Ignorance is wise...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I can think about the future, thinking "this" will lead to "that", but how can I possibly know that? It's possible that it may not be that way, things could change, unforeseen circumstances could arise, but because I believe I "know", I will cause myself to suffer believing in false expectations.

Deny ignorance?

It is better to Accept it because whether or not it is "denied" it will still be there.

If you believe you are ignorant, then you are wise because you are understanding your limits.
If you believe yourself to be wise, then you are ignorant because you do not see your limitations.

One who understands that they know nothing, is more wise than one who thinks they know everything.

Ignorance is bliss because it frees you from illusions (false knowledge), opinions (biases/judgments), and assumptions.

To make assumptions, form opinions (judgments, biases - especially to a whole group) is to pretend to know something that one could not know for sure.

"Maybe",
"It's possible",
"I don't know for sure",
"How could I know that?",

These four phrases seem to be very powerful.

edit on 22-1-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The truth of what we really know is real and what is assumed can only be questioned in the face of death. For many people this will be just near moment of death itself in old age where they will ask themselve what did i know for sure. The only answers can be life was a joy, or life was tough, i love this person i love that person,...beyond that level everything will have to be acknowledged to be a mystery and imagine finding that out at the moment of passing, its something that should be known from young adulthood.

Ignorance is only wise when used in context of a shield so that the truth doesnt flow into a persons consciousness to fast and fry their Karma.
edit on 22-1-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Wisdom is when the only thing you know for sure is nothing...
Which basically turns all of existence into one giant experiment...which explains all the unintended consequences behind all actions...

Arrogance is the denial of ignorance...lol
If you refuse to acknowledge that you are ignorant to all things you are in denial of your own ignorance and thus arrogant.

but of course I don't know if there is any truth to anything I just said...and that is the wise position to take.

edit on 22-1-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Of course since we are capable of being ignorant then mabey its natural to be ignorant. I guess if i believe that then i may as well believe hedonism is natural and normal and wise.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Ignorance is not knowing - understanding,
The wise seek experience, information, truth,
And become learned in the things they seek to know.
But the wise realize,
No one person can know everything,
They must bow - to simple acceptance - of not knowing.

Cirque

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

But we are creatures of curiosity and desires we are compelled to want to know, to experience new ideas, feelings, experiences. Are you not this creature as well?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Ignorance is simply a lack of understanding due to a lack of knowledge,
being able to admit when you are ignorant of a certain topic is very
important, the only type of ignorance i cannot stand is willful, if you
provide evidence and facts yet people still wish to argue with wishes
and whims instead, it gets frustrating because they simply cannot
fathom why you would need facts, even though its brutally
obvious that if you do things that way anything can be said to be real
or true.

A good example of this would be the flat earth idea and
all of the ignorance that had to change for us to really understand
that aspect of our solar system, there were those who actually
fought to remain ignorant, that scares me lol.

Those who would have us embrace ignorance and use it as a shield
against knowledge simply because they want to believe they are right,
i often wonder how much of that is rooted in ego, to me its always
been about curiosity, i want to know and im not happy with just because
they said so lol i wanna know why!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

But we are creatures of curiosity and desires we are compelled to want to know, to experience new ideas, feelings, experiences. Are you not this creature as well?

Yes.

Eat, breathe, poop... Just like everyone else!

I was just contributing to the thread reflectively. Sometimes the poet in me can't resist responding to a beautifully written opening thread, in such a way.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Wisdom (i.e. Truth) and knowledge are two very different things.

You can't jump to conclusions based on your limits alone.

That would be trusting too much in knowledge, even if it is limited knowledge.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

We can't know that for sure. There are some who are naturally simple, and they seem to laugh/smile a lot more often, while the more complex ones have more stress... It may not always be this way, but in some cases it is.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Although wisdom does make you stupid.... because you stop questioning everything all the time.

Look at where knowledge has taken us. We're slaves to a damn piece of paper with creepy symbols all over it.

I almost think that the more knowledge we acquire, the more afraid of our own shadows we become.

What spurs this impatience to know, anyway?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

"The Devil is in the details"

Muhuhuhahahahahahahahah!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It is better to Accept it because whether or not it is "denied" it will still be there.

If you believe you are ignorant, then you are wise because you are understanding your limits.
If you believe yourself to be wise, then you are ignorant because you do not see your limitations.

One who understands that they know nothing, is more wise than one who thinks they know everything.

If you know nothing, how do you know ignorance is wise? How can someone who claims to be ignorant, know that they are ignorant, when in fact they know nothing? How can someone who knows nothing know their limitations? wouldn't that be knowing something?

One who understands that they know nothing, paradoxically knows that they can know nothing. It's the biggest contradiction.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This sounds more like an argument over definitions than an actual philosophical debate.
Language can have multiple meanings which can be twisted and turned to the author's liking and intent. But I understand the OP's intent and he is quite right and wrong at the same time depending on the interpretations of the meaning. It's like an endless cycle lol

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

We can't know that for sure. There are some who are naturally simple, and they seem to laugh/smile a lot more often, while the more complex ones have more stress... It may not always be this way, but in some cases it is.

I'd rather experience stress, come out the other side and be wiser for it, than live life as a happy simpleton. How we react to stressful situations is part of what makes us the person we are. Living a life of stress-avoidance or being immune to it because you aren't smart enough to be aware of the implications of your circumstances, is no kind of lifestyle I'd want to be subjected to.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Some people have more stresses in life, for example like stressful job compared to person who doesnt need to work etc. Imagine being born in China and force to work 16 hour days making Ipads. Some people have more please some more pain and the system whoch puts themin their catagory doesnt seem very natural to me.
edit on 22-1-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I didn't say working in a factory for 16 hours is natural. I just said some people are naturally simple and they seem to smile and laugh a lot more often (some of them).

Concerning "more" or "less" pleasurable, we can't know that for sure. It could be that the person isn't working but they have no social life and feel completely bored and pointless with their life. There could be many factors that we are unaware of.

Even if we take the simple concept of "work" being "less pleasurable" than "not working" , we still do not know because some can be in a factory working hours and be happy with their life while another in the same position could be feeling depressed and tired.

To put it simply, we do not know for sure...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I agree with the basic sentiment of your post, but disagree with your choice of words. Ignorance connotes a willful choice to not know something that is plainly evident, or to 'ignore' its reality. To admit that one doesn't know everything, or can't really know anything with 100% certainty shows maturity and wisdom. To choose to not know something for fear of the implications is ignorance, and is the height of folly.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by No_man4

I'm talking about "ignorance" - a state of being uninformed. I'm not talking about "willful delusion" - ignoring things and not taking things into consideration. I chose this word because it is a so-called "Loaded" word with many different emotions and beliefs surrounding it. Interesting how this "word" is considered a "bad choice" to some. I am just using the word as in its definition - not with any emotional attachment.

We make so many assumptions about life "this is good" , "this is bad", when we do not know how this so-called "good" or "bad" will really affect the future. We make assumptions like "this should not have happened" when it obviously did and there is no changing it.

Ignorance is Love. Without so-called "Knowledge" (judgment) , we can just watch in awe of what unfolds. We allow people to be themselves without putting our own prejudices on them when it may not even be who they are presently..

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Like I said, I get your meaning and agree with it. True, the sense in which you used the word is correct and in line with the definition, but language is a living thing that changes daily. Often, the defined meaning of a word falls out of usage long before it changes officially.

For example the word "cock" is defined as "a male chicken" but if I asked someone to hold my cock for me while I go to the bathroom, most people would take exception to my usage even if I had a rooster under my arm at the time.

Personally, I think the point of communicating is to relay information between individuals as clearly and accurately as possible, and choosing to use loaded words works contrary to that goal, unnecessarily increasing the chances of being misunderstood. Granted, maybe you have some other goal in communicating other than being understood clearly but I have no idea what that would be or why anyone would want that, which is why I say I agree with your meaning but not your words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join