It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 63 percent of Americans believe in at least one conspiracy theory!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

That's true but you'd basically be someone who has little intuition. You don't need proof to connect some of the dots.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

That's true but you'd basically be someone who has little intuition. You don't need proof to connect some of the dots.

Try making that work in a court of law. "Your honor, my intuition tells me that my client is innocent..."

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
reply to post by Klassified

I think it's more about leaning towards facts -- verifiable, provable facts. Conspiracies by their very nature, are un-provable claims, involving secret plans and actions. Those who place more importance on facts don't usually go for conspiracies.

You can have a distrust of government, but not believe conspiracies that don't have verifiable, undeniable, indisputable, provable, facts.

I think that's a fair synopsis and statement.

However, there are plenty of documented and proven conspiracies out there for anyone willing to do the research and reading. It is from those past proven cases, and the modus operandi used, that new conspiracies often arise.

At the same time, I must acknowledge the opposite extreme where conspiracies arise like a multi-headed Hydra from nothing, and have no basis in the remotest facts.

My point being, polls and statistics like this are often unbalanced and favor one extreme or the other.

Thanks for the well reasoned responses. I enjoy the opportunity of looking at a different perspective.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Try making that work in a court of law. "Your honor, my intuition tells me that my client is innocent..."

Do you think I'm trying to be a lawyer?

What a bizarre statement.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Yes, I would agree that there have been conspiracies that started out as theories, but enough factual evidence was brought to light, which changed them from "conspiracy theories" to historical facts. That's why I don't fault people for leaning towards a conspiracy theory before all the facts are in -- the people who bother me are those who present their theory as absolute fact without real proof (or when their "proof" has clearly been debunked).

Thanks - I enjoyed the conversation.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Do you think I'm trying to be a lawyer?

What a bizarre statement.

What's bizarre about facts? It's how we know for sure that something is real and not a delusion, or an outright lie. Do you have a problem with facts? How bizarre.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Those numbers are not shocking...kind of hopeful in my opinion. It simply shows that most Americans realize our Gov is a criminal organization and that they lie to us all the time...I think that might be a good thing to know.

Only when our Gov represents us and informs us will these things go away. As long as they think it is necessary to lie to the people that pay their salaries, we will continue to have people calling them out for the lies and disinformation.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Yes, I would agree that there have been conspiracies that started out as theories, but enough factual evidence was brought to light, which changed them from "conspiracy theories" to historical facts. That's why I don't fault people for leaning towards a conspiracy theory before all the facts are in -- the people who bother me are those who present their theory as absolute fact without real proof (or when their "proof" has clearly been debunked).

Thanks - I enjoyed the conversation.

Thank you for clarifying.

This whole more-educated-non-theorists argument was taking a nasty turn for the worst. Many other factors to consider:
- how much time has the doubter (or theorist, for that matter) really put into the cause.
- what type of picture is the media trying to paint - a very influential (and, many times not well-researched, themselves) outlet
- what are the consequences if the masses tend to lean more towards the conspiracy side of a particular subject(?)
- what are the sources being cited to corroborate evidence? Other theorists? Or video of the perp in their own words?
- and, on and on

If people don't question important things from time to time, we're ALL just sheeple. No matter what side of the fence you're on, I think most will agree that most MSM outlets have become biased or at least heavily influenced.

Conspiracies are about trying to control people, resources, or information. SOMEone, SOMEwhere, on EVERY side of EVERY issue/event that has ever occurred, has an interest in the outcome/origin. For some it is closure. For others it is truth. For some it is opportunity. For others it is influence. Pick your poison (but, only if the TRUTH is known, are you equipped learn and prepare - false information leads to wasted effort, I think that's why some people can become so passionate)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

ANOTHER factor to consider is: what is a person's current standard of living or outlook. If they are successful, happy, etc, they are less likely to (want to) buy in because everything that makes their lives worth living is likely out in jeopardy by some of the stuff we talk a out, here.

Taking that line of thinking - and, the topic of this thread - one step further:

My largest circle of friends is (obviously) those folks I've spent the most time with - college buddies/friends and work friends. Having said that, most of my friends are 1) college (and beyond) educated, and 2) successful to some degree (either always being employed, or several even owning business of their own)

Now, having said that... here is a post that a buddy posted on Facebook (to my shock), and following are ALL of the responses (even more shocked):

What's your viewpoint on conspiracy theories?

austinist.com...

I've got too many....

Where there is smoke, there is fire!

Lol ß my response

If even 10% is true - we're #ed

They are real!

This country was built on them...corruption at its finest!

Craziness!

I am afraid to comment because at least 3 government agency's are monitoring this at all times! :-)

Two sides to every argument?

Einstein said 3/~^£€¥4+#

(Still more shocking, was more 'Likes' than I was expecting)

Some food for thought, anyway.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join