<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by JuniorBeauchamp

reply to post by darkbake

So I'm just using simple math to decide on the probability of one of those religions being correct, and placing it as less than 1%.

How?

There can be 50 million competing religions, all claiming to be the one and only true one.

But only one can be, since there can be only one absolute truth in any matter.

That is why I asked the other fellow if 2+2=4 is true or not?

If it is true, then it is absolutely true.

Not 2+1=4, or 3+6=4 or any other combination.

Out of the possibl2 combinations, only ONE can be absolutely true.
edit on 22-1-2013 by JuniorBeauchamp because: (no reason given)

Well, think of it this way. Type this into Google: "the answer to life the universe and everything"
Okay so that is 42.

21 x 2 = 42
14 x 3 = 42
6 x 7 = 42

There is an example of three different ways to get to the same answer. And even this massively oversimplifies things.
edit on 22-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Which has nothing to do with the point of the absolute truth of something I was making.

Those 3 ways of arriving at 42 have nothing to do with the "answer to life in the universe". None.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JuniorBeauchamp

Well, how do you explain the existence of Catholicism, the Eastern Orthodox Church and Episcopalian ism?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

I prefer what is true over "viewpoints", which are nothing more than opinions.

I can assure
I knew them in
I know how these people
These are your words from a Post a page back... Seems you like to use VIEWPOINTS after all.
You really not as Smart as you think you are my friend.
Please Stop spouting Garbage as Fact.

I suggest you put your rocks down. People who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks.

Unfortunately, since we are all humans, we all have this flaw. It really sucks. It is pretty much the NUMBER ONE FLAW humans have.

Well, on boards like this, trolls throwing rocks instead of engaging in hopefully meaningful and respectful dialogue seem to come out in droves.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You have yet to tell me exactly HOW the "meat and potatoes of most religions are the same".

Or maybe, you are just here to throw rocks instead of engaging in actual dialogue.
Sure, Ill try.
Be hard for me as I think all religions are for weak minded people that need outside Influence to give them Direction.

"Meat and Potatoes" of them all,Is the Master Creator, a Higher Being, Unseen, Unheard , but is all knowing , (sounds silly I know)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well, how do you explain the existence of Catholicism, the Eastern Orthodox Church and Episcopalian ism?

Short answer.....SIN.

Now, if you want the historical development of those divisions, as well as others within the big umbrella of Christendom, that will take a long time, but I can explain it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Yeah, and it is hard for people in religious areas to break free and realize their individual potential, as well - so I think you are both in agreement about things, honestly.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Short answer.....SIN.

Now, if you want the historical development of those divisions, as well as others within the big umbrella of Christendom, that will take a long time, but I can explain it.

Well, you might as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You have yet to tell me exactly HOW the "meat and potatoes of most religions are the same".

Or maybe, you are just here to throw rocks instead of engaging in actual dialogue.
Sure, Ill try.
Be hard for me as I think all religions are for weak minded people that need outside Influence to give them Direction.

That's not any "explanation" at all. It is rocks being thrown by a bitter, angry, resentful, fatalistic human being.

"Meat and Potatoes" of them all,Is the Master Creator, a Higher Being, Unseen, Unheard , but is all knowing , (sounds silly I know)

Not all of them make those claims.

Didn't you know that?

Oh, sorry, I thought you thought you are an expect that knows everything perfectly.

I guess I was wrong about that.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Sure, Ill try.

That's not any "explanation" at all. It is rocks being thrown by a bitter, angry, resentful, fatalistic human being.

Didn't you know that?

Oh, sorry, I thought you thought you are an expect that knows everything perfectly.

That is true, there are some religions such as Taoism that explain a way of life that leads to a particular outcome. I prefer these as they are logically sound and the existence of a deity is irrelevant.

In my opinion, the function of a deity in a religion is to give a personification of the religion's values. Some people think that Christianity actually has origins in extra-terrestrial... mythology.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Short answer.....SIN.

Well, you might as well.

Here is a little longer explanation.

At the start of the Church, there were no divisions such as the one's you cited.

As time passes, particularly, when some men became more concerned with their own and their group's political power within the church, especially after the late 4th century when the Roman Emperpor Theodosius I, made Christianity the official state religion of the Roman Empire, which was a terrible mistake that had all kinds of negative consequences, there became a rivalry between the eastern churches and the western churches that led to the split between the Roman Catholics(west) and the Greek Orthodox(east).

Then, in the 16th century the King of England, Henry the VIII, led a split with the Roman church so he could marry Anne Bolin after divorcing his wife, creating the Church of England and it's American counterpart the Episcopal, ie-Anglican or Church of England, church. Those are just different names meaning the same thing.
edit on 22-1-2013 by JuniorBeauchamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Short answer.....SIN.

Well, you might as well.

At the start of the Church, there were no divisions such as the one's you cited.

As time passes, particularly, when some men became more concerned with their own and their group's political power within the church, especially after the late 4th century when the Roman Emperpor Theodosius I, made Christianity the official state religion of the Roman Empire, which was a terrible mistake that had all kinds of negative consequences, there became a rivalry between the eastern churches and the western churches that led to the split between the Roman Catholics(west) and the Greek Orthodox(east).

Then, in the 16th century the King of England, Henry the VIII, led a split with the Roman church so he could marry Anne Bolin after divorcing his wife.

All right. So the church can be used for political reasons as well as religious ones, but -

I will allow you to agree with this: There is a philosophical message in Christianity that has merit, but sometimes it can be clouded by human sin, like you mentioned?

And to be clear, I was interested in the history, but then I realized that thinking about it revealed how politics can get involved in religion.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Sure, Ill try.

Didn't you know that?

That is true, there are some religions such as Taoism that explain a way of life that leads to a particular outcome.

That is pragmatism. But does not answer the great existential questions of life.

I prefer these as they are logically sound and the existence of a deity is irrelevant

Sure, lots and lots of people do not want there to be a Supreme Creator Being that they are accountable to.

In my opinion, the function of a deity in a religion is to give a personification of the religion's values.

Christianity does not do that.

Some people think that Christianity actually has origins in extra-terrestrial... mythology.

Yeah, and some people think that the earth is hollow too.

So?

Do you have an actual point?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Short answer.....SIN.

Well, you might as well.

Then, in the 16th century the King of England, Henry the VIII, led a split with the Roman church so he could marry Anne Bolin after divorcing his wife.

All right. So the church can be used for political reasons as well as religious ones

As I told you earlier, there have been men who claimed to be Christian who misused the Church to control people for their own self serving and selfish purposes, but did so in contradition and in violation of the teachings of Christ and the Bible.That is why the first and short answer I gave for it is....SIN.

I will allow you to agree with this: There is a philosophical message in Christianity that has merit, but sometimes it can be clouded by human sin, like you mentioned?

Christianity is not about any "philosophy" or even a pragmatic way of life.

Christianity is about how horribly selfish, self serving, woefully imperfect are put in right standing with God.

And to be clear, I was interested in the history, but then I realized that thinking about it revealed how politics can get involved in religion.

Politics is about power and authority to rule over others.

Any time SIN is the central factor, anything can be perverted. And as I said earlier, if you read it. that was the case in the Dark Ages, I am sad to say, but was in contradiction to Christ and God.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Unfortunately, we will have to continue this at another time. It's my bedtime.

Or, if you have other questions, which may require a longer, more indepth answer, please feel free to send them by private message and I'll get to them.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I also am unable to pick a side. I did a political compass test online and it scored me about -3.25/-3.33 for liberal/libertarian on a scale of +10 -10. However, I've voted for republicans and democrats and independents. But the larger issue is anytime I contemplate picking a side I always find something about them I don't like. I'm the kind of person that's never content with whoever is in power. I'll switch sides from one election to another. I see the political parties as tools.

Nobody is perfect. We're all flawed. This is why I see wisdom in moderation. The error is made when you start to believe that you're better. That you're not flawed. That you're correct. This is when you choose a side. So rather than moderating between the two, you become partisan.

When it comes to personal tastes I'm unshakeable. An extremist. But things like governments scare me. The thought that I would be unshakeable doesn't sit well with me intellectually. I know I'm a flawed person. I stick to myself. I moderate because I know that I am not wise enough to rely on my own knowledge. I'm a runt, you know. If it weren't for necessity, I'd block everyone out like a child. Sometimes I wonder if the tables were turned and I was rich and my confidence was high would I feel the opposite? Instead of hesitating, would I be partisan? Maybe low confidence plays a role.
edit on 22-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Sure, Ill try.

Didn't you know that?

That is true, there are some religions such as Taoism that explain a way of life that leads to a particular outcome.

That is pragmatism. But does not answer the great existential questions of life.

I prefer these as they are logically sound and the existence of a deity is irrelevant

Sure, lots and lots of people do not want there to be a Supreme Creator Being that they are accountable to.

In my opinion, the function of a deity in a religion is to give a personification of the religion's values.

Christianity does not do that.

Some people think that Christianity actually has origins in extra-terrestrial... mythology.

Yeah, and some people think that the earth is hollow too.

So?

Do you have an actual point?

Uh, yes. My point was that either the deities involved could refer to extra-terrestrial war generals, or I was also going to point out that there is the possibility that when Christianity is referring to the Holy Spirit, it is referring to the universal consciousness.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
I also am unable to pick a side. I did a political compass test online and it scored me about -3.25/-3.33 for liberal/libertarian on a scale of +10 -10. However, I've voted for republicans and democrats and independents. But the larger issue is anytime I contemplate picking a side I always find something about them I don't like. I'm the kind of person that's never content with whoever is in power. I'll switch sides from one election to another. I see the political parties as tools.

Nobody is perfect. We're all flawed. This is why I see wisdom in moderation. The error is made when you start to believe that you're better. That you're not flawed. That you're correct. This is when you choose a side. So rather than moderating between the two, you become partisan.

When it comes to personal tastes I'm unshakeable. An extremist. But things like governments scare me. The thought that I would be unshakeable doesn't sit well with me intellectually.

You have a strong head on your shoulders. These are some of the wisest words I've read. No one is perfect, and moderation is a very good way to live life. In addition, believing that you are correct is the choice that makes you unable to find the correct solution because you are blinded by a belief and not looking at reality.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Unfortunately, we will have to continue this at another time. It's my bedtime.

Or, if you have other questions, which may require a longer, more indepth answer, please feel free to send them by private message and I'll get to them.

That sounds good, I want to hear more about your perspective on Christianity.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

But let me insist that if it were not for partisans then how would I moderate?

Don't moderates NEED liberals and conservatives (and others) to find a center?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

That is a very good question. We need partisans in order to create different perspectives on life, otherwise there would be nothing.

However, what we really need are more people who are not tainted by either side so that they can see the issues clearly.

We need both - it is actually Yin and Yang. But we need a lot more Yin. I wrote a thread on how we need arbiters in our political system, and I really think we do.

We should have some kind of training program in order to prepare arbiters for being both unbiased and aware of reality instead of ideologies, so that they can go into the Senate and help moderate.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join