It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk driving permits in Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Source

I seriously wonder bout Ireland passing something like this

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

While only three council members voted "no" on the proposed legislation, five apparently support the creation of special permits for driving in sparsely populated areas while intoxicated, according to the Guardian.

Councillor Danny Healy-Rae , who spearheaded the motion, claimed that citizens drinking and driving in rural areas had "never killed anyone" and argued that the permits would actually help prevent "a lot of them falling into depression," reports Irish news site TheJournal.ie.
(op Link)

I'm going to make a WILD guess here and say those 5 who thought this was a good idea are frequently seen drinking it up in local pubs themselves. Umm... Ireland needs some new council members there I'm thinking.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

no .. way .. while I am all for legalizing anything in the privacy of your own home.. you should never let people risk killing others... if this is true, it's nonsense

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
reply to post by neobludragon

no .. way .. while I am all for legalizing anything in the privacy of your own home.. you should never let people risk killing others... if this is true, it's nonsense

Its all over the internet just type in Drunk driving permits. Its sad but true.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This is so typical and funny from south west Ireland. Im Irish but live in Australia. The guy Healy-Rae is a son of a local oul codger Jackie Healy Rae who used to be a prominent politcal figure in Kerry for years. The whole family of Healy-Raes are tied up in multiple businesses in the area and hthe family controls or owns numerous pubs. For deacdes.... decades..., they have been pulling strokes like this and getting away with it. Kerry has some of the best facilities and roads in the whole country because of this family. They always were elected as independant candidates for the parliment in Dublin and for years Fianna Fail had to use independant candidates to swing the balance of power in their favour over the Fibne Gael party(now currently in power). The Haely Rae's had Fianna Fail over a barrel as they needed their support to keep power and so made sure funds were used dispraportionately for the benefit of Kerry. Irish pubs are closing down at the rate of a pub a week at home, and i would say that some of the Haely Rae businesss ae going the same way. The recession combined by (right and proper) drink driving laws have hurt the trade for country pubs and id say this band of cowboys are no different. The depression of punters malarkey is just codswallop, and its actually funny how any people swallow it. But unfortunately, the Haely Raes are very popular with cap wearing/guinness drinking/tweed jacket wearing/rolled up cigarette gombeens that you see around the place. The Haely Raes themselevs are a tourist trap as they look like charcters straight out of that film with the leprechauns that Sean Connery was in. I hate it when international newspapers even highlight these guys as it stereotypes irish people into a backward bunch of potato picking nitwits.

Here is another story. Another brother of this guy entered a celebrity big brother competition. He actually won the vote from the public against a load of pretty Girls and gay fellas that normally would emerge victorius from these types of horrific programmes. It emerged later that around 10,000 phone calls were made from the office in the parliment buildings of the aforementioned's father Jackie Haely Rae, ringing into vote on the show. 10,000 calls!! Word has it that he had his secretary ringing constantly for a week, to make sure his son won the show, costing the tax payer about 15,000 in a phone bill while doing it. It would be hilaroius if it wasnt true.

The bottom line is that the Haely Raes are almost comically corrupt and have not just a brass neck but a titanium neck and would definately try and pull a stunt like this if it meant making a few bucks for their businesses. The sick thing is that they are that popular, they may even get this over the finishing line.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Warchief666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2013 by Warchief666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
As much as this sounds ridiculous, Its certainly worth experimenting with. People are going to drink drive regardless of laws whilst putting others at risk.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Pfft... Its in Kerry, nuff said

A true story (allegedly)...
A fellow was explaining to a Kerryman how nature sometimes compensates for a
person's deficiences.
"For example", he told him, "if a man is deaf, he may have keener sight, and if a
man is blind, he may have a very keen sense of smell".
"I think i see what you mean", said the Kerryman, "I've often noticed that if a man
has one short leg, then the other one is always a bit longer".

top topics

join