull hating ignorant folks such as yourself.

You can come see my pitbull if you want. Just make sure you don't sneak into my house. I'll introduce you to her. she will lick you to death.
but stay away from my children... she doesn't like strangers near them much.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You outta go buy yourself a nice cute lil pitbull puppy...
Raise it with love and treat it like your friend.

You'll be surprised how quickly your mind will change about them.

PS.
Been bit multiple times by cocker spaniels... Whats wrong with those dogs... haha

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I used to love pit bulls. I had roommates that had three of them, and they were the sweetest thing ever.

One day, they stopped getting along, they were fine with people, but, not with each other.

The roommates were a couple, the guy would go off to do whatever, leaving his girlfriend and I at home. On one such occasion, the dogs began to fight. These dogs were not fighting dogs and they had not been abused, they were 'babies'.

The fighting was happening in the living room of a house trailer, we had no car or phone, we're out in the country where the nearest neighbor was 2 miles away. One of the dogs turned on my roommate and latched on to her arm and shook. He let go and went right back to the other dog.

We dragged the fighting dogs down the hallway and managed to get them outside the back door. Blood was squirting out of my friend's arm, I was terrified. Like I said, we didn't have a phone or car, I ran barefooted to the nearest neighbor to get ahold of the missing roomie. I have never been so scared in my life.

The dogs were really torn up. The injuries showed more on the white dog. He went missing and we were certain he had gone off somewhere to die. It was pretty bad.

My point is, that I saw 'loving pets' literally rip each other apart while also biting the 'primary caretaker' in the process. I have seen what they can do firsthand. I would never have one in my house or around my children.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The government needs to stop banning things for my safety. Let ME look after my safety. If I screw up and die then oh well, at least I'm not around to complain about it. People need to have more personal responsibility and stand up to the government and let them know that they can take care of themselves just fine without them meddling every 2 to 3 minutes.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

And when your friend told them to stop... they didn't listen?
Doesn't sound like she was the primary caretaker... Sounds like her boyfriend who was at work was the "pack leader"..

Ever hear of a presa canario?
Way more aggressive than pitbulls. Some dogs believe they are IN A PACK.
Apparently your friend (in the dogs opinion) was either lower in "rank" or challenging

Bet the boyfriend was there... they would have stayed under control

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

That can and does happen with ANY breed. I would have to ask if the dogs' needs were being met as regards exercise.

I have a friend whose dog killed her other dog. A totally different breed. My dogs are not pit bulls. Yet I separate them when I'm away. It's the responsible thing to do. Dogs are DOGS. One tiny accident can cause a reaction that causes a deadly fight.

Dog fighting and dog aggression are NOT breed specific. Any dog of any breed can be aggressive under the right circumstances.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Dog fighting and dog aggression are NOT breed specific. Any dog of any breed can be aggressive under the right circumstances.

My terrier and corgi got into it yesterday over what I think was a challenge to a seat.

Every once in a while the pecking order gets challenged. I see it with my chickens too.

The rooster straightens out the hens and the owner straightens out the dogs.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Did you read the article? Look up the town? It's a whopping 123 people strong and every one of them is # poor and stone stupid and they just let their dogs, all breeds, roam hungry, unlicensed, un-neutered and untrained.

You want to ban terriers? Okay. Then what do you do when all the trailer trash and ghetto trash start breeding them nonstop so they can have the new "killer dog" that's against the law?

Attack the problem not the symptom.

I agree. If you don't train your dog right or control it then you can have a potentially dangerous dog REGARDLESS of breed. What kills me is that so many people are afraid of specific breeds when all dogs have teeth and all dogs can bite. Little ankle biters (small breeds) tend to be spoiled by their owners and develop neurotic issues and aggression. The reason they don't make the news is because they are so small they don't cause a lot of damage when they attack.

As someone else pointed out already in this thread, the breed that is "dangerous" is the flavor of the decade and it changes each time the breed becomes popular enough with the drug sellers and gang bangers to be widely banned. Then they switch to another dog breed to scare off competitors and protect their stash and the cycle begins all over again.

For whomever said a dog bit your child, I am sorry to hear that. Don't take this personally, but as a parent you should always keep an eye on your children with any animal. Accidents happen and kids often act like wounded prey (screaming, high pitched shrieking, flailing limbs and running around) which can trigger attacks from animals, especially animals with higher prey drives. Children also like to stare directly into the eyes of animals. In the animal kingdom this is a challenge and most children are at the animal's eye level anyway so that simply makes it worse and puts the child's face at a level to be struck. If you have ever observed dog behavior (not interfering, just watching) you will see older dogs discipline puppies and younger dogs by nipping them in the face. That won't hurt a puppy, but a human child that has only soft skin and a different shaped face? Yah it can hurt them a lot.

Parents also tend to let their children crawl all over dogs. In this example it's a breed that is great with kids and families and the dogs are HUGE, but if that dog had been smaller, like sheltie sized, etc then the kid could have put enough weight on it to make the dog really nervous and if even smaller, could have hurt a tiny dog by pushing, laying or even falling on it. At about 30 seconds in the dog looks like it would like to get up and leave since the child is messing with it. Overall cute video with an amazingly tolerant dog, but could have just as easily been a bad video if a dog with the wrong personality or one with a hip, rib or back injury was substituted in its place.
www.youtube.com...

One other thing, if we ban anything it should be puppy mills and backyard breeders. Not just for the horrid conditions puppy mills and some backyard breeders put their dogs in, but because they don't care and just breed indescriminantly. I have known two backyard breeders who bred full brother-sister dogs to each other just to make a little money and let their kids see the miracle of life in person. Both of these people also got their dogs from a backyard breeder selling "purebreds" (with no paper documentation, but they were promised to be healthy good quality purebreds) for money. So in all likelihood you have two generations of inbreeding which causes neurotic mental problems, as well as other physical health issues. Indiscriminate breeding on top of poor ownership (in some cases down right abuse to make the animal "thug" worthy) and you have a potentially dangerous dog... but it's not the dogs fault nor specific to a breed itself. If anything is related to the "breed" in that case it would simply be the particular inbred line of dogs they are using to churn out crazy animals, but that does not condem a whole breed. I don't particularly support breeders simply because we have had virtually all mutts, but real breeders who care tend to specialize in one breed and they breed for physical and mental health of the dogs. A pit from a real breeder vs one from some random neighborhood family will be very different in personality and health.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

you could probably search around all day on google if you wish Jimbo Slice.. and find a gang of dog bitings. But it will be written by pitbull hating ignorant folks such as yourself.

You can come see my pitbull if you want. Just make sure you don't sneak into my house. I'll introduce you to her. she will lick you to death.

you know, i and my wife (married fo 30 years) would probably like to meet your family, say, at a restuarant. i'm sure we would get along and probably have an enjoyable time. but it would have to be away from the pitbull, that's all i'm saying.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

They owned a five acre lot, so there was plenty of room to run,and, the owner would take them out to play, usually fetch. I can't remember if they had been out to play that day or not as this happened about ten years ago.

The dogs were decently trained, but, the owners were not experts by any means. The pack mentality very much could have played a part.

I just know that it's not a chance I am willing to take. I am scarred for life when it comes to pits, or large dogs in general, as I was bitten on the face as a child by a family pet (not my family). My crime? I grabbed a yellow marker.

I still love dogs though. We just rescued a lovely little girl from a shelter in the area.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

you know, i and my wife (married fo 30 years) would probably like to meet your family, say, at a restuarant. i'm sure we would get along and probably have an enjoyable time. but it would have to be away from the pitbull, that's all i'm saying.

I'm game.
I'll buy the drinks

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

That can and does happen with ANY breed. I would have to ask if the dogs' needs were being met as regards exercise.

I have a friend whose dog killed her other dog. A totally different breed. My dogs are not pit bulls. Yet I separate them when I'm away. It's the responsible thing to do. Dogs are DOGS. One tiny accident can cause a reaction that causes a deadly fight.

hey, BH...i've seen you here on ATS,and i agree with you 99.99% of the time. i respect your decisions on whatever animal companion you like. it's just on this one issue involving pit bulls, that i'm a real a** hole. i had a black lab for years, it was smart, great with my son, great watchdog, and too often (ubu was his name) thought he was a lapdog.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

(ubu was his name) thought he was a lapdog.

Is that you Goldberg?

Still alive!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

I'm game.
I'll buy the drinks

what?...and i suppose i have to buy dinner?....uhhmm....do you like soup and salad?....and if we go, my wife can only have one drink, after that, she has an embarrassing (but, entertaining) habit or throwing her head back and cackling when she hears anything funny

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join