It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beekeepers Expect "Worst Year For Bees, We’re Facing The Extinction Of A Species.”

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Great thread!

I live in the City of London and I can say 100% with my hand on my heart that there are no bees around these parts anymore.I do see the odd Wasp but they too are dying out....

As i've said many times on numerous threads.... too much is on the Economy and Money.... its all these Corporations think about....

As for Buildings.... well, we have way too many of these.... I really would love to knock a few down.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

So sorry for the delay. Thanks so much for the link to New Yorker article on the bee pesticide evidence. I think without a doubt the conclusion can be drawn that pesticides are at the heart of the problem. I am so happy and angry to hear that. All this time we been led to believe by multiple documentaries that its maybe this or that.

The PBS one sealed the mystery in my mind. Now I know... The nested links begin with the one you provided at the top (the one to read is at the bottom).

www.newyorker.com...

www.sciencemag.org...

Drugged bees go missing...

Neonicotinoids are neurotoxic pesticides that can paralyse and kill insect herbivores by acting as neurotransmitter receptor agonists and are used to protect more than 100 crop species worldwide. Because they spread to all parts of the plant, including pollen and nectar, bees are exposed to low pesticide doses while foraging. Until now, the effects of such sublethal exposure on bees have been unclear.

The "worldwide" part explains why this is affecting bees the world over. The bees were fed the pesticide in corn syrup and a study was also conducted on bumble bees with the same result.

Essentially, the pesticide-exposed bees got lost on their way home.

That explains the mystery of where the bees went. The exposed colonies also produced fewer queens and were smaller. Even though the dose per plant visited might be small, it builds over the lifetime of the bee and disrupts their ability to find their way back.

Hats off to the people that ran these studies. Now if we can only convince the brainless corporations responsible that make and market this product that their product designed to increase production will kill us all if they don't frigging stop...

Edit to add: I see you guys are on top of this and my info is pages old. Good job on here burntheships. Thanks for starting this thread.

edit on 23-1-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Iwinder,

That is really wonderful to learn that they are trying to be good stewards!
I just love what you posted, thanks!

Thats a breath of fresh air...hopefully as the situation becomes more dire,
those who can will try and follow this kind of a model.

That must be some good honey, I think the stick part is
good, tells ya its real.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I am working today too, so off and on.

Thats some good information there, I do remember from the bee
documentary about them getting lost...

I do think this explains it, and I guess the beekeepers think so also,
I see that they have petitioned to end Neonics and GMO in the E.U...
dont know that Parliment will listen, however at least they have hope
for now. The ones who did that in the U.S. were told to "buzz off".

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
what if the bee's dying off because they are at a point, where they have mutated to a insect that has bad genetic traits.

In species of birds there are mutation,s some of these mutations survive, others get targeted by their own and killed.

Take budgies in the wild in Australia they are meant to be all green.

Some are born different colors, Albino(pure white + red eyes), Latino(Yellow) plus 48 other mutations can occur.
These budgies with the mutations make it easy for a hawk or predator to single out in a flock. Some other budgies kill these budgies with the mutation because they pose a threat to the flock.

I would imagine Bee's would have to have different genetic traits, maybe these bee's are dying because they are natures mistake and its being corrected.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Congratulations... your thread is gonna be "On The Air!"

Job well done...

I salute you...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
In a word. GMO/ And for their poison crops they want you to buy their little envelopes of GMO bees they've made.

Thanks for your comments Unity,

I have tried without success to find much on the GMO bees,
looks like Monsanto is working on some kind of transgenic Micro RNA
"potion" "posions" to use on the bees...if you find anything else, do keep us posted.

Here is what I found, which is not much.

Monsanto Genetically Engineering Bees

Beeologics’ mission is to become the guardian of bee health worldwide. Through continuous research, scientific innovation, and a focus on applicable solutions, Beeologics is developing a line of RNAi-based products to specifically address the long-term well being of the bees. “

....... RNAi-based products are a mechanism meant to block gene expression. RNAi-based products are genetically engineered products that Monsanto is now planning to use on the honey bees! The same bees who’s health, (many beekeepers believe) has already been compromised by Monsanto’s genetically engineered plants that produce pesticides. Their answer to this problem should be to stop making GM food, but instead it is to make more genetically engineered products that they will unleash on our planet without research to show any of them are safe.
www.pakalertpress.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Hey there Johnny!

Well, I am really glad to hear that, I hope everyone who listens can share it
around, and rally support for these bees that need help, and the beekeepers that
are trying to keep a critical species alive!

Hopefully everyone will stop using pesticides, and boycott GMO's
as much as possible!

Thanks very much!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I dropped an email to the Windemere Manor asking if their Bee keeper would like to join the discussion here.
No Guarantees on any reply or participation but seeing this subject is right up his alley I hope we hear from him.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2013 by Iwinder because: screwed up a quote

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Well, thanks! I sure hope he does.
I have a lot of respect for someone like that, he is doing it right,
and he could be an inspiration to other beekeepers too.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by Iwinder

Iwinder,

That is really wonderful to learn that they are trying to be good stewards!
I just love what you posted, thanks!

Thats a breath of fresh air...hopefully as the situation becomes more dire,
those who can will try and follow this kind of a model.

That must be some good honey, I think the stick part is
good, tells ya its real.

Ohhh yeah it was good but let me warn others here, do not put it on fried chicken heavily and try to eat that while reading the paper.

This Honey is 30 times more tasty than store bought, but it is very very sticky.
It is worth the trouble though and we will buy only the real stuff from now on if possible.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
In the late 80's the idea of GMO food was put to the public, they rejected it, and a few years later the homey bees go missing, Now we are getting more and more dependent on GMO crops which have been proven to have toxic genes.

Nothing is by accident, it is sick what they do.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Feel bad for the bees but what can we really fo about it? I'd like to help them but I think it's pretty much a lost cause. I know I used to get sung by them running out in the yard barefoot as a child...x:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by XsweetNspiceyX

Feel bad for the bees but what can we really fo about it? I'd like to help them but I think it's pretty much a lost cause. I know I used to get sung by them running out in the yard barefoot as a child...x:

I've been thinking about this for the last hour and I have no solution apart from taking up beekeeping!!

i was also wondering if this has been planned for a while now.... you know pretty soon all manufacturing work will be done by computers and robots..... they don't need to EAT!!

What if the higher uppers do actually want to get rid of 90% of us?? Best way to go about it would be to kill off the food chain!!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What if the higher uppers do actually want to get rid of 90% of us?? Best way to go about it would be to kill off the food chain!!

That is one answer to how can they be so stupid to kill off the bees the same time they are trying to control the pests? Unless they intend to do that? It is surely scary to even consider...

The upper one percent don't actually need everyone on the planet to take care of them, just some reduced servile population of people to take care of their needs.

Then they could live out their privileged lives with all the gold and the whole planet to themselves. Of special interest is the notion that continuance along our present course could mean the destruction of the environment and resources that are left, unless some drastic measures are undertaken.

Without outright destruction by say Nuclear War, the alternative could just be slow death by disease and starvation. One could make the case for their plan proceeding accordingly.

The really scary idea that comes to my mind is that they would consider this the only option out of necessity... for the good of mankind.

Who knows, maybe it is...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
You make important points, I was wondering if they would come in to the rescue if the bee's completely died off. It would be a better bet to hand pollinate than to rely upon what little may stick to them and be dropped onto other plants...

Bees are not the only pollinators (though they are the most efficient ones.) Butterflies, flies, mosquitoes (yes, mosquitoes), moths, humming birds. are a few of the many others.

Something that most folks may not be aware of: the bees that pollinate our crops are NOT native bees. They're an imported species from Europe.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I've been thinking about this for the last hour and I have no solution apart from taking up beekeeping!!

It's difficult and expensive, and most neighborhoods do NOT want beehives where people can get stung.

A much better solution is to plant native flowers and pick up trash (keeping a clean environment), provide a small habitat (water, plants) for them to visit. A good environment helps sustain them if they run into insecticides and other pollutants (oil, tire dust, air pollution.)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
wow , you learn something new everyday

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join