It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are involved in this whether you like it or not !!!! Questions not answered here.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

YOUR MIND HAS TO BE SOME PLACE ELSE I THINK. That is where I get my hypothosis from I guess if our mind has to be some place else when wew are asleep what about our body ???

What you see is what your mind is. Nothing exists outside of it. How you perceive things depends of the attachment you have for a color, a form, a physical law....Think about the times when everything is clear to you, when illusions no longer exists ...well, that form of thought/being has been living since eternity, switching from bodies to bodies, nonobstant your race, age or timeline. After it evaporates from you and you become dumb again, it only waits to be borned again while it travels.

Life is like a dream too. You said that in dreams, you can do whatever you see fit. The same happens in life as your choices have an impact on how your environment evolves.

My hypothesis about dreams is that your state understands the environment in your dream so deeply that it can alter it in any way you want. Since you are the creator of this dream state, you can act like a God. You created the physics that allowed you to run at 50 mph. WHy does your dream feel more real sometimes? Because of what your mind choose to be: a more real dream. Is there a cause to these effects? Where does the will come from?

The same goes with life. Try to tell people the very truth you are thinking about, and you will shape your environment exactly the way you want it to be. Start lying and you'll loose control over the events; then the illusion will appear.

Again, what you see is what your mind is. Your body on the other end has been invaded by other stuff. About sleep, I may be wrong, but the drop your body takes in temperature means something else is using heat to make Work, like in thermodynamics. Since any worked system is more organised that the previous, this leads to a better networking for information to travel.
And the better the info travels, the lesser the illusion and the closer to the experience of reality.
So maybe insomnia induced hallucinations have something to do with a bad network of information, like in delirious fevers.

it is said that many rationalists, like Descartes missed the point that the thinker is the thought itself.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I have very vivid dreams.. sometimes I remember them almost like little movies.. and sometimes only bits and pieces.. or even tiny glimpses.. like something that slipped my mind.

I have at times been aware in my dream that I'm dreaming.. and had lucid experiances.

I have sometimes been aware of reality outside my dream.. like the alarm or the phone.. they will work themselves into my dream at first.. then I will become aware that I'm dreaming and it the phone or the alarm... then I'll choose either to wake up or continue dreaming. Sometimes I'll half wake up aware I'm awake but still half dreaming and choose to either get up.. or get back to dreaming. My dreams sometimes argue with my waking self in the sense that I want to stay dreaming but my body is more then ready to wake up... I'll do alot of tossing and turning.. partial wake ups etc.. till I get frustrated and get up.

I've had dream continuations.. where my dream one night.. picks up where it left off.

I do not believe that when we sleep we are outside our own dimension, in the sense that we are experiancing some other beings dimension but we are certainly not in the waking reality that we know.

It I believe is also easier for us to experiance things outside our dimension while dreaming.. like out of body.. or a visit from ghosts or dimensional beings.. precognition.. etc..but that it is not the norm. Mostly it's just innocent sleeping and dreaming.

As far as sleep deprivation... I feel kinda trippy.. sorta paranoid.. and oddly hyper aware.. when I am deprived of sleep for a long period of time.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Okay, here we go lol trying to explain my weird dreams:

(By the way I chalk most every one of em to just a good imagination, but you make your own conclusions)

On the whole I remember my more interesting dreams exactly, or nearly so, even weeks or months after.

I sometimes dream in ways that transcend the normal senses, instead I may feel and sense in things like electromagnetic signals or even in methods much simmilar to computer coding. I'm never a human in these dreams, I don't see or hear more just get information. Usually I'm trying to complete some kind of task (usually travel of some sort) but I'm being hindered and blocked by much larger more powerful beings of the same sensory persuasion.

I will sometimes dream entire stories, very long ones, in a short span of time (sometimes as short as a half hour period) in these dreams I may live upwards of a week, minute by minute as in our world. My only explanation for this massive difference in time is that I can process information faster than I need to in the real world, so in the dreams my mind just accelerates time to give itself more excersise. In these dreams I'm human, usually they are of places I have been around the world, but they have radically different architecture, stylization and even geopolitical systems. For example, the city of Chicago in one of these dreams was part of Canada, had a totally different skyline (totally original too nothing borrowed) and the transportation systems were totally different as well. Nothing was really idealized, just different.

Well that's probably enough for now, I've got a few other ones too I'll write later. If this is helpful to your research, or if I can provide any more specific information please U2U me and I'd be happy to help you out.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

[edit on 10/29/2004 by The Astral City]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i have always had rather strange and disturbing sleep patterns.

from age 16 through age =~23, i rarely remembered my dreams...but everyone else did. I was a very bad sleep-walker. I have woke up in wooded areas, and my front yard (in my briefs); woke up in other rooms, basement, porch; started vehicles in my sleep on four occasions; drove a vehicle on one occasion(at least)--based on foot-prints and tire tracks in fresh snow; have called, or sat, and spoke to people several times (without them realizing i was asleep). These are a few of my more-strange sleep walking experiences...there are others.

Since that time (Im 29) i have only two types of dreams that i remember. I have very lucid dreams, almost like a role-playing game. I come to points in my dreams that i can make decisions and see how they play out. If i do not like the outcome, i just rewind it and make a different decision. It's quite fun. It is important at this point to state that i sleep with my eyes open, and have since birth (very disturbing for others when i was a baby). I do not know if this counts as a dream, but at times i am very aware of things going on around me, but cannot wake up. I can see people moving, hear them talking, smell thinks...its like my mind is awake but my body is'nt. It is a very frightening sensation. I can only move my eyes easily; my arms and legs feel like they weigh a ton. Several times that I have had this experience, I will hurt myself when i do wake from falling in the floor, hitting a wall, or a headboard.

NOTE: never done drugs (before, after, or during these experiences), drink moderatly-occurances do not change with or without, no known mental illness.

[edit on 29-10-2004 by mo_trot]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
My biggest stretch of time without sleep was about 7 days. I recall feeling drunk or drugged but did neither. I had lapses of time (blackouts) where my friends would tell me things I did whereas I had no recollection of them. My motivator was fear which jumped my nerves and heart whenever I started to doze. I hear it's extremely unhealthy and would not recommend it.

Dreams - I recall some. I've detailed some dreams better than real life. I've had no control over them though attempted. I controlled my actions subconciously but the environment reacted accordingly. I've woken up sweating before, kicking, bruised, and/or jumping.

One time that I jumped up (someone came into the room for a practical joke) with my nose bleeding, punched a guy in the stomach then looked confused saying "what?" The dream I had was that I was being attacked but I don't actually recall doing any of it.

Hope this helps.

This helps tremendously ...Thanks so much for the information ... When you dream what perspective is it in ? 1st person , 3rd person ... Do you knwo everything about everyone ... or do you have to learn as you go .. I dream in 3rd person and I always know everything that is or will happen. Kinda nuts ... Next time you are dreaming try and control the dream think in your head this is a dream instead of getting your heart rate going fast slow your heart rate down ... concentrate .. you know how your legs feel and your whole body feels right before you get into a fight or if someone is in your face trying to get into a fight ? That is the same feeling that you have to learn how to control when you are in your dream b/c all this is doing is making you not in control ask any boxer ... If they are scared when they step into the ring ... And if they are they get not the F*** out ... You have to learn to control your emotions. In your dreams next time try to make somethign happen to you and realize that it can't. I am not sure if any of this is going to help you because when you dream it feels so much like reality. Mine feels liek reality too but there is always something about it I just knwo I am dreaming. Next time you dream really try and pinch yourself it will hurt but realize that is doesn't actually hurt you ... ... Thanks for the information ... It is alot more than anyoen else has given thanks .. again ..

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel
When people dont sleep they hallicunate because their brain is working at half of its capacity and more in certain areas than others. This is why you need sleep.... If you were aware of whats going on around you when you were sleeping..it wouldnt be sleep....thus you would never rest....you're mind and body need to rest.. I've controlled my dreams every once in awhile, its really fun.

What were you dreaming of when you controlled your dreams .... A very controlled dream ?? The dream was almost hypnotic ? That is how all my dreams are they are really soothing. Someone once said that we dream to relieve stress .... this may be the reason ... I do get some stress during the day although, not much.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndridCold
This by far is one of the most amazing threads I have ever read in my life. Immortal that was a great post and I like how you think. Lately I have also been questioning many things and for some reason I enjoy watching my other classmates talk and what they talk about just to see what they say/how they think. I think I am different from alot of other students at my school because it seems like I'm the only one that's sitting around wondering what the hell is going on and such. I also believe immortal when he says that it is the occult and they know more than us. Have you ever asked anyone else about anything paranormal? What was their response? Its almost like mass brainwashing saying that this idea is absurd or crazy. I tried explaining to many people at my school about lucid dreaming, astral projection, etc and they think you are crazy or lieing for attention. It's hard for them to accept things out of the ordinary because they were taught by parents/teachers that it's lies, imagination, etc. Sometimes when your talking to another person alone seriously they will have an open mind but once it reaches groups of people it's not to be taken seriously which made me wonder " Why do people choose to believe others just because the majority of everyone doesn't believe it?" And I think Immortal nailed it when he said "its just a movie syndrome." Movies are made so far out with paranormal that when a certain individual begins to question things out of the ordinary and they are told " its just a movie." I believe there is mass brainwash or something here because if you believe in these things or question them you are an outcast. I have had lucid dreams myself and I've tryed explaining it to my friends and they don't believe me even if I put the evidence right in front of their eyes. I've explained to my aunt and other older people and they will verify this is real now I dont know if they know this because of their age and has had expierence or it's just our generation of kids that are brainwashed and told different. I also believe I am here for a purpose and I don't know what it is but I believe that I have to find out on my own by questioning and reasoning things. As for my dreams, every dream I've had that is scary it becomes lucid and I tell myself "ok this is just a dream wake up" and sure enough I awaken in my bed. I don't if this is possible or if anyone believes it but sometimes if I need to be up at a certain time right before I fall asleep I look at the clock and note the time and tell myself that I will wake up at ex: 7:00. And sure enough while I move around half asleep half awake I suddenly remember "I have to be up at 7:00!" And I jump up look at the clock and its exactly 7:00. I find this very weird and I don't know how its possible my mind could keep track of time as I sleep. I have many questions a day that I ask myself most will never be answered in my lifetime but I choose to search for them anyways thinking for some odd reason I will find out but when I do it will be well worth it.

When you find out it will be well worth it ... but it will take time to figure out as I am in the same search and some will try and scare you and tell you to turn back stop thinking so much about life and just start living it .. And these might be the smartest words ever stated, but it doesn't matter to me I do not want to live wtihout knownig why and exactly what everything means.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fu Manchu
IMHO,
Sleep and waking states are two different ways we have of processing the unchewable bulk of reality we get served up at a constant rate.

FACT: cats sleep more than 12 hours a day [in several stretches] and when they are awake can be extremely focused and "rational" hunters. They can kill rodents and relate to humansm, and god knows what else pleases their blessed little souls. But what are they doing the majority of the time while they appear to be asleep?!

I have little understanding of folks who cannot remember their dreams, or who experience no sense of time while asleep. Other than when ill or under the influence of PRESCRIPTION drugs [!!!], I generally know about what time it is when I wake up, and I remember at least those of my dreams that have visual/spacial /verbal components that can be deciphered by the awake mind.

Some stray elements you might relate to:

I have had many dreams in several distinct locations --cities and surrounding areas, that have a substantially objective existence in my dream state --even years apart-- but which do not really resemble any localities experienced by me while awake.

I have also had recurring dreams over several years of locations that do exist in waking life, but they are radically changed in some aspect that may well be due to my subconscious emotional impressions of these cities or localities. In some cases they appear to be known cities as they will be in the future, but when rationally reviewed in the waking state, those "futures" do not seem very likely according to present trends. For example, the presence of white pyramids in the centre of cities as civic/governing/religious focal points.

Last, for now, there are times when I am in a position of teaching people in the dream world about the possibility of mental control of reality. I guess you might refer to this as a "lucid" type dream with a meta-twist. Are there really souls I am interacting with in a dreaming state, teaching them how to control their dreams??

As far as sleep deprivation, it is a fact that it will lead to psychic breakdown. The most I've gone is about 3 days without, and I was seriously escrued up in my emotions as well as my rationality. Experiments done with cats [again, cats!] show sleep deprivation as leading to functional insanity.

In summary, it seems to me we are functioning with different parts of our minds in sleep and while awake. Both seem to be necessary, and both seem to have a quality of objective reality and a quality of emotionally-coloured perception.

Hope this is useful/of interest to you.

This is very very intersting. Thanks for your post ... Did any of you guys have Nightmares when you were little ? Did any of you guys sleep walk when you were little? For some reason, I did both of these. Untilll the age of about 14 I would piss the bed ... and I am not sure if it was in my dreams or what b/c I would never remember them but a coupel times I remember I was swimming and I had to go pee real bad I was in water so I just started peeing I woke up about half way through my piss .... I was al wet jumped up outta bed I was so pissed at myself ... LoL how rhetorical that is ... anyways .... before that I never remembered any of my dreams so I am not for sure if they were controlled or what ? But I did sleep walk before that my parents woke we up a coupel times with me trying to get out of the house through a window yelling I am going to go feed the chickens ... We really did have chickens why I was going to go feed them I am not sure. My sister also dreams alot and screams at night in her sleep and will get up and walk around she has just turned 15 and I wonder if she is experiencing any of the stuff that I experienced ? I have not talked to her about any of this ... b/c she woudl probably freak out.. but anyways ... Does anyones siblings here have the same dreams ... This is my youngest sister I am refferring too. My older sister that is still younger than me ... never had any issues with sleeping or anything along these lines. ... OH YEAH .. and my sister just stopped wetting the bed about 2 years ago. The only reason I think that this is all related .. Wetting the bed dreaming and lucid dreams and stuff ... My doctor when I was little gave me a prescription do not piss the bed. he said don't drink after 6 P.M. I woudln't I would stil piss the bed. It was amazing ... he did not understand it ... he said they coudl go in and do surgery on me but other than that I wil just grow out of it ... He said he sees people liek this rearely but ... at least once a year. **NEW CASES

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
```

hey there bet555

maybe your getting your consciousness bashed-in by the 'western-science-dogmas'

a furious conflict with the 'dream time', super-conscious, 'etheric-worlds' that your spirit tells you exists...and pragmatic western science that calls it 'all hogwash'

go to Hinduism, eastern philosophy, see about MAYA & LEELA...

heres a start: www.sanatansociety.org...

enjoy your journey

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I am an insomniac. My most recent bout, which ended a couple of days ago, had finally lasted around 80 hours. This happens to me only about once a month now, but a couple of years ago, I would get about 4 hours of sleep at a time every 2 or 3 days.

To my knowledge, I have never had hallucinations caused by sleep deprivation, only a bad attitude, deep frustration, and some somewhat enlightening thoughts, which in most cases are forgotten. Some of them I have typed up and posted here for fun, posterity, and to burn time.

Also, I think that sleep deprivation leading to the ability to peek into other dimensions, or anything of that nature is rediculous. I feel the same for drug induced hallucinations.

Has anything peculiar ever happend in your sleep?
Examples:

You wake up sweating ... not because you are running a fever and you are sick.

You wake up maybe with bruising.

You remember vivid wierd dreams i.e. another "plane of existence" or maybe just where it was not so lucid and scary anything that might help.

A always wake up sweating, as I sleep very fitfully, and never well. I've never woken up with bruises. I have many vivid dreams, and a few lucid dreams. I had a lot of lucid dreams in my late teens and early twenties, but I slept well then. I dreamed once I was in a place that was familiar to me, but everything had a red hue to it. I was driving in my truck down dirt roads in a rural area, on the outskirts of the small town that I live in. As I was driving down these dirt roads, I noticed that there were cows floating in mid air, as if in zero gravity. I was driving very slowly, trying to avoid these floating cows, but one I could not avoid, and I ran into. That was the end of the dream.

Maybe the people that dream have stronger minds or memories.The thing or people that control this, erasing of your memory in your sleep have to use this method of dreaming on you guys/gals because your mind is strong. As we are evolving maybe they have to use other methods because we are gradually learning to use are "psyche", or whatever you wanna call it.

Everybody dreams. And everyone has a strong mind, in my opinion, but I would ask you to clarify what you mean by 'strong mind'. I believe the mind is like a muscle, in that if you let it stagnate, it will become weaker, but if you exercise it, it will become stronger.

Your memory is not erased during sleep. Long term memories are formed from short term ones during sleep, the most recent science suggests. This may or may not be true, but it seems to make sense. I believe that sleeping is a time when minds are allowed to process information and form decisions without distraction. This would follow logic, since when I became an insomniac, I haven't really been able to function normally, as prescribed by our current societal standards. Also, it seems that when I can't sleep, it is because I have decisions to make, change is occuring in my life, or sudden events have taken me by surprise. When I was worse, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking at all about any number of important or unimportant random things.

I have never seen into another universe, dimension, reality, or whatever euphemism you may choose to describe the unreal. My mind has never been taken, manipulated, reprocessed, reprogrammed, erased, or otherwise tampered with by any outside influence.

I think your theory is bunk.

[edit on 29-10-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fu Manchu
I think I did not really address a lot of your points bet555, and I'm not sure I could. But I'd like to suggest a few tools to assist in controlling --or maybe "understanding," or "contacting" would be better terms-- your dream life.

1] You are larger and deeper and older than you realize. Respectfully approach your "inner self" and ask permission for a closer co-ooperation.. Then do something positive to relax and please your physical & emotional self before bed. Take time to relax. Mentally going through an autohypnosis routine of relaxing every part of your body is good.
2] Breath slowly & deeply, imagining the breath entering and exiting through a gateway between and just above your eyebrows. Every ten breaths or so, repeat "deep sleep, peaceful sleep, pleasant dreams." I realize this is an over-simplistic formula, but "KISS" --the inner self of most people seems to like it.
3] Before you fall asleep, repeat a few times "I value my dream life enough to remember it."

This is a really brief version, but the point is that if you make specific steps to bridge the gap between waking and sleeping consciousness, all sorts of useful things will start to happen. Were we in geographical proximity, I would suggest you make an appointment for two or three hypnosis sessions geared toward giving you more dialog between your waking and dreaming selves. Perhaps a reputable hypnotist near you could design a routine for you if you explained some of your objectives in this area.

Fu Manchu, I do not think that you understand where I am coming from. I am wanting to know why are my dreams Lucid and not some other peoples. Why do some people go to sleep and wake up around the same time every day ... ??? and it is the same time every day on MY clock ... I changed the time on my clock yet I still wake up at the same time. So it isn't just habit something is looking at the clock and telling my body to get the heck up ... every morning ... What and why am I doing this does anyone know ?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
I am wanting to know why are my dreams Lucid and not some other peoples.

Every person in this world leads a unique life with their own unique experiences. Your life and experiences have led you down a path that taught you how to control your dreams. Read up on Lucid Dreaming. Your girlfriend could learn to have lucid dreams if she dedicated enough time to it. In fact anyone can learn to lucid dream if they have the motivation.

The majority of people who lucid dream regularly, learned to do so as a result of recurring nightmares. Those of us who don't have nightmares have to set up a trigger of some sort to alert us that we are dreaming. I remember the first time I had a lucid dream. I dreamt I was in school taking a test. I looked down at the test and didn't know a single answer! This really freaked me out because I always make sure to know my stuff. So I'm sitting there wondering how the hell I could let this happen to me, when it finally dons on me that I'm dreaming. Luckily after that point I was able to stay in the dream state and I had a bit o'fun.

So if your girlfriend thinks your crazy get her to read up on lucid dreaming. Then soon, you could both be crazy!

As far as dreams being a window into other dimensions I would have to say, no. I believe some dreams can be inspirational/prophetic visions (there was a book named "Futility" written in 1898 that was about a massive ship named Titan that describes the sinking of the titanic. The author said he received the vision in a dream if I remember correctly and this dream happened 14 years before the sinking of the titanic), but most dreams I believe are just random noise.

I've stayed up for long periods of time before and while I did start to hallucinate there was no sense behind any of the visions. It was like being drunk. One thing I think might be happening is that your vision may start being tainted by the creativity of your subconscious/conscious mind. I remember I was watching tv after staying up for like 3 days one time and one of the actors on the tv actually started talking directly to me. It was kinda freaky.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
Hmmm...this topic reminds me of the book Insomnia by Stephen King...

The main character suffered from insomnia and started hallucinating from lack of sleep. Soon he discovers that these images and illusions he is seeing are real, and are in fact glimpses in other dimensions.

Even though the book is fiction I think you would find it interesting and worth reading if you haven't read it already.

Oh, is that what it was about? I saw it in the theatre with my ex-girlfriend, was too slow and boring, so we decided to do something else....

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I remember dreaming as early as 5 years old. I tend to have dreams that will continue on 3-4 nights (sometimes weeks in between portions)
They were almost exclusively nightmares or were simply scenes of things that would happen in my future. I would be sitting in school one day a few weeks later and everything, from people sneezing to the same lesson plans, sentances and somebody tripping on a bag, would all have been in my dream.

By the time I got into high school, I would wake up with bruises and burnmarks when they were part of the dreams. (I am thankful this stopped)

When I was 15, I started trying to astrally project- I read about picturing your consciousness as in a small ball over your head (in a chakra) since which time I have pictured that this is where I truly am.

I see our brain as the physical counterpart for our consciousness- it's not where it really is. This could explain why sometimes you sort of just disappear for a bit and don't take in the physical stimuli (like your falling asleep without knowing it)
A lot of dreaming seems to be about learning, and a higher self trying to teach us what we are too hard-headed to see while being distracted with the world during waking hours. It seems to me that the 3rd person dreaming could be a way of trying to tell us that we are not the body, we are just in the body.
I think sometimes we are purposely led to something we need to see or need to experience. I've been having lucid dreams very much since astral travel as well.

I am not so sure about the idea of being different entities coming in... An interesting thought, and I could see things that would make me want to agree, but I have always concluded I was the only one sent into my body, it belonged to me but I simply don't remember who I really am while I am occupying. I don't see all of my past, but those memories and experiences make me that much stronger while I am trying to teach myself to remember.

Waking is sort of like being kept in a dreaming state... like one of those dreams where you can't wake up, or where you want to talk and no sound comes out.
Just most of us who are here have no idea what we are aspiring to wake up to.

For now though, I think dreams are when we sort of pull out of the body for a bit, let it rest and help ourselves learn.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dusran
The majority of people who lucid dream regularly, learned to do so as a result of recurring nightmares.

That's not how I learned to lucid dream. I lucid dreamed by getting better quality sleep.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel
When people dont sleep they hallicunate because their brain is working at half of its capacity and more in certain areas than others. This is why you need sleep.... If you were aware of whats going on around you when you were sleeping..it wouldnt be sleep....thus you would never rest....you're mind and body need to rest.. I've controlled my dreams every once in awhile, its really fun.

What were you dreaming of when you controlled your dreams .... A very controlled dream ?? The dream was almost hypnotic ? That is how all my dreams are they are really soothing. Someone once said that we dream to relieve stress .... this may be the reason ... I do get some stress during the day although, not much.

Well, I havent had a lucid dream in awhile. I remember one awhile ago, I think I was in the city, talking with people, seeing old friends. Up to this point, I was just merely watching the dream, and then I remember moving on my own accord, and I remember thinking "whoa, im controlling my dream!", it was the weirdest thing ever. I then started to fly around the city. Nothingi too spectacular like yours. Most of the time my dreams are abstract nonsense, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I've heard it said that your dreams are actually an attempt by your subconscious to try and rationalize the events that you encountered while conscious. In other words, you brain is trying to process the day's events and find how to relate these concepts to previous experiences and then how to store that information.

Have you ever had a dream about a problem that you were dealing with consciously and then have the answer come to you in a dream? I have had it happen many times.

I remember about 75% of my dreams. I could probably remember all of them but I don't practice lucid dreaming, nor do I journal. I dream in color and have been aware many times that I was dreaming. Typically, when I am in danger I realize that it is a dream. It is difficult for me to stay on one topic though.

My dreams do take on a sexual theme a lot of time. However, I typically am not having sex. It's more about the prelude to sex. Wierd, huh? Anyone else have these?

I have had dreams where I wrote music, invented amazing devices, saw myself as a leader over many people and it seemed so real. I have had dreams where I fell from a great height and, yes, hit the ground. I have not been killed in my dreams though.

The 'X Files' had an episode where a group of Vietnam soldiers had part of their brains manipulated so that they did not go to sleep, but I can't remember the details of that episode. There are physiological processes that are activated with sleep. The body does repair itself and that is when cell and tissue regeneration is highest. Other body functions slow to a crawl. Plus, the fact our brainwaves alter is one of the most interesting fundamentals of sleep.

The times where I have been deprived of sleep, I remember feeling very shakey. It was almost like having way too much caffeine. My eyes felt like they were burning and I got hot flashes. When I looked at something, it felt like it was vibrating and I couldn't focus on that object.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Fu Manchu, I do not think that you understand where I am coming from. I am wanting to know why are my dreams Lucid and not some other peoples. Why do some people go to sleep and wake up around the same time every day ... ??? and it is the same time every day on MY clock ... I changed the time on my clock yet I still wake up at the same time. So it isn't just habit something is looking at the clock and telling my body to get the heck up ... every morning ... What and why am I doing this does anyone know ?

Well, I think you are right about my not understanding. What difference does it make to you if some people's dreams are not lucid?

My second post was to encourage you to use your dreaming ability to find out some of the answers for yourself. You seem to be asking a lot of important questions about your consciousness. That's something very many people never do. I think if you train yourself to do it, you can get your dreaming self to answer more questions than anyone else ever could.

As far as the time thing, waking up &c: The subconscious mind has the ability to keep near-perfect time. After all, it regulates your heartbeat. Nearly anyone can train himself to wake up at a preset time. It's a lot easier, of course if it's the same time every morning.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mo_trot
i have always had rather strange and disturbing sleep patterns.

from age 16 through age =~23, i rarely remembered my dreams...but everyone else did. I was a very bad sleep-walker. I have woke up in wooded areas, and my front yard (in my briefs); woke up in other rooms, basement, porch; started vehicles in my sleep on four occasions; drove a vehicle on one occasion(at least)--based on foot-prints and tire tracks in fresh snow; have called, or sat, and spoke to people several times (without them realizing i was asleep). These are a few of my more-strange sleep walking experiences...there are others.

Since that time (Im 29) i have only two types of dreams that i remember. I have very lucid dreams, almost like a role-playing game. I come to points in my dreams that i can make decisions and see how they play out. If i do not like the outcome, i just rewind it and make a different decision. It's quite fun. It is important at this point to state that i sleep with my eyes open, and have since birth (very disturbing for others when i was a baby). I do not know if this counts as a dream, but at times i am very aware of things going on around me, but cannot wake up. I can see people moving, hear them talking, smell thinks...its like my mind is awake but my body is'nt. It is a very frightening sensation. I can only move my eyes easily; my arms and legs feel like they weigh a ton. Several times that I have had this experience, I will hurt myself when i do wake from falling in the floor, hitting a wall, or a headboard.

NOTE: never done drugs (before, after, or during these experiences), drink moderatly-occurances do not change with or without, no known mental illness.

[edit on 29-10-2004 by mo_trot]

Now this is interesting. I have never done any of those although my sister randomly screams in her sleep loud for minutes at a time untill someone will come wake her up. We have not waken her up once and she started crying after about 15 minutes of screaming and then we couldn't wake her up for about 15 more minutes then the next morning she didn't remember anythign after we started joking with her around the table she did not even realize she ever yelled was ever up the night before or anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Notice how Bet555 skips all the intelligent and rational responses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join