It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-INDIVIDUALS: al-Zarqawi - I'm the new terror godfather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Abu Musab al- Zarqawi, the terrorist leader who murdered British hostage Ken Bigley, claims that he is the 'new' bin Laden. According to sources within British Intelligence, the head of the Tawhid and Jihad terror cell has stated that bin Laden is in fear of Allied forces and that al-Zarqawi plans to take over the whole of al-Qaeda.

www.thesun.co.uk
Power-crazed Abu Musab al- Zarqawi brags he is the world’s new terror godfather.

He claims al-Qaeda chief Bin Laden is “in hiding” and even that he is “frightened” of Allied forces.

“He is making it clear that Bin Laden has taken flight and he is the only one with the guts to take on the West.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a very worrying turn about if true. al- Zarqawi has already proved that he is personally able to commit acts of atrocity upon civilians and appears to be more of a threat than bin Laden himself.

I doubt very much that he would dare denigrate bin Laden if his comments were untrue, in fear of the consequences for himself.

From this information I am inclined to believe that there is a power struggle going on within al-Qaeda, which could be exploited by the Allied forces. However, unless al- Zarqawi is promptly captured, there is no doubt in my mind that he will begin a campaign of terror within Iraq that will overshadow anything that has already occurred.

[edit on 28-10-2004 by Banshee]

LL1

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If this is an authentic statement, I believe it is a signal or message.
As just the other day Zarqawi pledged alliance with al Qaeda, and
prior to the alliance request, Zarqawi wrote a letter (several months
back) to OBL asking him, in almost please forgive type language, for
what he is doing in Iraq, and that he does not mean to step on any
toes.

Now to turn around, and state he is the godfather, doesn't fit.

“He is making it clear that Bin Laden has taken flight and he is the
only one with the guts to take on the West."

"taken flight" can have many types of meanings...

[edit on 28-10-2004 by LL1]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It is also possible that bin Laden is dead. Though he could be proclaimed as a martyr in his death, his ability to live through a massive hunt by the 'coalition' to find and kill him is far more motivational to jihadists than martyrdom. It sends kind of an MC Hammer 'Can't Touch This' message out.

Now, you want to maintian the faith bin Laden has instilled without letting on that he's been killed so you spend a few months in a dis-information campaign to slowly move support from your dead leader to his living counterpart. By the time the jihadists realize that bin Laden is dead, they will have been fighting for al-Zarqawi and will have nearly forgotten that they were followers of bin Laden originally. Then, after al-Zarqawi has demonstrated significant operational success, you let him announce that bin Laden has died for the cause and has instructed his followers to switch to following him. They've already been fighting for him for a while so the switch is only symbolic, but effective.

Just a thought...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Im with Chaos. I think bin Laden is dead and that is why this guy is making those claims. He would be putting a price on his own head if he were making those claims while Osama were still alive.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Some sources would be nice for this.

Are we sure this isn't disinformation or a play for tabloid sales?

[edit on 10/28/2004 by Majic]

top topics

join