It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should only taxpayers be allowed to vote?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
This argument reminds me of the debate where people called on Citizens with a certain IQ not to be allowed to vote. You either want a democracy or you don't, if you want a democracy, then every adult citizen must have the right to vote (aside from prisoners) and if you don't have this then it is not a democracy.

The question for me is who should be labeled a citizen and who is a ward?

If you don't contribute you are a ward - IMO. A citizen contributes a ward does not.

You are saying that everyone in America regardless of IQ and knowledge should have the right to vote?
This guy can vote listen to his reasons. He says he likes that Barrack is black…he comments that being black is good. Does that imply being white is not? I don’t think he has the ability to make decisions that affect the nation – having a person with downs syndrome vote is the equivalent of letting pre-teens vote.

He is probably a good kid but his reasoning ability is that of a pre-teen at best. Even a high functioning person with downs needs supervision and cannot be trusted to manage their funds because they lack impulse control. It’s a symptom of the disorder in the DSVM.

I think that it is the majority of voters fall somewhere in between Dan (the boy in the video) and those who have some basic reasoning ability - that is what got us in the mess we are in. This kid is motivated by emotion like so many are - he is simply parroting the meme he' heard in the media, nothing more.

There is also a thought that a Democracy will only last until the people learn that they can vote themselves money from the treasury. Again, prophecy coming true.

edit on 22/1/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/1/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Odd to see someone try to compare one of those old philosopher guys to democracy when a college philosophy class taught me that those men thought that democracy was pretty much the worst kind of government anyway...

Short answer: NO!

Why the hell would someone support slavery? Which is exactly what one would be doing by saying " yeah... sure, you might work but I don't think it's good enough. You aren't making enough money so you shouldn't have a say on how things that will directly effect you as much as any other person in the country might be done."

That's just ridiculous...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

At least need to be a citizen of this country.. Which is why we need voter ID laws enacted.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Short answer, No!

Did you know governments do more than just spend money? They make regulations and dictate rights. Should a man not have a say if his government decides to create a conscript army because he is poor?

Everyone adult who is a citizen of the nation should have say in its governance. No other factor should contribute to restricting representation for any natural born or naturalized citizen.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Are we talking in the USA or worldwide?
It shouldnt matter either way, I draw VA disability and dont pay taxes, so I shouldnt be allowed to vote?

You took the words right out of my head!!!! I work for the US govt tax free of course, and am partially employed by the state govt tax free as well, and the last 20+ yrs I payed taxes from my paycheck. So I should lose my right to vote as well? Dumb theory = dumb.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

No and your understanding of the "The Republic" is so flawed it makes me sick. First answer me this, do you, as a citizen of the United States of America, have a "right" to vote? We will go from there based on your answer....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I earn under the amount needed in the UK to pay tax at the moment but still do a valid job looking after the old, I only work 30 per week due to evil bosses, so should I not be able to vote?
What about people in the same boat as me or are in a worse position? voting is the only way we can get our voice heard, so No everyone over the age of 18 should be able to vote.

Why should tax takers have the right to tell those whose pocket they take from how much they need to keep in their pocket and lose?

Regards
.DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Everybody is a tax payer in one way or another because you have tax on goods that you buy in the shops. But if you are talking solely about income based taxes then I would say that the answer would be no. Not everybody can work and not everybody who can work but doesn't have a job doesn't want to work. It would be going against the grain of democracy to start selecting which groups in society get the chance to vote or not.

Do you really believe that you live in a democracy? Really?

Yes, all pay VAT but those on the dole use your dollars to pay it and you have no choice.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Are we talking in the USA or worldwide?
It shouldnt matter either way, I draw VA disability and dont pay taxes, so I shouldnt be allowed to vote?

I would imagine that you would be exemtped from losing your vote if a debate actually took place on this issue.

After all, you have contributed in other ways to9 your nation.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Should only taxpayers be allowed to vote?,

That's a really good question. At first I was going to say 'no' .. but then I thought about it and I might be tempted to say 'yes'. Why should someone who isn't contributing to the country get a say in how it's run?? Taking a look at the 'waste of air' people who go on Springer and who just suck off the rest of us, I'm thinking I'd rather NOT have them have any say in how this country is run.

I'll have to give it more thought and listen to the discussions back and forth.
Anyways .. good question.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNobody777

How much tax do we need to pay to vote then? Can i pay taxes one month, and then vote forever, or do i loose the right to vote, if i dont pay taxes in the month the vote take place??

Do i get the right to say i wont pay taxes, and i wont vote??

How about if you pay taxes, you get the right to see EXACTLY how every penny of it is spend??

Hard to say what the rules would end up looking like but I would start at the bottom and first eliminate the second and third generation of familes on the dole for all of their lives.

The main point is to not have tax takers decide where taxpayer wealth goes.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

This is a terrible idea, man, The whole point of a Democracy is to create a better life for the citizens in the country. The society you proposes basically allows corporations or the government to run regular citizens / people they don't like into the ground until they can't vote anymore.

Not only is this bad for a large percentage of the population, but it could result in instability.
edit on 22-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

What makes you think you live in a democracy?
As Carlin says, you have to be asleep to believe such.

We live in oligarchies. Not democracies. Our politicians are bought and paid for by those of wealth.

As to economic stability. Have you read about any such thing of late?

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

I think the elitist that think only they know how to vote responsibly should be required to prove it with a test.

edit on 22-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I think all who vote should show that they have enough on the ball to make informed decisions.
Being able to earn a living and pay taxes is a good bench mark.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I would revise that to only is you are receiving govt welfare. Social security and retirement income , military retirement pay (retainer fee as all are subject to recall into active duty with the stroke of a pen, for life), unemployment compensation does not serve as govt welfare.

No more food stamps for anyone. Return to the days of federal food distribution. Pay the farmers to produce, not pay the farmers to not produce. I remember the days of govt distributed cheese, dry milk, flour, rice, sugar, butter, canned meats, etc. to the poor. You were inspired to get off it and get an income to buy your own food.

You actually had to cook from a cook book.
edit on 27-1-2013 by tkwasny because: trypo fix

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
Absolutely... it is ridiculous that someone with no tax liability can vote for how my tax dollars are spent. The person offering up the most free stuff will always get elected.

I agree and resent long term welfare recipients having more than struggling workers.
I think the situation has become ridiculous and is making fools out of those who actually want to contribute.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
How about legal Gun Owners; ie The Militia?
Just trying to be controversial...sorry mates.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
I dont think only tax payers should be able to vote no. This is like ownership of poor people. And that only leads to trouble. People should have a right to vote, no matter financial status, color or any of their differences. I think however that tax payers should get a greater say. If that makes sense. But only a minor greater say. Meaning, they should have a greater impact on govenment interms of what happens with their taxes. Otherwise I think everyone is equal to have a political view. And all views are valid.

You want your cake and to eat it as well.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I paid taxes for a lot of years. Now after getting epilepsy I am on DSS. Doesn't a person have a right to collect from the insurance he paid in for thirty years and still get to vote?

Absolutely. There would be many exceptions as service can be given to the country in many ways.

I do not seek to disempower the taxtakers but do think taxpayers should have more rights than those who just take.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth
Odd to see someone try to compare one of those old philosopher guys to democracy when a college philosophy class taught me that those men thought that democracy was pretty much the worst kind of government anyway...

Short answer: NO!

Why the hell would someone support slavery? Which is exactly what one would be doing by saying " yeah... sure, you might work but I don't think it's good enough. You aren't making enough money so you shouldn't have a say on how things that will directly effect you as much as any other person in the country might be done."

That's just ridiculous...

Sure would beat having the poor decide on how much of the wealth they will vote themselves from the pockets of those who have earned it.

Hell, where I come from, people would stay on the dole even as they could work but with less pay than the dole.

When that is the case, there is definitely something wrong with the system.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

Short answer, No!

Did you know governments do more than just spend money? They make regulations and dictate rights. Should a man not have a say if his government decides to create a conscript army because he is poor?

Everyone adult who is a citizen of the nation should have say in its governance. No other factor should contribute to restricting representation for any natural born or naturalized citizen.

FMPOV, adults can earn a living and pay taxes.

Adults do not perpetually have their hands in other people's pocket.
Expecting something for nothing is not the way to train good citizens.

Regards
DL

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join