It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Lubrizon plant struggles to stop foul odor leak (Hydrogen Sulfide?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

A Rouen resident told Reuters news agency the stench pervaded his home; "You can't ventilate. There is nothing to do, it's constantly in the room and it's unbearable."

Another resident told AFP news agency: "This is horrible. I thought I was in a gas cylinder."

Another said the air smelled of "rotten eggs".

There is no word on the cause of the leak. The factory has been closed.

In Britain, the Health Protection Agency said: "The smell drifting over Southern England today poses no risk to public health. "The odour, which is similar to rotten eggs, has been noticed by people mainly in Kent, East and West Sussex and some parts of Surrey."

Emergency officials in southern Kent advised residents "to keep doors and windows closed due to a gas cloud".

Source

Rotten egg smell, which is normally Hydrogen Sulfide, is drifting across both northern France and southern England. Both Paris and London are affected. Thousands of people smelling it.

Thousands of people, from as far away as Paris and London, have complained of nausea and headaches.

But, there's nothing to worry about folks, according to officials. It's only mercaptan, a harmless additive to natural gas. Okay, and it has a rotten egg smell. How come they haven't tested for hydrogen sulfide? How come they are telling residents to keep doors and windows closed if its harmless? I have a thread about the rapid increase of two dangerous gases that are pluming all around the globe that are causing other phenomenons, but its the dangerous gas hydrogen sulfide that poses many hazards right now;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are many unexplained explosions, booms, animal die-offs, mysterious deaths, vehicle fires and more that are occurring world-wide and are increasing in frequency and intensity. I've been keeping a log of them on the thread above and you can also find an extensive listing of daily events related to hydrogen sulfide leaks at this website, which was the highlight of the thread that I wrote about the gases;

Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis

The gas is mercaptan, an additive to natural gas said to be harmless. It leaked on Monday from a plant run by a French subsidiary of the US chemicals manufacturer Lubrizol near Rouen, 75 miles (120km) north-west of Paris. Winds blew the cloud over northern France on Monday night and then into England on Tuesday. Tuesday evening's French Cup football match between Rouen and Marseille has been postponed because of the stink.

How many of these events will occur before people start taking notice? There are many of these hydrogen sulfide plumes occurring but there being swept under the rug just like a few months back when there was a large plume smelled all over southern California...from the Salton Sea?

There's a lot of information in the Dangerous Gas thread about these leaks, where they are occurring and their connection to so many other events.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Just been reading about this in our local newspaper and thought I'd head off to ATS to see if there was anything on here yet and I found it quite quickly.

My initial thoughts where maybe our government was conducting some of those tests they don't do on the public and wanted to plant the seed of blame to france. Looks like I'm probably wrong, and there might be more to it than just a whif floating from france.

Look forward to more theories and reading yours OP in detail.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I hope it's mercaptan, but I certainly have my doubts, what with the hydrogen sulfide event in Kuwait and in Southern California and in Louisiana at that sinkhole, all in recent times. If it's hydrogen sulfide they're smelling in France and Britain then we're all probably gonna be dead pretty soon, at least those who don't have a backup atmosphere. And three whales washed ashore dead or dying in the last coupla days too, all different species, one on the West Coast, one on the East Coast, and one in Florida. We might be just about at the end of the line for human civilization, at least on the surface of the Earth.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I found this article and have a question in regards to the statement that at low levels you can lose your sense of smell after smelling rotten eggs. If that was the case then the people in France would greatly appreciate that benefit but that's not what they are reporting...

In smaller concentrations over a longer period of time it may also be fatal. H2S smells like rotten eggs, you will lose all sense of smell very quickly therefore it is important to get to a clean air area immediately after smelling rotten eggs. If any members of the crew have come in contact with H2S then they need to decontaminate if exposed to 50 PPM or more by removing contaminated clothing and wash any concentrations off their skin. H2S casualty or patient must be on oxygen as soon as they are in a clean air area then seek medical care.

See Source for more good stuff...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I found more good stuff here...Source

Health effects of H2S exposure
Hydrogen sulfide is both an irritant and a
chemical asphyxiant with effects on both
oxygen utilization and the central nervous
system. Its health effects can vary depending
on the level and duration of exposure.
Repeated exposure can result in health effects
occurring at levels that were previously tolerated
without any effect.
Low concentrations irritate the eyes, nose,
throat and respiratory system (e.g., burning/
tearing of eyes, cough, shortness of breath).
Asthmatics may experience breathing difficulties.
The effects can be delayed for several
hours, or sometimes several days, when
working in low-level concentrations. Repeated
or prolonged exposures may cause eye
inflammation, headache, fatigue, irritability,
insomnia, digestive disturbances and weight
loss.
Moderate concentrations can cause more
severe eye and respiratory irritation (including
coughing, difficulty breathing, accumulation
of fluid in the lungs), headache, dizziness,
nausea, vomiting, staggering and excitability.

We need to make ourselves informed and aware of how to protect ourselves from being gased!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hello,

Im regularly exposed to H2S on a daily basis, in high concentrations its lethal, but if your smelling it in England from a leak in France it's really is nothing too worry about, it will be in the parts per billion. If your concerned go down to your local Arco or anywhere else, like Screwfix and buy a half face filter mask. Pretty cheap, and highly effective.

As for Mercaptans, you are able to detect this smell in parts per billion, if you smell it, it doesnt mean it is having any affect on your health. kinda smells like rotten cabbage, it stinks, high concentrations though, it is deadly, it creates a highly volatile explosive atmosphere, very dangerous and it will also kill you if inhaled in high concentrations.

Do not understand why they are telling people it is harmless.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The most recent news story 1 hour ago

French 'rotten egg' smell invades England

PARIS — The stench of rotten eggs wafted across Paris and northern France on Tuesday, even reaching across the sea to England, after a gas leak that authorities said was very smelly but entirely harmless. Headaches, sore throats and nausea were nevertheless among the complaints listed in calls made overnight to emergency lines in Paris by more than 10,000 people worried by the stink that had invaded their streets and homes.

THE LEAK HAS REACHED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE

The leak began early Monday at a plant run by Lubrizol, a firm that is part of billionaire US investor Warren Buffett's empire, and within a day its odour had reached millions of people across northern France.

All reports are saying that the leak came from Lubrizol plant and but yet the French Ecology Minister made this comment;

She told AFP there would be an investigation to "determine the origin and establish whether the company was responsible".

Doesn't this statement say she isn't sure whether the Lubrizol plant is responsible.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Your quote did state...There is no word on the cause of the leak. The factory has been closed.

Originally posted by Rezlooper

A Rouen resident told Reuters news agency the stench pervaded his home; "You can't ventilate. There is nothing to do, it's constantly in the room and it's unbearable."

Another resident told AFP news agency: "This is horrible. I thought I was in a gas cylinder."

Another said the air smelled of "rotten eggs".

There is no word on the cause of the leak. The factory has been closed.

In Britain, the Health Protection Agency said: "The smell drifting over Southern England today poses no risk to public health. "The odour, which is similar to rotten eggs, has been noticed by people mainly in Kent, East and West Sussex and some parts of Surrey."

Emergency officials in southern Kent advised residents "to keep doors and windows closed due to a gas cloud".

In otherwords...they have no idea what caused the leak and if there is they closed the factory and have no clue about anything...Who knows if it's really from the leak? You will need to find someone that works at the factory to spill the beans...Good luck trusting Journalist to give you the truth.
edit on 22-1-2013 by relocator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I'm with you , mercaptan always smelled different to me than hydrogen sulfide . You say rotten cabbage , maybe , but I always thought I could smell rotten garlic too . I don't know why I should get very suspicious though , with a cloud that huge somebody ought to be able figure out what's making it .

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

This last story comes out and says the leak was from the plant multiple times

The Lubrizol plant, which makes additives for industrial lubricants and paint, shut down production as workers battled to plug the leak.

The leak began early Monday at a plant run by Lubrizol, a firm that is part of billionaire US investor Warren Buffett's empire, and within a day its odour had reached millions of people across northern France.

Authorities said in an earlier statement that a chemical substance at the Lubrizol plant became unstable and caused odours that are similar to those of town gas.

Source

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Here's the recommendations for filters versus hydrogen sulfide, via the CDC:

NIOSH

Up to 100 ppm:
(APF = 25) Any powered, air-purifying respirator with cartridge(s) providing protection against the compound of concern
(APF = 50) Any air-purifying, full-facepiece respirator (gas mask) with a chin-style, front- or back-mounted canister providing protection against the compound of concern
(APF = 10) Any supplied-air respirator*
(APF = 50) Any self-contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece

Emergency or planned entry into unknown concentrations or IDLH conditions:
(APF = 10,000) Any self-contained breathing apparatus that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode
(APF = 10,000) Any supplied-air respirator that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self-contained positive-pressure breathing apparatus

Escape:
(APF = 50) Any air-purifying, full-facepiece respirator (gas mask) with a chin-style, front- or back-mounted canister providing protection against the compound of concern
Any appropriate escape-type, self-contained breathing apparatus

CDC Pocket Guide To Hydrogen Sulfide

As you can see, cheapo masks don't work. If you don't know the concentration you're dealing with then you need self-contained HazMat suit with positive air pressure at all times. Actually, that seems to be recommended in most situations, even in ostensibly short-term 'escape' situations. Small molecules, so 'standard' gas masks won't keep you alive. But yes, if that's what it is, then the fact that they're smelling it means it isn't at dangerous levels. If the smell fades and they start losing consciousness, coughing up blood or going blind or they start smelling something 'flowery' or 'sickly sweet' then they'd best get into their HazMat suits, or at least be prepared to go insane from neurological damage, or die. Of course, if it knocks them out then they might fall to the ground, where the concentration would be apt to be higher, and it'd be too late to act then, even if they have a HazMat suit handy. (At medium-high concentrations at least some people say it smells flowery or sweet; I've smelled that myself, recently, when a septic worker had the cover off a sewer and was pumping porta-potty crap into the sewer, and I ran before I got a second breath.)

I hope they have some 'mass fatality legislation' in the works there too.
edit on 22-1-2013 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Hopefully these reports are better then what we get from Japan....and the effects of the melting nuclear power plant...

If reporting the truth caused people to get out of control...They're only going to tell you what will keep you calm...whether it's the truth or not. I don't trust the media.

Can we get any confirmation from other sources like actually workers from the plant.

This statement could come back to haunt them...

“Bearing in mind the lack of danger, residents of the areas concerned are asked not to call emergency services,” the Interior Ministry said.

So they don't know the cause...and it is still leaking???

Pierre-Jean Payrouse, the director of internal operations for the factory, said he hoped the leak would be stopped by Tuesday evening.

Source

Oh and by the way...don't call emergency services....WTF!!!
They don't even tell people how to protect themselves.....Hopefully the posts on this thread will reach them...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks OP for posting this, although I knew of the foul odor problem, I didn't realise it could be causing the symptoms we have been having and are still having.
Me and my family live in West Kent and my youngest has been complaining of rotten eggs for a few days. She thought it came with the snow.

I used to be an asthmatic and I knew when my lungs were getting fluid buildup and they have a buildup right now. And my eyes do feel teary and gritty.
My eldest has had a low headache for 4 days and fells foggy headed. So much she can't do her degree homework. And my hubby has had a reoccurrance of a cough.
We are probably more senstive as we are still recovering from being poisoned by Aspergillus fungus. And because of this, fatigue is a constant symptom.

I need someone to know that I have also been smelling a strong chlorine smell in our tap water, we are on the Thames ringmain water, so either they have been adding far too much in the last week or
Houston we have a problem!!!

I am very senstive to chlorine, even taking a shower is becoming a problem. I have to let the water sit for a while and have to have a bath instead.

OP What do you think is happening-a volcano we don't know about, or all those volcanoes that went up last week (over 10 more) are having a bad effect on our atmosphere?

And does anyone know what we can do to protect ourselves?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
Thanks OP for posting this, although I knew of the foul odor problem, I didn't realise it could be causing the symptoms we have been having and are still having.
Me and my family live in West Kent and my youngest has been complaining of rotten eggs for a few days.

I used to be an asthmatic and I knew when my lungs were getting fluid buildup and they have a buildup right now. And my eyes do feel teary and gritty.
My eldest has had a low headache for 4 days and fells foggy headed. So much she can't do her degree homework. And my hubby has had a reoccurrance of a cough.

OP What do you think is happening-a volcano we don't know about, or all those volcanoes that went up last week (over 10 more) are having a bad effect on our atmosphere?

Your symptoms do fit with Hydrogen Sulfide and the rotten egg smell is also an indicator. The fact that you can still smell it is a good sign that it's not a lethal dose, but yet very concerning when you have respiratory issues, headaches and nausea.

Its surprising that hydrogen sulfide hasn't been mentioned at all, or tested for. It seems they are telling the masses something to keep them from panic or getting very upset. "Don't worry, it's harmless, but keep your doors and windows closed" and yet thousands have complained about headaches and nausea.

It is a chemical asphyxiant like carbon monoxide. Depending on the concentration of the gas, people might exhibit varying symptoms. As Hydrogen sulfide affects the absorption of oxygen, it restricts cellular respiration which can lead to bronchitis and edema in long term exposures. At 0-10ppm : Irritation of throat, eyes and nose leading to watery eyes and nose. At 10-50ppm: causes headaches, dizziness and nausea. At 50-220ppm: Respiratory tract can get irritated, convulsions, can be fatal in severe cases. The rate of dispersion is dependent on the air currents carrying the gas. The gas usually decomposes in air completely by 3 or 4 days. When inhaled, the gas can form stable compounds with the blood. Eventually it can reduce the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and hence cause respiratory problems. People working in refineries and tanneries are overtly exposed to this gas. And they always run the danger of suffering from respiratory diseases caused due to Hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide was found toxic to birds, animals and aquatic life.

Source

Here's a little more;

In its acute form, hydrogen sulfide intoxication is mainly the result of action on the nervous system. At concentrations of 15 mg/m and above, hydrogen sulfide causes conjunctival irritation, because sulfide and hydrogen sulfide anions are strong bases. Hydrogen sulfide affects the sensory nerves in the conjunctivae, so that pain is diminished rapidly and the tissue damage is greater. Serious eye damage is caused by a concentration of 70 mg/m. At higher concentrations (above 225 mg/m, or 150 ppm), hydrogen sulfide has a paralysing effect on the olfactory perception, so that the odour can no longer be recognized as a warning signal. At higher concentrations, respiratory irritation is the predominant symptom, and at a concentration of around 400 mg/m there is a risk of pulmonary oedema. At even higher concentrations there is strong stimulation of the central nervous system (CNS), with hyperpnoea leading to apnoea, convulsions, unconsciousness, and death. At concentrations of over 1400 mg/m there is immediate collapse. In fatal human intoxication cases, brain oedema, degeneration and necrosis of the cerebral cortex and the basal ganglia have been observed

Source

I do believe that an increase in earthquakes and volcanoes is part of a chain reaction causing more gas leaks. Volcanoes are a major cause of an increase in methane gas releases. The rapid increase of methane gas is helping to heat up the atmosphere as long-wave infrared comes in from the sun, heats up objects on earth and would normally safely escape the atmosphere as short-wave infrared, is being trapped due to the build up of methane. A dangerous cycle. The heating of the atmosphere is in turn melting more Arctic permafrost (which also releases more methane) which then causes earthquakes by the theory proposed here;

The argument goes like this: when the climate changed naturally in the past, and the planet emerged from an ice age, large ice sheets covering much of the planet retreated. They were so heavy that the resulting release of pressure on the earth's crust caused it to 'bounce back', triggering earthquakes, tremors, and even volcanic activity along pre-existing fault lines.

This could explain all the mysterious booms, shakes, rattles and rolls and increased quakes.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here is an update on the leak. They are attempting to stop the leak now and say it could take a couple more days.

According to French radio RTL the owners of the Lubrizol factory will be investigated on suspicion of"endangering the lives of others". On top of the police investigation France’s Ecology Minister Delphine Batho, who has suggested negligence" was the cause of the leak, also announced an official inquiry had been opened to determine the cause of the gas leak and who was responsible. An operation was also underway on Wednesday to neutralize gas leaking from the plant. The process to deal with the leaking Mercaptan gas began at 5am local time and is expected to last a number of nights.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Also, the French are getting upset because the British are picking on them

On Tuesday the stench of rotten eggs wafted across Paris and northern France, even reaching across the sea to England. The French press noted how their British counterparts seized the opportunity to engage in their favourite past-time of French bashing. Headlines such as 'Le Pong', 'Poo la la' and 'French stench invades England' could be read online by Tuesday afternoon. "The gas leak has once again given the British press an opportunity to wind up the French," lamented France's La Tribune newspaper.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
Also, the French are getting upset because the British are picking on them

On Tuesday the stench of rotten eggs wafted across Paris and northern France, even reaching across the sea to England. The French press noted how their British counterparts seized the opportunity to engage in their favourite past-time of French bashing. Headlines such as 'Le Pong', 'Poo la la' and 'French stench invades England' could be read online by Tuesday afternoon. "The gas leak has once again given the British press an opportunity to wind up the French," lamented France's La Tribune newspaper.

Source

It's only "La Tribune" who are lamenting on how they think that the British press are treating them.

Most other French magazines or newspapers don't really care about those kinds of remarks anymore, they know and finally understand that its just Brit humour

Although i do feel that the British gutter press actually contribute enormously to untolerance towards the French or even other countries depending on the issue in hand.

I think that the average French person in general is quite upset at the thought of pollution caused on their territory contaminating "so to speak" their neighbours.

Kindest regards

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I really like the French especially their food and I have been several times to France, SO that proves I am not a Francophobe.

But I want to remind the French of their suspicions that our cycle team cheated in the Tour de France and the Olympics due to the (this was a British joke BTW lol) more rounder wheels. HAha.

So they can't complain can they.

And have you seen the comments on the Horse burgers in Tesco. My hubby was saying them all day the other day. The British take the mick out of everyone including themselves.

UPDATE we don't seem to be suffering as bad today so hurray.

new topics

top topics

join