It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Seeks Sanctions against USA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
BRUSSELS/GENEVA (Reuters) - The European Commission (news - web sites) gave the United States an autumn deadline on Wednesday to change disputed tax break laws for major corporations or face the threat of up to $4.0 billion in sanctions.

LINK

What will this all mean to the US?

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Means that corporations will face a little bit more trouble.

All this means is that the US has give in a little to avoid a big fine.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Or, well blow off the EU, tell them to shove thier fines up thier asses, and carry on. Either way, i find it all amusing. Sadly, in a capitalist society, tax breaks are needed to keep the big fat crybaby cats of cooperate america on US soil, lest they move more jobs overseas and leave more americans unemployed. Our govornments cater to them alot. But in the end, no matter how much you appease them, cooperations know no loyalty, and will move anyway and sellmout the people. Just like Boeing did here in seattle: for 70 years they were headqaurtered here, and Seattle cut them so many breaks, kissed thier ass, ect. And yet still boeing decided to leave and set up in chicago where its cheaper.

The EU's threat will certainly harm the US economy enough as is, driving more companies out of US soil fatser. perhaps that is the aim of the EU, to weaken thier rival firther and add salt to our economic wounds.

Either way, its a matter of big fat players on top manipulating the fates and well beings of people below.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No it is to stop the BULLY

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by britchick

No it�s not, that will divide people between people, is not good, americans will say why we should pay that money to europe?
America has a 6 trillion debt (federal reserve) the citizen won�t accept that, and also they will say that�s how europe pays back all the help from the americans?

Well in this story all is propaganda, we the people, doesn�t matter from where, are paying the taxes, the wars, the developing of WMD, ICBM, Militar etc etc etc...

We pay this star wars story daily...
This thing will bring a worst situation really, i just don�t want the NWO to f*f*ck up the relations between the people of the world, just becuase of their sick game...

I hope rational people understands who takes those kind of decisions, and blames the correct person, instead of blaming countries, or blame europe....

They will divide us, in groups of political ideals, like in a strategy game, the difference is that the bosses above are all together, it will be easier for them to control the population if we are separated by ideals...

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Ahem...........Europe has never been one to stop bullys before, really. Why start now?

The US isnt doing anything new you know. Like, lets not discuss YOUR history of imperialism and brutality. Makes us look like pussys realy.

No, Europe simply doesnt want the US pissing in thier pool too. They dont really care about us, or any of the "poor victim countries" anymore than we do. They simply have thier own interests. The condmenation of "bully" coming from a nation that has gassed countless people, started internation drug pushing (Opium Wars) slaughtered other settlers to push thier own in (boers) and basically ran a huge racket of an Empire that they eventually lost because they bankrupted themselves fighting two soooo very stupid and sooooooo very preventable wars is amusing, to say the least.

Either way, Europe is moaning over the empires they once ruled and now lost. they cant handle the fact that they are has beens. Europe is the past. The US is the now. And Asia is the very NEAR future.

So, Europe, quit wasting breath bitching about the US. Were not going to be bullying for much long. Start getting ready for Asian dominion.they will soon be the new world overlords, economically, militarily, and culturally. We will be removing our military from Europe soon enough anyway, well need it to fight off of stave any form of agression from Asia, which is approaching in the near future. If you are really nice now and start supporting them and learn not to be so damn shrewish with them as you were with us, they might even cut you in on the action.

Remeber, China will not take kindly to your incessant nagging and whining like we so tolerantly have. China does have a reputation for being a little less tolerant towards old whining wives.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What? Did the E.U. say something? I wasn't listening. Must not have been that important. Think it was something about autumn.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Take into consideration that when looking at the history of the United States as a whole, it has been Europe who has been for the most part the enemy. Now with France selling out it seems clear that the proverbial circle is complete, this being that in dealing with Hitler the USA showed compassion to a culture which has consistently done everything in it power do bring this country down.

As a reuslt it is apparent that England, Australia. Italy and what was known as the Warsaw pact are allies and that should be treated as a victory for the US.

As far as the rest

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is most likely the EUs first attempt at a counterstrike against the US for what we did to them in Iraq: We (at least temporarily) torpedoed thier attempt to gain global economic supremacy by obtaining the lions share of hard asset backing for thier primary currency, the Euro.

Because the EU knows that it cannot stand against us in a military conflict, and they also know that we have plans to expand our influence in the MidEast (Syria, Iran, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia are still on our to-do list), and the EU global supremacy is riding on whether or not OPEC adopts the Euro as a oil standard currency, the EU is doing its level best to slow us down and give them and OPEC time to formulate an opposition plan to us.

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You arrogant American idiots. Britain stopped Hitler didn't they? With Americas help of course but it was very late. I am not saying the EU is great but how you can criticise Eruope I dont know. You idiots carry guns around with you and will just end up shooting each other because it is in your constitution or some bollocks.
Arrogant #ers

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by britchick
You arrogant American idiots. Britain stopped Hitler didn't they? With Americas help of course but it was very late. I am not saying the EU is great but how you can criticise Eruope I dont know. You idiots carry guns around with you and will just end up shooting each other because it is in your constitution or some bollocks.
Arrogant #ers

Does the librarian know what site you're looking at? Spit out that gum and get back to class!

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Britchick would be a germchick without us, so she should be happy she's still Brit

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
We aren't battling the military problems, were battling the economic and capitatlist problems. I never thought about it that way, we went to war for the same reasons that caused the Cold war, we dont want the EU to spread the same as communism.

Just like we wont be battling soldiers against the NWO but polititians and government officials.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Germchick - doubtful, yes the USA helped us out with the war but if we surrendered to the crouts like the gutless French did then you lot would have been next, yes you helped us and probably won the war quicker than we would have done if you hadn't helped us out. But we were fighting that war for years before you lot turned up.

Why because I have opinions that are not pro America must I be at school - Grow up! People can be of a mature age and hate America too.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Germchick - doubtful, yes the USA helped us out with the war but if we surrendered to the crouts like the gutless French did then you lot would have been next, yes you helped us and probably won the war quicker than we would have done if you hadn't helped us out. But we were fighting that war for years before you lot turned up. Posted by Britchick

Actually, England was fighting the war and loosing for years. The only reason that you managed to keep your head above water for so long was because of favorable geography (the english channel) preventing a straightforward land invasion, and the fact that Germany was still getting things squared away with the rest of Europe, and really didnt have time to bother with England at that point.

Once Germany had the rest of Europe tucked away and had the time and resources to devote to taking out a small island country, England had at most 90 days before completely capitulating to Germany.

Also, do not forget that the US was assisting in the war far before the US actually entered the war. Do you forget that at one point during the Battle of Britain, England was down to less than 100 Spitfires and Typhoons, and less than 50 Lancaster bombers? It was a massive influx of AMERICAN made P-51 Mustangs, P-38 Lightings, and B-17s that kept your country afloat for as long as it managed.

At one time, after the disaster of Dunkirk, England was so woefully underarmed with small arms that it begged for any and all weapons it could acquire. Previously, when General Thompson tried to illicit interest in his M-1928 Thompson submachine gun (Tommy Gun), the British army sneered at him, largely due to the "gangster" image it had gained in the US. After Dunkirk, the British army begged for every last Thompson that rolled off the production lines of Auto Ordinance.

Things have not changed a great deal in the present.

The UK is still joined at the hip with the US in terms of economy and politics. Having cast thier lot with America, Blair et al understands the dangers of having the EU Euro come to prominence, and is therefore quite willing to assist the US in whatever actions are neccessary to prevent the expansion of the EU.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
BritChik

Your intial reply just lacked the tact and proper wording for someone of experience and education. It was very clear that your post came from raw emotion and deep seeded hatred most likely derived from being fed propaganda and just accepting it without researching it or using the judgement I would expect a contemporary adult to utilize before forming opinions and especially unloading a blitz of accusations that have no basis in fact.

My post, which I will admit was quite off the cuff, was no more so than your's and sometimes I use this sort of nonsensical one-sidedness not as my true belief but as a baseline for comparison of such non-logical, emotional hatred. Truly I meant no harm or personal insult. I merely attempted to "lighten" the mood again after your tantrum..

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
On a serious note, It was a must for the US to get involved for our own sake as well as Europe. More likely than not, Germany would have won without either of the combination. If we had let Germany take Europe, I feel we would have eventually(and probably very soon) had to face them alone. So can we agree it was a combined effort because the alternative is just too terrible to think about? The moral of that story is to take out that kind of ruthless dictator when you can and not wait to see what he's going to do next...now let me see, where since then have we made the right choice to do just that?

Its great for Brits to have national pride for standing up to a bully and its great for Americans to have pride that we helped do the right thing. Its stupid for Brits to say we could have done it without you and its stupid for Americans to say we could have done it without them.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Just ignore Britchick. She doesn't represent the views of educated UK people, who fully understand that by the time the US came into the war, we were on our asses and overstretched. We could never have taken Hitler on our own, though it is doubtful he could have invaded us. More likely there would have had to be a peace agreement between the UK and Germany. Yeah, it still bites the average UKer that the US policy of isolationism meant we fought and died alone for so long, but that's human nature and I don't believe any Yank would feel different if the shoe were on the other foot. All that matters in the end though is the old adage "better late than never". It has never rung truer in any other context. If the US hadn't joined WW2, the best scenario that the UK could have hoped for was a Europe under the jackboot and a very uneasy peace with Hitler. Economically and socially we would have been dead.

Also, whenever this argument pops up it's never argued with logic. It's always fueled by patriotism or ignorance - just as Britchick has displayed. But don't be too hard on her as patriotism is a good thing if it is applied rightly. She just needs to curb the anti-US slurs a bit is all.

Which brings us back to the subject of the thread: Is this sanction threat a power struggle between the US and Europe?
The answer is yes. But isn't an idealogical struggle. It's a struggle over that supreme power - MONEY.
This is business. It's the way that economies work both sides of the Atlantic. Europe doesn't think it is playing on a level playing field and it wants an equal share of the money.
The US had already raised taxes on imported steel and had hurt European's steel corporations. Steel corporations don't like this; they go back to their governments and lobby them for action. The EU know that they have to act or other businesses could be affected, more tariffs imposed, and before you know it, they've got major economic problems (even more than they've got now).

It's just business. Or more importantly - MONEY.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The point I think BritChick is missing is that while the UK certainly had a great deal of heart and soul in winning the war, the UK is still an island nation, with finite resources and industrial production capability. Assuming that the UK did stand alone against Germany, they would be facing he total German industrial capacity (several times greater than England in one on one comparison), as well as the entire European industrial capacity, which by that time was totally under German control, and therefore being used against England.

The US on the other hand, had far more industrial capacity, nearly equal to the European total, and the ability to outproduce the enemy in people, weapons and ammunition goes much further to winning a war than anything else.

As far as US isolationism at the time, well, FDR did his level best to get us in the war on Englands side, and indeed, succeeded with Pearl Harbor (which the US fully knew was going to happen, and in fact egged Japan into it intentionally, with the express intent of suffering a massive military and civilian loss in order to raise public opinion to join the war).

Anyone ever read the book "Day of Deceit"?

The answer is yes. But isn't an idealogical struggle. It's a struggle over that supreme power - MONEY. Posted by Leveller

Absolutely correct! Specifically, it is about the hard asset backing of MONEY. (Ah hell, Ive posted enough about that, you guys know what Im talking about!)

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I am in fact extremely well educated and do represent the majority of british peoples opinion.
Yes I know America helped us out but you cannot say you won the war for us.
But if it wasn't for British soldiers in Iraq namely the SAS you would still be fighting now.
Thanks for your help.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join