It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China colonel raises nuclear spectre

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

www.smh.com.au

A CHINESE military officer has warned Australia not to side with the United States and Japan if war breaks out in the East China Sea.

Senior Colonel Liu Mingfu said the US and Japan had provoked the ire of the Chinese people for ''violating the security, peace and stability of the Asia Pacific''.

He said China was a peace-abiding nation but would fight ''to the death'' if sufficiently provoked.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/22/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Things are definitely heating up now...especially now since a warning has been given to Australia.

''America is the global tiger and Japan is Asia's wolf and both are now madly biting China,'' Colonel Liu said.

''Of all the animals, Chinese people hate the wolf the most.

''Australia should never play the jackal for the tiger or dance with the wolf.''

Colonel Liu asked that his message be conveyed directly to the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, as she prepares to deliver a major speech on national security.

His views do not represent Chinese government policy, but he said they were consistent with what mainstream Chinese political and military leaders think, if not what they say.

Colonel Liu is one in a group of outspoken hawkish PLA officers, who do not claim to speak on behalf of the leadership, but are given a conditional licence to speak stridently on some issues at some times.

So this officer is pretty serious considering he has asked that the message be relayed to the Prime Minister directly. And while his personal views do not represent that of the Chinese Government, he is allowed to speak out on specific things...so perhaps it was the Chinese Government who told him to send this message.

Either way, it sucks to be in Australia's position.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-1-2013 by daaskapital because: ex

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Beg pardon? I hope China realizes if wishes were horses, fools would ride. The Australia I know of is not going to take warnings about who or what to 'side with', from anyone.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Daas Kapital,

What is the mood of the Australian people concerning this?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Austraila should not be concerned from bullying tactics from either side of the potential conflict. Australia should side with whoever their electorate want their government too. Australia also has no reason to be scared of either power as Geographically, Australia has to be one of the hardest countries in the world to attack. If anything does happen and Australia require any assistance from the UK, our boys would do it with honour for our Commonwealth partners, but I am sure they are capable of looking after themselves anyway.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Article has now been edited for some reason...

A CHINESE military officer has raised the spectre of nuclear weapons and warned Australia not to side with the United States and Japan as a territorial dispute in the East China Sea continues to escalate.

Senior Colonel Liu Mingfu, of the National Defence University, blamed America's ''orchestration'' and Japan's ''militarism'' for rising tensions over disputed islands known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China.

Asked about the People's Liberation Army fighting capability, Colonel Liu referred to the PLA department that houses China's strategic missile and nuclear arsenal.

He raised a hypothetical scenario that he said would justify a nuclear attack, while clarifying that he was not calling upon China to take such measures.

''If this Japanese wolf again attacks America's Pearl Harbour or Australia's Darwin, how do you know it wouldn't receive another nuclear bomb?'' Colonel Liu said. ''The world would hail if Japan receives such a blow.

''I don't want to mention China here, as it is sensitive,'' he added.

Now there is talk of hypothetical nuclear attacks...wtf??? This guy is nuts

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Daas Kapital,

I just think most Aussies prefer to side with the USA, but when faced in a predicament like this, a lot of people would rather us stay neutral...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Maybe but not so hard if attacked on the East Coast or where the cities are located to the West or South. I have always thought that China is a sleeping giant with its tail coiled around Australiana - Australia should be afraid, not complacent.

China has a massive army etc.
edit on 22-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Iamschist

Austraila should not be concerned from bullying tactics from either side of the potential conflict. Australia should side with whoever their electorate want their government too. Australia also has no reason to be scared of either power as Geographically, Australia has to be one of the hardest countries in the world to attack. If anything does happen and Australia require any assistance from the UK, our boys would do it with honour for our Commonwealth partners, but I am sure they are capable of looking after themselves anyway.

Yes I believe that is basically what I said.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Daas Kapital,

I heard Kevin Rudd choked on his cantonese dinner.

Other than that... who said what now?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I'm sure we all agree on specific things

link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Yes China has a massive army but completly lacks the logistical support to project it anywhere. Australia has a fine Navy and Air Force which would make your verly Large but Very Isolated Island relatively easy to defend. Plus there is obviously a nuclear deterrant from the UK, of which I am sure could be utilised should you require. Our Trident fleet is still pretty hard to defend against and Australia certainly would be a partner worth putting the UK in the firing line for.

link   
I wouldn't worry too much Daas, China is realistically at least a decade away from being a serious threat in military terms (or immediate in economic!).

Yes, they have a huge military but the tech is no good - yet. Take for example, their new Stealth Fighters. They look like the real deal but (according to a Department of Defence report) are at least 8 years from being fully operational. It is the same in other areas too - they have stolen / being given plans but actually understanding the mechanics only comes with practice and experience.

Therefore, i think Australia's wisest position would be one of international "fence sitting" for the next decade!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Statements like these are probably based on a fear that the Australians will participate. The PRC probably knows how they have only a small chance to beat the U.S. in combat. If Australia enters on the American side, the PRC knows that they have no chance.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Or what?

"Don't start a war with us or we'll start a war with you".

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Explanation:S&F!

[size=72]I TOLD YOU ALL SO!

And over TWO YEARS AGO!

Here ...

Next Elections lets Vote 1 China OK! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-2-2010 @ 11:07 PM)

And here is a good reason why ...

China increasess military spending by 12.7 per cent (by OmegaLogos posted on 4-3-2011 @ 08:41 PM) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: And it is not the only good reason ... I have many!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

You told us what. Something of which we all already knew anyway. Not so much of a told you so thread, more of a hey, look at me , I can spot the obvious.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Therefore, i think Australia's wisest position would be one of international "fence sitting" for the next decade!

And then what ..... ????? I think Australia is being eyed up by green eyed monsters who are over populated and looking for fresh lands. It might not be for 10 or 20 years - but one day that sleeping giant will awake.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Why do the Chinese hate wolves? Sarah Palin and her husband would feel right at home there. Wolves are loving and intelligent animals, so for the Chinese to hate them puts a strange twist on this current issue. Well, hopefully Obama and other world leaders will get China and Japan into neutral corners and defuse the situation. As Oliver Stone would say "Where is Henry Wallace when you need him."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join