Can someone tell me what this is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Now, please don't insult me because of this. I found something in the sky today at midnight and wasn't sure what it is. I'm assuming it's a star, but have never seen a star this close to the moon. If someone has, please let me know. Please ignore the lens flare that's present in the photo too. Also, this didn't move. Please give me your thoughts, and NO SARCASM. I hate when people use sarcasm when someone is genuinely interested in what they found. That said, here's the photo:

Also, I would like to point out that I used an iPhone app called Planets and it didn't show me any stars that I could see(or any planets). Not sure if it was inaccurate(it has great ratings), or what. Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think it maybe Jupiter, if I remember correctly there was suppose to be a conjunction of it close to the moon. Universe Today had a piece about it today.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Its hard to be sure without your location, but it's probably Jupiter, or Aldebaran

I use an iPhone app also - möbius skymap.
edit on 22-1-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

Yep looks like jupiter

www.skyandtelescope.com...

link   

Jupiter maybe.
I have been watching Jupiter for a while now and last night it was pretty much like your pic.

link   
jupiter moon conjunction

Sometimes it pays to use all the tools one has at their disposal, such as search engines, astronomy sites etc.

Nice photo though.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chansi3
I think it maybe Jupiter, if I remember correctly there was suppose to be a conjunction of it close to the moon. Universe Today had a piece about it today.

I think you are right. I just opened the app again, and saw Jupiter was right behind the moon.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
jupiter moon conjunction

Sometimes it pays to use all the tools one has at their disposal, such as search engines, astronomy sites etc.

Nice photo though.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
jupiter moon conjunction

Nice photo though.

I just looked at the link you provided and it definitely looks like Jupiter.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Its hard to be sure without your location, but it's probably Jupiter, or Aldebaran

I use an iPhone app also - möbius skymap.
edit on 22-1-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

I'm pretty sure it's Jupiter. But my location is Pennsylvania.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Thats jupiter it looks more like at 5 oclock to the moon from northern england if you get me. Its really bright tonight and shining through the clouds.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My guess is
Top left of moon is Jupiter and
the one to the right is a moon dog ( sun dog )

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Nice pic! Awhile ago I borrowed a Celestron telescope, a small C-5, and you could make out the moons of Jupiter very plainly! If you ever get a chance, give it a shot. It's awesome. As I remember I could see five moons.

See? Nobody bugged you, but then, you were being reasonable and not claiming space aliens either.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
ok so it's jupiter

???
why does your pic show a new or full moon and, i just looked outside, the moon i'm seein' tonight is a little more than half

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
ok so it's jupiter

???
why does your pic show a new or full moon and, i just looked outside, the moon i'm seein' tonight is a little more than half

I believe it was the camera that did that. If I remember correctly, it was more than half. I'll get you the exposure timings and see if that tells you anything.
edit on 22-1-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Here is the first pic I took during that time. I decided to use this pic instead of getting the exposure timings. You can see the moon's proper shape this time.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

see your pic and that looks right.

whew! that's a relief. a new conspiracy where the moon presents it self differently to different poeple would just be too much, probably get 404ed here.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It was Jupiter!

I have a similar picture of what you posted!

A remarkable site none the less! The sky has yet to disappoint me during the night!
edit on 25-1-2013 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm from Texas and saw this same exact star that he's referring to. I talked to my brother and he saw it from Pennsylvania.

I'm assuming it is Jupiter, but that was from an old thread back in like 2004 on some random site I found while searching on Google about it.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure if it's more than just a random observation of a star. Then again, I lived in the woods for 3 months and stared at the stars for hours each night; I hadn't noticed it previously.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hey, how and where was this taken?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join