It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India warns of nuclear threat to Kashmir

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
What do ATS members think of this warning? Just some saber rattling from the Indian government? Something more serious? There's not a lot of detail.

I know the two countries India and Pakistan have long harbored tensions over Kashmir. I understand that relations were rather peaceful since about 1999 until in recent months where they flared up again as the short article mentions.

Seems quite ominous and concerning given the specter of a nuclear conflict amid these tensions and deadly flareups reemerging.

India warns of nuclear threat to Kashmir

OFFICIALS in India-controlled Kashmir are warning people to build bomb-proof basements, store enough food and water for two weeks and be prepared for a possible nuclear war.

There was no official reason given for the sudden concern about a nuclear attack in the region, repeatedly fought over by nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan.

However, a series of deadly skirmishes along a cease-fire line in recent weeks has heightened tensions between the two countries.

Kashmir police published the advisory on Monday in the Greater Kashmir newspaper.

The notice advised people to build bomb shelters with toilets and to stockpile food. It also provided advice on how to survive attacks with chemical and biological weapons.

Local authorities did not answer calls for comment.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

they are vulnerable and that vulnerability poses a real threat to the entire world.

India have big issues with internal and external security. Attack on Mumbai is a good example of some of their issues.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
omg it must be a 'hard topic' sheesh .. plenty of flags and stars but only moi has so far commented... and I declare that I am not part of the thread killer anonymous group...

I wish I could give the OP another star and flag for leaving the ATS community finger tied.

edit on 22~1~2013 by Thurisaz because: r

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It is just their way of saying "Leave It!" but in the manor of a 14 year old hormonal girl.

They have been making threats to each other for year and nothing has come of it. Again if one of them starts on each other it will kick off WW3 and not country want to be known as the one that starts WW3

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I would take such a warning extremely seriously. That whole region could get very ugly very quickly. You have India, Pakistan and China, all sharing a cultural practice of murdering baby girls, resulting in male top-heavy populations. All three are nuclear armed. Then you have sabre-rattling between China and Japan, lots of festering resentments there. OK Japan isn't nuclear capable yet (well it isn't a nuclear weapon til they finish tightening the last bolt, is it?)
India and Pakistan have been close to a nuclear exchange a few times in the past, but China looks hungriest to me at the moment.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
its an usual exercise to raise general awareness among public and it got nothing to do with tension in line of control
edit on 22-1-2013 by Arihant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
some more sources:

abcnews.go.com...

www.dailystar.com.lb...

www.foxnews.com...

This is a serious development. The situation is particularly dangerous because it would affect 3 nuclear powers incl. China, hopefully cooler heads will prevail. Asia is heating up a little more every day, reminds me of Europe some 70/80 years in the past - hopefully the outcome(s) won't be the same as history told us ever so often.

Originally posted by Arihant
its an usual exercise to raise general awareness among public and it got nothing to do with tension in line of control

weird timing though.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Kashmir is a powder keg and tension between Pakistan and India is very high at present.

There has been a series of tit-for-tat border incursions recently and several soldiers have been killed.

There has been military confrontations over the region before.

I know from personal experience that many Indian and Pakistani people have an intense hatred of each other, something that is often reflected by the respective governments.

The situation is further complicated by China's presence in the region.

In addition India would never allow Pakistans nuclear arsenal to fall into extremists hands and would likely take pre-emptive action if it was ever thought likely.

Any military confrontation between the two nations could easily develop into a nuclear conflict - with serious global repercussions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In general, I think either one would be absolutely nuts to fire a nuke at the other. I mean that's sort of just the obvious. But what world leader isn't absolutely nuts?

However, if it did happen, I think China has probably learned by now never to let a good crisis go to waste- and could potentially take advantage of the situation to advance their interests in those hotly disputed islands with Japan, as well as possibly other areas.

I mean think of it: if nukes went off, it would immediately put the entire world on red alert. The US would be scrambling on what to do, the UN would be in emergency session meetings- while in the meantime, China attacks all those interests with the "kill the chickens to scare off the monkeys" approach. Hell, they might even make a move on Taiwan at that point. And from what I've read the US military has been pretty concerned about China's ability to achieve area access denial. And the US with all this war, and Obama cutting funding, is not exactly at its strongest point.

Russia, upset anyway about the missile shield problem, might decide it's time to do some meddling of its own. I understand talk of nukes back in Cuba has come up as a renewed threat.

American civil war might be the least of our problems if those nukes go off.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The watchers wouldn't let it happen anyway...

Humans think they control the show around here when in truth they are just servants.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

No first use (NFU) refers to a pledge or a policy by a nuclear power not to use nuclear weapons as a means of warfare unless first attacked by an adversary using nuclear weapons. Earlier, the concept had also been applied to chemical and biological warfare. As of October 2008, China,[1] India[2] and North Korea[3] have publicly declared their commitment to no first use of nuclear weapons.

en.wikipedia.org...

India India adopted a "no first use policy" after its nuclear tests in 1998. India's nuclear policy currently states that even though there will be no first-use of nuclear weapons by India, "nuclear retaliation to a first strike will be massive and designed to inflict unacceptable damage".[14] Indian National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon signaled a significant shift from "no first use" to "no first use against non-nuclear weapon states" in a speech on the occasion of Golden Jubilee celebrations of the National Defence College in New Delhi on October 21, 2010, a doctrine Menon said reflected India's "strategic culture, with its emphasis on minimal deterrence."[15][16]

Pakistan Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari said on November 22, 2008 that his country was ready to commit to no first use of nuclear weapons against India.[28] This promise took the establishment in Pakistan by surprise, with analysts and politicians saying the "uninformed" President may have spoken "off the cuff".[29] Pakistan has not formally subscribed to No First Use.[30]

edit on 22-1-2013 by rainychica because:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You have no idea about indian politics current goverment will never use nuke on pakistan.they may use on china but never on pakistan .
although in case Delhi is destroyed by Pakistan's nuke army will wipe out pakistan.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Something seems to be 'in-the-wind'. China quadrupled its import of rice last year which shocked the UN and worl community. They've also significantly increased import of other key commodities (iron ore, copper, etc.) What are they stockpiling for? What do they know that we don't?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
China is planning to fight a regional war.Its that simple.
They need resources, and they are going to get as much as possible.
I would estimaye they will eventually try for Vietnam again too.....

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What if India announced this as a warning about a potential upcoming False Flag operation? Imagine they use a small tactical nuke and detonate it in a lower-populated area and blame it on Pakistan and use that as whatever justification for what they do next.

Call me crazy, but I could see it happening.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Just a few lines of fearmongering are enough to unchain a discussion that will end with a whole conjecture.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
The watchers wouldn't let it happen anyway...

Humans think they control the show around here when in truth they are just servants.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
During my army term, we were practicing the procedures for case of nuclear attack. Atomic from the left, Atomic from the right...

What is the problem? Militaries of many world countries have nuclear weapons, and many of Warsaw's ones are missing since its abolishing, noone can be sure. Some terorist groups can, eventualy, get such a weapons, and it is better to be prepared for, in any moment, for any case. What is the goal in such a case? To survive, and to protect citisens survived. Etc.
edit on 23-1-2013 by dragnik because: additional text

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

This region is a scary place. It actually may be good advice for their citizens.
With Israel being less cooperative, and the whole Arab Spring thing, there is a lot of
destabilization going on. On the other hand, if things do get worked out, it will be good for the
globe as a whole. I am hoping for the best, but fear for the worst.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nuke_c

That is a big bussines, selling nukes. And, after that... ??? Provisions are the most important

There are a lot of savages in the world having nukes...

What are savages? Tribes legaly punishing people by castrating, cutting hands and legs, plucking tongs, ears, eyes, quartering, etc. Isn't that under 'cruel punishments'?
edit on 23-1-2013 by dragnik because: additional text

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join