The effects of masonic ritual on mind, body and spirit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
OK, for what it's worth, this is my take on the effect on the rituals. ..

Firstly, I think that the role of the Egyptian mystery schools in Freemasonry is very understated. Even the very first line of the Entered Apprentice lecture starts with: " The usages and customs among Freemasons have ever borne a near affinity to those of the ancient Egyptians." For some reasons, most Masons I know take this line with a pinch of salt and never really delve into the reason for this statement. I will start with a very brief History of Egyptian ritual, firstly, because it is an important key to understanding Masonic ritual, but also because it will then be easier to unravel the veiled symbolism contained within Freemasonry.

In the Egyptian Mystery schools, teaching was split into two components. The first component was called the Lesser Mysteries, which were lessons in moral and social virtues taught though trials, ceremonies and rituals. The ancient Egyptians understood very well that there was a limit to what someone could be taught by other people. The Lesser mysteries comprised largely of things that a person had to do in order to become a 'better' person. The Greater Mysteries had to be learned for oneself - through experience, study and thought. The process involved a transformation in which the candidate would ultimately be an embodiment of those Lesser Mysteries which taught you to do.

Perhaps I should digress a little here to explain how their (and our) ritual leads to actual spiritual transformation, and for that, we need to look at the work of C.G. Jung. Jung pointed out that a large part of a child's moral development was through stories. All great stories have basic themes and characters (heroes), and children hear the stories and identify with the heroes. After repeated hearings of the stories (often over many years), the child starts to take on some of the characteristics of the heroes, but more importantly, their self-identification is tinted with the moral values of that hero.

So, back to Freemasonry. Although it is more subtle and better disguised, Freemasonry also has Lesser and Greater Mysteries.The Lesser mysteries are found largely in the First and Second Degrees, where firstly, basic precepts are taught, and then you are expected to grow spiritually in the practice of these precepts - "to study more especially the hidden mysteries of nature and science." In a way, the Third degree has tons of references to "Greater Mysteries", although they are hidden within the ritual. When the Warden is asked: "Whence come you?", the answer he gives is "The West, whither (i.e. to which place) we have been in search of the genuine secrets. The West! In every other context, we are told to look to the East for enlightenment, but now, we find the Wardens searching in the West for the genuine secrets. Why?

When we enter Freemasonry, we are in a state of darkness, symbolically to emphasize the darkness or emptiness within our heart or soul. We seek enlightenment and first look for it in the East - where we find those virtues that are plain for everyone to see - that makes us a better person to the outside world. At this stage, we are learning the Lesser mysteries. Then, in the third degree, the ritual alludes to the transformation which must take place - the West - the place that light goes towards (not there place where light is) - in other words, we must look towards that dark place within our hearts. Indeed, that is what is meant when the ritual states that "The light of a Mason is Darkness Visible." It is alluding to the fact that the Greater Mysteries - the true secrets of a Master Mason - must ultimately be found withing that place which has been for a considerable time in a state of darkness - his own heart.

So what physical and spiritual effects does the ritual have on a Mason - the Lesser Mysteries contained within the ritual cause behavioral changes which are visible to the outside world - those moral and social virtues respected by society. As the ritual says - "You now stand, to all external appearances, a just and upright mason." These visible changes are those virtues by which we are seen to be a better person.

But then, as we learn the genuine secrets of a Master Mason - the Greater mysteries which are contained within our hearts, we undergo a transformation - a rough ashlar becoming perfect. We no longer need to try to do those virtues - we become the very embodiment of the teachings.

As the self-identification of a child ultimately becomes tinted with the values of their hero, so our own self-identification becomes more and more tinted with the values contained within our own rituals, so that ultimately, we no longer just do what Freemasons do – rather, we learn the true secrets – the greater Mysteries, and we actually undergo a real transformation and become a Freemason.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Lol still learning, going to take me a lifetime and a little more, to fully understand.

A lot of what I am learning also supports my spiritual beliefs.

I am very used to ritual having been a Buddhist monk for a number of years and being a practitioner of the tantric path ( absolutely nothing to do with sex, before its stated)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Thats precisely the well-thoughout and intellectually and spiritually satisfying response I would have hoped for when opening this thread. The do/be progression very much makes sense but I didnt know it comes from the Egyptian Mystery Schools. What you said regarding Jung and telling children stories also very much resonates.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
There is obviously a liar on the loose, and it isn't Jesus Christ.

And it isn't the Masons. So that narrows the field just a bit, wouldn't you agree?

And yet thousands of Christians blindly walk through that Masonic ritual hearing those false and blasphemous words from men who's love of self is so exalted that they think it's them who can bring someone into the light.

Thousands can be wrong but you aren't? I wonder who has the more bulletproof "love of self"?

Sure they can, just not the Light that is Jesus Christ nor the Light of the Most High. Just the light and brightness of beastly Adam.

Rituals, created by men for men, to worship the created. Rituals, perceptions of the senses that do nothing but prove lies as truths to men who prefer to stay in darkness.

Hoookay. Thanks for adding your two bits. I'm sorry you feel as you do and would love to know the genesis of your 'knowledge'

TIA
Fitz

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You still need to consciously engage for it to have a real effect though, for example I could sing the words to " momentary lapse of reason " for years before I actually made a conscious decision to understand them.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sergiana
It has occured to me personally that the functions of masons are all in all simplistic and honorable at the lower levels and yet we all wonder what happens at the highest levels of such a concept.

Could you be so kind as to define what qualifies as "the highest levels"? You see, 'high level' is such an innocuous term that's tossed-off here like cheap hand grenades and almost never defined in any kind of meaningful way.

Originally posted by Sergiana
I believe one of the main things that can help one advance besides a good mind for life in general is a good memory and they select and encourage such traits in a way.

Well, that's true for life in general (and Freemasonry is nothing if not a metaphor for life). A desire for improving one's self and becoming more generally serviceable to society in general is also strongly encouraged.

Bit of a let-down I know but sometimes truth just isn't so sexy as a rollicking conspiracy theory

Sorry to be such a buzzkill
Fitz

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
I am very used to ritual having been a Buddhist monk for a number of years and being a practitioner of the tantric path ( absolutely nothing to do with sex, before its stated)

Don't take it the wrong way, but I would rather hear tales about the latter.

In all seriousness, I would love to hear about being a monk. Is it like I imagine in the movies with burlap robes and vows of silence? Did you make wine?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Lol your thinking more Christian style monk. The robes I wore we're burgundy and yellow (Tibetan Buddhist)

If you have any questions feel free to u2u me as I don't want to go off topic :-)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
So masons...what are the effects of our rituals, if any?
I've spent time in judeo-christian churches, and I've spent time dancing naked around a fire practicing magick, and I've spent time in lodge. In my personal opinion, I didn't get the same, for lack of a better word, charge from my initiation, etc. that I have from practicing magick. Part of it may be to do with what energy the rest of the participants in the Masonic ritual put into their work... some of them (maybe even many of them) know and recite the words without pouring much of themselves into it. It's a rote performance rather than something heartfelt.

I think the esotericism is stil in Masonry, but you really have to go looking for it, because a few generations of men have gone by who weren't scholars of those topics, and didn't join for that enlightenment.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
and I've spent time dancing naked around a fire practicing magick,

Thank you so much for that visual. It's going to take weeks to make that one go away.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Thank you so much for that visual. It's going to take weeks to make that one go away.

It'll take me years and years, because I secretly like it..

yummy naked hot fireyness

Did I enhance the visual?

Meanwhile someone never responded back to me so I can now assume I am not umm.. the Type that get's allowed in...

That's all I will say, and it's no one who is in this post that I am responding to..

I guess I'll continue on my hermetics and alchemy and Jesus following... The buddhist with a cause as it were..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

So masons...what are the effects of our rituals, if any?
I've spent time in judeo-christian churches, and I've spent time dancing naked around a fire practicing magick, and I've spent time in lodge.

Its certainly true that those three have a whole different charge about them. We probably get the most short-term fun and inspiration out of magick/shamanic/esoteric type of activities but masonry (or churches) seem to be long-term...uh...character-builders.

Thanks for the descriptive post.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar

You still need to consciously engage for it to have a real effect though, for example I could sing the words to " momentary lapse of reason " for years before I actually made a conscious decision to understand them.

True. If you just memorize the words they dont mean a thing. After many years of Freemasonry I still found myself wondering "just what on earth is this about?". But once a conscious effort was made to understand what I was memorizing, the whole thing improved greatly.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

can't fault a man for being skeptical about anything he reads on the internet.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by notkmarx
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

can't fault a man for being skeptical about anything he reads on the internet.

Especially when it involves a fraternity he's a member of and relates a tale of behaviour that while being quite at odds with the directed norms of the fraternity, dovetails nicely with the tall tales that've been repeatedly told about the fraternity.

Fitz

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by network dude

It'll take me years and years, because I secretly like it..

yummy naked hot fireyness

shuddup, Shuddup SHUDDUPPPPPP!!!!!! My frontal lobe! My poor frontal lobe! That image is gonna take a whole can of Draino (direct application) to wash away.

Thanks for blowing my Friday night! Just thanks!

Fitz

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Jesus said, “I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness” John 12:46 He also said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12).

That sounds like a bearer of light to me.....Ever think there is something to the thought that Lucifer = Jesus??

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

That sounds like a bearer of light to me.....Ever think there is something to the thought that Lucifer = Jesus??

Most cosmologies revolve around light and darkness. Throughout History we have a lot of entities proclaiming to be light and fighting darkness. It takes some research and dedication to establish a reliable "who's who". In evaluating that question I go with something Jesus (incidentally) said: "By their fruits you shall know them".

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Most cosmologies revolve around light and darkness. Throughout History we have a lot of entities proclaiming to be light and fighting darkness.

Duality is a concept I am pretty familiar with

Law of opposites

Marx and Engels started with the observation that everything in existence is a combination or unity of opposites. For example, electricity is characterized by a positive and negative charge and atoms consist of protons and electrons which are unified but are ultimately contradictory forces. Even humans through introspection find that they are a unity of opposite qualities. Masculinity and femininity, selfishness and altruism, humbleness and pride, etc. The Marxist conclusion being that everything "contains two mutually incompatible and exclusive but nevertheless equally essential and indispensable parts or aspects."¹ The basic concept being that this unity of opposites in nature is the thing that makes each entity auto-dynamic and provides this constant motivation for movement and change. This idea was borrowed from Georg Wilhelm Hegel who said: "Contradiction in nature is the root of all motion and of all life."

en.wikipedia.org...

Good read as well ^^
edit on 26-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

Marx and Engels started with the observation that everything in existence is a combination or unity of opposites.

Marx and Engels? Id say it goes further back than that. The Hermeticists (indeed the Kybalion). And before that the Hindus and Buddhists. In fact, duality is the basis of every World Religion.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join