It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance is wise...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes, and EraiNaGia is the perfect example of that bias happening. Because the word "Ignorance" was used in a positive sense, immediately the emotions/biases kicked in before understanding my definitions of "ignorance" , "wisdom" as used in The Original Post. He automatically assumed what I was talking about. Or at least, this is what it looks like happened, from my eyes, but I could be wrong, nothing is certain.

Let me paraphrase again for others who may now be reading this thread.

The "ignorance" talked about here, is the "not knowing" not the denying of reality that is appearing before you. Memorizing statistics and what appears to be "facts" is "knowledge". The "wisdom" I am talking about is being able to understand that nothing is certain to not fall into assumptions and allow new experiences (present - knowledge - not memorized facts that may change with time and become untrue).

To understand that I don't know everything - or that I can not be 100% certain of the things I know, is wisdom.

So in THIS sense - YES! Ignorance is indeed Wisdom.

By the way, I am a male.

Are males more ignorant that females? or other way round?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I heard that females are better at somethings than men, but I also heard that men are better at some things than females, and even that is not with 100% certainty. Maybe it is balanced between strengths and weaknesses between the genders - or maybe not. I don't know.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Are males more ignorant that females? or other way round?

I doubt one is really more ignorant than the other. Although I suspect that a larger percentage of women than men are quick to acknowledge their ignorance.

Might be nurture, might be nature- might be linked to the fact that very early on, we learn the facts of a female being a recepticle for life, that girls grow with a more clear appreciation of reception, of an inner void, which can be creative.

I notice that for more females, a growth in spiritual awareness often means discoveries on the nature of self as individual (being more egotistical, closing boundries, stability, asserting action into an objective world),
whereas men will have all these insights into discovering the negative to be acceptable, seeing beyond separation and duality, letting go of control,fluidity, embracing subjectivity and introspection...)

I would never have assumed arpgme to be female- his posts are all too male in tone!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

So in THIS sense - YES! Ignorance is indeed Wisdom.

You people, you just keep trying...

Define Wisdom.... just do it.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

You people, you just keep trying...

Define Wisdom.... just do it.

Okay.... If my earlier post wasn't clear enough, I'll try another way (I hope you are going to reveal your reasoning soon tho... )

From Wikipedia

Wisdom is the judicious application of knowledge. It is a deep understanding and realization of people, things, events or situations, resulting in the ability to apply perceptions, judgments and actions in keeping with this understanding.

Dictionary.com

wis·dom [wiz-duh m] dictionary.reference.com... IPA noun
1. the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
2. scholarly knowledge or learning: the wisdom of the schools.
3. wise sayings or teachings; precepts.
4. a wise act or saying

Merriam-Webster

1 a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge
b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
c : good sense : judgment
d : generally accepted belief
2: a wise attitude, belief, or course of action

To have no ignorance is to be omniscient (let me know if you need the definition).

I suspect that no human on earth is omniscient.
Therefore, under that
to believe you have no ignorance would be false.

To acknowledge and recognize that you are ignorant, fits into all of the above definitions, no?

I will not claim this line of reasoning to universally true, I cannot know that.
But I can claim it to be MY perspective and opinion at this time, and that it has it's own logical structure, and that it is a philosophy that is possible to live on a daily basis in normal life.

(as a benefit, it has the effect upon me of opening my mind to recieving and gathering more knowledge, whereas the belief in my omniscience tends to close further learning for me)

Can you share where your perspective splits? I am just curious!
edit on 26-1-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
In my opinion, you are confusing ignorance with being. If you were ignorant, you would have not have come to the conclusion that you know nothing, which in itself is quite something. If we have finally come to this rather taoist conclusion that there is only the "way", that life is not a journey but simply an experience and that we seekers sought to know the journey in it's entirety but have at the point of final realization come to the absurd conclusion that the beginning and end are the same and that there was no journey. Consciousness creates reality, as you read this, your conscious attention to it makes it manifest into particle form and without your attention to it it is but a wave of potential. The Ignorant willingly submerge themselves into the journey, the play, the program that they along with default consciousness have created. How would one be wise by deluding oneself with illusion? The Sage would have come to the conclusion after much blood, sweat and tears that there is nothing to learn, there is no great cosmic secret, there is no enlightenment, no nirvana there just is the Tao, the path, the Way, experience....beingness. But as usual, the absurd twist is that without all of the blood, sweat, tears and eons of meditation, contemplation and searching, one would have never have come to the conclusion that this all was not necessary at all. Live one day at a time. Rid yourself of the fear of death, it is a mechanism of control.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Okay....

Now define Ignorance.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that ignorance must be understood in the sense of 'knowledge is limited' it is.
So don't say 'i know' because that would be ignorance from your part, not knowing your limitations.
It is good to know that we can't know everything, and maybe that which we think we know is just false.
To realise that we really dont know is a beautiful beginning to really be able to learn, not by being indoctrinated, but to find out, to enquire, to observe.

To be able to say, 'i don't know' therefore is wise, but just a beginning, nothing else.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

Now define Ignorance.

You don't really have any logical structure or reasoning to share do you?
This is getting tedious.
I won't bother copying many different definitions, as it is beginning to look like you are just trolling, not having a serious discussion at all.

It means lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

No human on earth is omniscient, in my view. No human knows all and everything. All humans have a lack of knowledge, education, awareness of some things. The actual proportion of "unknown" cannot even be determined because humankind as a whole is still learning.

Wisdom (as opposed to education) has the added suggestion of "insight' and knowledge of self or human nature- so it is wise to be aware of and recognize this ignorance humans all have.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I just read your OP, what a strange way to begin this thread.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join