It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Bush: Poll watchers can, should challenge voters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

His remarks come amid concerns that excessive scrutiny may put a damper on the election.

By JONI JAMES and TAMARA LUSH
Published October 28, 2004

TALLAHASSEE - Gov. Jeb Bush said Wednesday he would have no problem if Republican poll watchers challenge the eligibility of voters before they cast ballots on Election Day, despite growing concern that it could create gridlock and scare away qualified voters.

"I don't think it will cause problems," Bush said. "I do think that people who are not eligible to vote shouldn't and the people who are should."

The Florida Republican Party has not decided whether to instruct poll watchers to challenge voters Tuesday, spokeswoman Mindy Fletcher said.

But Democrats say a GOP list of 2,663 newly registered voters in Duval County who appear to have incorrect addresses indicates Republicans are planning such a strategy.

"It's despicable," Florida Democratic Party chairman Scott Maddox said. "Their goal is to harass people enough that they'll give up their right to vote or not go to the polls."

Fletcher said the Duval list will not be used to challenge voters but to revise the Republicans' mailing list.

Republicans and Democrats have signed up thousands of poll watchers who will be inside precincts to monitor voters. A rarely used provision of state law allows poll watchers to challenge an individual's qualifications to vote by writing a sworn affidavit. The challenge is resolved on the spot by election workers, or by having the voter cast a provisional ballot.
St. Petersburg Times

I'm living in Florida now. The rumor was that people are going to make it so difficult to vote, the lines so long, that people will get frustrated and leave.

Well, it's true, and Jeb Bush endorses it. I just hope when people end-up waiting two, three, or even four hours in line because Jeb's lackeys challenge
every voter and try to slow the process, Floridians don't get frustrated and go home.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good for Jeb.

Only legally registered voters should vote.

and only once.

sorry if this puts a crimp in the democrat fraud, but the law is the law.

join