It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOTH John Boehner to hold a press conference @5:00 PM ET

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
Mods please DELETE this thread. I was misinformed. Thanks

Hang on there.

www.speaker.gov...

link   

Originally posted by danneu89
So what I've learned from politics is that as long as you keep raising the ceiling, you never have to pay it back and everybody gets free money. That sounds pretty damn good. Keep raising it!!!

The debt ceiling is an American phenomenon - I don't know of any other country that has this.

Increasing the debt ceiling doesn't mean adding spending, it means that the debts incurred by previously passed bills can be paid, that's all

link   

Originally posted by proob4
Mods please DELETE this thread. I was misinformed. Thanks

Wait hold on..

Live link

Says starting shortly.. ABC news seemed like a bait and switch.

The above link should work.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Thanks, I felt dooped on my intel.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by danneu89
So what I've learned from politics is that as long as you keep raising the ceiling, you never have to pay it back and everybody gets free money. That sounds pretty damn good. Keep raising it!!!

Yeah.... The Weimar Republic and Zimbabwe thought that too. It destroyed them both economically.

We're not special, just bigger.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Link isn't working for me, I'm relying on those that can access it to provide a transcript

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's 530 ET and speaker.gov says Starting Shortly...GOP Leader's Press Conference

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Again Press conference should be starting soon. Here is the new link.

LINK

------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit on 1/22/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
What I find discerning and odd is the backdrop in my link above. " NO BUDGET NO PAY" Like they had this planned for a while, How long does it take to get a banner made up like that? Sounds theatening!

edit on 1/22/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

No Labels

Congress has only passed a budget and all spending bills necessary to fund the government four times in the past 60 years.

No Labels has a straightforward solution – if members of Congress can’t pass a budget, they shouldn’t get paid – and tomorrow, the United States House of Representatives will vote on it.

edit on 1/22/2013 by fltcui because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
You can't "lower the debt ceiling by $1T a year until it is $0.00. That would mean we had zero debt, which is a practical impossibility for any first world country...Unless you REALLY want to pay high taxes, that is.

That's one way.

The other option is a REALLY small federal government, getting back to the enumerated responsibilities.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
"One final mic check" Must be pretty soon now.

Odd banner for sure...

They just said 2 minutes

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Must not be that big of a deal, everyone there is yawning and tired.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
You can't "lower the debt ceiling by $1T a year until it is $0.00. That would mean we had zero debt, which is a practical impossibility for any first world country...Unless you REALLY want to pay high taxes, that is.

That's one way.

The other option is a REALLY small federal government, getting back to the enumerated responsibilities.

Not at this point.. Our taxes don't even cover the interest on the debt we already owe... We already went over the line.. This doesn't count SS, and the military or any other spending.. Republicans want to not raise the ceiling so they want to crash it now. Dems want to raise the ceiling so they want to slowly/quickly debase the currency..

Either way, unless we "Find" a bunch of precious goods, and import nothing we are screwed.

But I agree we need to make this government as small as possible and leave the Laws to the states.

EDIT: Started!
edit on 1/22/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Press sounds nervous and I heard them say "exclusve" a few times. I wonder if this is gonna be BiG news or just rhetoric? Time will tell.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

I really despise Obama's argument about why it needs to be raised...that is, that he says the money has already been spent. But he wasn't authorized to spend anything above the debt ceiling.

Yes...that is because Congress spent the money, not the President. Congress holds the purse-strings. The GOP is arguing about wether they should pay the interest on debt they incurred via bailouts and unfunded wars.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
no budget no pay, whats that mean?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
He just said that the Senate needs to "pay" them a budget...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

The press int eh room were proud to have the exclusive and not the hoards of news hounds that could have been at this meeting/conference.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Was that it? Just stating that they will pass the no budget no pay in congress tomorrow?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join