It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stereotypes True? Linked to Genes? Study shows Genes tell mice how to build burrows...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

By studying oldfield mice – colloquially known as ‘beach mice’ (Peromyscus polionotus) – as they dug through a mound of dirt in her San Diego garage, biologist Hopi Hoekstra discovered that the diligent rodents construct their burrows in extremely predictable patterns.

Working on a hunch that the mice probably inherit this behavior, she and a team of colleagues conducted a genetic analysis of the tiny rodents and found that three relatively small parts of the mouse’s genome control the burrow’s size and features.

Source

So Scientist's find 3 genome's in this species of mice, that control the style and pattern of the burrows being built.

My next logical conclusion, something I find inherent in myself, in many others, and what I have considered for the last decade is that most stereotypes are true and are based on different genome factors differing by gender, race, sexuality, and a number of other factors.

For example, I am of East European descent, where Alcoholism is a BIG problem. I used to think in my teens that this is B.S. and later in my 20's actually discovered I craved alcohol and it became a problem to me at a certain point in my life. I find that my body craves alcohol more so then most of my friends who are not of the same heritage as me.

I also have hispanic, asian, arabic, and black friends that I went to high school with, and they also describe various cravings that are stereotypically attributed to their race, that they find they crave more so than those of other races..

I think many of these stereotypes are true and scientists will eventually discover they are genetic, as will be the whole lgbt issue, mass muderers, school shooters, psychopaths, and possibly a vast array of other factors to consider.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure about this.. I think genes are informed by our own patterns.. it wouldn't make sense the other way

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I'm not sure about this.. I think genes are informed by our own patterns.. it wouldn't make sense the other way

In other words.. I think genetics is informed by situation and evolution.. otherwise it's nonsense.. what use would it be? .. it HAS to be informed by the situation.. and thefore adaptation and theefore evolution.. mind you evolution is local to you ... that trait may be necessary there and not wlesewhere..
edit on 1/22/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Behaviour is controlled by the brain, and...

At least a third of the approximately 20,000 different genes that make up the human genome are active (expressed) primarily in the brain. This is the highest proportion of genes expressed in any part of the body.

...so behaviour is certainly controlled by genetics.

However, it is massively politically incorrect to say so, because that means different groups of people around the world do indeed behave differently according to their genetic makeup.
This fact really disturbs the "we are all the same under the skin" idea.
So, the fact cant be mentioned.

link

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

By studying oldfield mice – colloquially known as ‘beach mice’ (Peromyscus polionotus) – as they dug through a mound of dirt in her San Diego garage, biologist Hopi Hoekstra discovered that the diligent rodents construct their burrows in extremely predictable patterns.

Working on a hunch that the mice probably inherit this behavior, she and a team of colleagues conducted a genetic analysis of the tiny rodents and found that three relatively small parts of the mouse’s genome control the burrow’s size and features.

Source

So Scientist's find 3 genome's in this species of mice, that control the style and pattern of the burrows being built.

My next logical conclusion, something I find inherent in myself, in many others, and what I have considered for the last decade is that most stereotypes are true and are based on different genome factors differing by gender, race, sexuality, and a number of other factors.

For example, I am of East European descent, where Alcoholism is a BIG problem. I used to think in my teens that this is B.S. and later in my 20's actually discovered I craved alcohol and it became a problem to me at a certain point in my life. I find that my body craves alcohol more so then most of my friends who are not of the same heritage as me.

I also have hispanic, asian, arabic, and black friends that I went to high school with, and they also describe various cravings that are stereotypically attributed to their race, that they find they crave more so than those of other races..

I think many of these stereotypes are true and scientists will eventually discover they are genetic, as will be the whole lgbt issue, mass muderers, school shooters, psychopaths, and possibly a vast array of other factors to consider.

If we can just find the genes that make the colored folk violent we would be set. Stats are not racist.

Gs

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

What would you be "set" for exactly? Can you elaborate cause right now all I'm thinking is maybe youll get a couple "I told you so's" and maybe an online parading of data?

Your comment makes me Wonder if racism is genetic also? Maybe just a little?
Not that I'm indirectly saying youre racist, but one thought breeds another.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Coming from a place where I believe in reincarnation, is it not possible that the soul marries into a genetic family that reflects it's previous genetic tendencies toward life? It may be the same family where it got the understanding in the first place or a different family that matches their understanding.

Just a thought out there with no attachment to it being true or false.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

you mean evolution doesn't make sense given these findings. another example of cutting down facts to fit preconceived theories then calling it science.

you're going into defense mode, tossing out evidence that doesn't fit your beliefs. why defend a belief that could be wrong?

In other words.. I think genetics is informed by situation and evolution.. otherwise it's nonsense.. what use would it be? .. it HAS to be informed by the situation.. and thefore adaptation and theefore evolution

it doesn't have to be, in fact, it suggests that evolution is wrong. i'm not attacking you, but can you consider that evolution might not be true?
edit on 23-1-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Reply to post by dominicus

I have no source for this but look it up if you're interested, I heard a factoid the other day that the root cause of many addictions is stress whilst in the womb, and that (for example) if a woman drinks habitually while pregnant it can actually stimulate addictive tendencies in the child later on. The same goes for any addictive substances a foetus is exposed to.

Just a thought when you said you felt prone to alcoholism, I am not trying to insinuate your mother was an alcoholic.

Peace and love!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charlestrad
Reply to post by dominicus

I have no source for this but look it up if you're interested, I heard a factoid the other day that the root cause of many addictions is stress whilst in the womb, and that (for example) if a woman drinks habitually while pregnant it can actually stimulate addictive tendencies in the child later on. The same goes for any addictive substances a foetus is exposed to.

Just a thought when you said you felt prone to alcoholism, I am not trying to insinuate your mother was an alcoholic.

Peace and love!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That's perfectly fine, as I put this out there for criticism. My mother didn't drink or smoke when pregnant, but my father was and still is an alcoholic, so there's always the possibility of an alcoholism gene being over-expressed in him at the time, and then passed down to me. It's all speculation right now and open to interpretation.

I can see the outcry now if they found a "violence" gene being expressed more so in say certain races, or more so in teen males, amongst many other things

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
well, it looks like researchers are pointing to a gene that most Superviser's have, prominently found in positions of leadership:

When they crunched the numbers, researchers found that one gene—rs4950—was significantly associated with those who occupied supervisory roles in the workplace.

“The conventional wisdom—that leadership is a skill—remains largely true, but we show it is also, in part, a genetic trait," lead author Dr. Jan-Emmanuel De Neve of the University College London’s School of Public Policy, said. “Although leadership should still be thought of predominantly as a skill to be developed, genetics—in particular the rs4950 genotype—can also play a significant role in predicting who is more likely to occupy leadership roles.”

Are You and Your Boss Genetically Different?

Looks like the levee is beginning to break, where researchers will start finding all sorts of genes responsible for all sorts of things.

Crime? Psychopaths? Gay? Fat? Stupid? Smart?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I have to say being italian I know a lot of friends and relatives that are masons and in particular work with bricks...two of them are third generation so perhaps there is something to that...just a thought

new topics

top topics

join