It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tactile flashbacks ptsd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
some members who have got to know me over the years will know I have (had) PTSD and well the tactile flashbacks are/were unbearable to the point that it drove me well and truly over the edge and even my Doc has not helped with the body sensations!; other forms of therapy (like tapping) help but do not take the tactile stuff away BUT I figured out just recently WHAT DOES get rid of them. (for me anyway)

halleluyah... (spelling is wrong but you know what I mean)

well I worked it out just recently and I hope it helps others...

"even if bad stuff from the past (I can't cope with) is happening right now... It doesn't matter COS I am NOT there.."

anyone who has PTSD will understand that triggers are anything that reminds a person of a traumatic event and it can and does take you back to the event... and for years I just tried to distract 'the other reality'... and tried to ignore it and that is very hard to do... very hard.

People talk about being in the here and now, or 'focus' on the present but that is really hard to do if you have PTSD.

anyway.. I have had a real breakthrough with the acceptance 'that if it is still happening, it doesn't matter cos I am here... "

so it is not like saying it isn't happening cos it might be (yanno, my ghost might be still there) but it doesn't matter cos I am in another place... I hope that makes sense... it makes sense to me anyway and I hope it makes sense to others who struggle to cope in life because of this horrible effing thing called PTSD

Psychology of the body - PTSD (questions, observations from personal experiences)

sad cos a lot of People don't survive this condition... but thread above is historical and this thead I feel illustates hope for recovery

edit on 22~1~2013 by Thurisaz because: PTSD doesn't deserve captital letters ...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the post!

I also live in the "post"-PTSD world. My initial "therapy" was a joke (as many PTSD sufferers can attest to). What really threw me over the edge was the fact that the USAF-sponsored psychiatrist did not want to test me for PTSD and once whispered in our session that, "PTSD is a sensitive issue for the government."

Anywho, I was at wits end; suicidal; not even sure what was real anymore. My wife found a hypnotherapist. So, I went with an open mind, hoping for the best. I've never experienced hypnosis and looking back now, I'm not even sure anything really happened. But, there was one lasting effect that I took away. I recall the emotions and battles I fought under hypnosis and while it may all just "be in my head", I walked away a better, more at peace with myself and my world.

I'm not saying this is a cure all, but it's another form of healing to consider - especially for those who are subject to the ridiculous approach from the military health community.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Would you be willing and able to articulate in a summary way more specifically the tactile, kinnesthetic sensations you had that were PTSD related, triggered?

And then, what specific thoughts, actions, procedures helped you get beyond that?

I'm a lot more fuzzy in my understanding on what you are saying on those scores than I'd like to be.

Thx in advance.

join