It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coin Identification

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I’ve been clearing out some old boxes and came across some old coins that I found many years ago. I’m hoping there might be someone on ATS who can identify the two shown below.
The larger one appears to have the word Penny, though that’s just a guess because I can see the letters NN next to each other.
If it is a penny then it must be quite old, I’m in my late 50’s and I don’t remember ever seeing a coin like this in circulation.
Its very thick and the edge is grooved as can be seen in the picture.
Unfortunately it’s very worn and the area that would show the date is now smooth.
It looks like it has the name George on it.

The second coin looks Chinese and has a rather nice dragon on one side. I know absolutely nothing about it so I’m hoping we have some Chinese ATS members who might be able to tell us something about it. I don’t know if its very old but it is worn in places.

For scale.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
First one is,an old penny, I'm in my late 50s and recognised it right away....

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Hi scotsdavy1.
Its not the old pennys we used to have, its MUCH bigger and thicker, look at the edge of it, its grooved. This thing would make three of the pennies we had before it all went decimal.

This is what the penny looked like when I was a kid, the coin above is bigger and at least three times heavier.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Hi scotsdavy1.
Its not the old pennys we used to have, its MUCH bigger and thicker, look at the edge of it, its grooved. This thing would make three of the pennies we had before it all went decimal.

This is what the penny looked like when I was a kid, the coin above is bigger and at least three times heavier.

Is it not the half crown one, the old 2/6p? That was heavier and thicker than the old penny....

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Take it to a coin dealer and get it appraised. You may have just hit the jackpot, my friend. Like finding gold. Only it's not as big as that other nugget so I don't think it will be worth a half million dollars.
Good Luck.
edit on 21-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Hi scotsdavy1.

Is it not the half crown one, the old 2/6p? That was heavier and thicker than the old penny....

Not the half crown. One of those would be 12.5 pence now
I remember filling a motorcycle tank with petrol with one of those, and they gave me a tiger tail too

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Take it to a coin dealer and get it appraised. You may have just hit the jackpot, my friend. Like finding gold. Only it's not as big as that other nugget so I don't think it will be worth a half million dollars.
Good Luck.

If it wasn't so worn down I would've done that, but I've always been led to believe that worn coins are worthless, maybe I ought to take it to a dealer, hmm. If you hear a very loud WOOHOOO over the next few days it'll probably be me, but knowing my luck all you'll hear is ..llox.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The English one looks like it has George the third on it to me so that would be mid 1700's / early 1800's, and Britannia (which would account for the double N)

Looks like a penny to me, although you could check out the pictures here

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Think your right. This looks like the dude.

Pic Source

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I live in the US and have never really handled any old money from the UK, but looking it up, I think I found something. Below is the source:
SOURCE

It would seem that this is a penny depicting George V from either 1912, 1918, or 1919. They called it a Heaton Mint, but I do not know if that is accurate. Hopefully that helped some. I will see if I can find anything on the others as well.

Edit to add: I think I messed up, lol. I got too jumpy and assumed. I should have realized that what you have and what I linked were made from two different metals. I know that your coin is within the page I linked as a source, if you care to dig through it. There are no pics on that page, but there are pics once you click through the different types.
edit on 1/21/13 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
hey this is a good idea i dont know why i never thought to try asking ats for help identifying this mystery coin i possess,

ive been holding onto it for years always wondering if it realy had any value

this first coin is the one that interests me the most, found it laying on the ground inside a unamed financial building

clearly it is very very worn down and old, sorry it is so badly damaged this is just how i found it, i hope it can still be identified

this second coin interests me but not as much it seems much more modern

heres the two next to a quarter for reference

any help would be greatly appreciated, i took the first one to a coin dealer once but he was rude and refused to help me, i assume because of how badly damaged the coin is, (i didnt do it) left a bad taste in my mouth so i havent tried going to a second coin dealer ever since

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Wow! those first 2 look very old, do you think they could be made of gold?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The first coin is Roman judging by the SC on the back

“S.C.” or “Senatus Consulto” meaning “by decree of the Senate”,

Here is something similar

link

edit to add
The other is a Japanese 10 Yen coin

edit on 22/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Good Luck.

If it wasn't so worn down I would've done that, but I've always been led to believe that worn coins are worthless, maybe I ought to take it to a dealer, hmm. If you hear a very loud WOOHOOO over the next few days it'll probably be me, but knowing my luck all you'll hear is ..llox.

The value of the coin does depend on how worn it is, but not always if its very rare. It goes by desirability. Do coin collectors desire it? How many were in circulation. The date it was issued. Is the date still showing and not worn off.

If there were a lot in circulation then the value goes down.

If a mistake was made in minting like the three legged buffalo on the Indian head nickel or the markings which are usually two letters might be a mistake. I think these letters denote where it was minted. This can be worth more.

There's lots of things to consider for value.

Then there is the intrinsic value of the metal used.

Its best to keep them wrapped in plastic, especially silver because oxygen tarnishes. You shouldn't try to clean it, it damages the relief and handling the sides will wear it down. I forget all the right words to use for coins. I used to collect them. I still have them but as I said I don't know where they are. I had books about coins and that taught me a lot. The books are wherever the coins are. I have some in mint condition. Mint of course is worth more, never been handled or exposed to air.

I have a large penny that looks similar but I can't find it to compare. No idea where I put it now. It had Queen Victoria head on it.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

The first coin is Roman judging by the SC on the back

“S.C.” or “Senatus Consulto” meaning “by decree of the Senate”,

Here is something similar

link

edit to add
The other is a Japanese 10 Yen coin

edit on 22/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

sweeet so i got a coin from roman times?
it does appear to be made of gold, im not 100% on that but i was able to make a tiny dent in it with my tooth (isnt that how they could tell in the old days?)

wonder if it has any value

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Did you ever find out what the coins were?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I can't find your exact coin on the net. Maybe worth getting it tested for gold content

edit on 29/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Yes thanks to davespanners (above). Its a penny, used to be known as a Cartwheel because of the thickness. Its about 200 years old.
Gave it to my grandson, if he keeps it long enough maybe it'll reach 300 before its lost again

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Yes thanks to davespanners (above). Its a penny, used to be known as a Cartwheel because of the thickness. Its about 200 years old.
Gave it to my grandson, if he keeps it long enough maybe it'll reach 300 before its lost again

Told you it was a penny, just got about 200 years out lol
Glad you found out what it was in the end. Bit like a detective story there 👍

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Told you it was a penny, just got about 200 years out lol
Glad you found out what it was in the end. Bit like a detective story there 👍

Yep, you did say it was a penny

Its the thickness that intrigued me, its very large and heavy. If you had six of them in your pocket you'd think you got a scrap yard in there

I wanted info on it cos in its day it must have had real value, probably a night down the boozer or two?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join