It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to taking pride in the way you speak and write!?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
AHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'm so tired of people using the wrong words and getting mad at ME because I answer the way it's worded. I'm not psychic. How the heck do I know you meant something else?!?! It's not my fault you suck at grammar or spelling. Why should I dumb myself down because you can't get a simple phrase or word right. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? Now people get all butt hurt if you correct them like it's the end of the world.

Also what happened to communication in this country?! Why do people love to be cryptic and then when you call them on what they said as not being what they meant they get pissy?! Why should I have to decipher your words when you clearly can't use them properly.

Have people become that lazy?! YES!

I get so tired of people telling me to "get over it" and "ease up" or "it's not a big deal" when it comes to me correcting their grammar or spelling. Well YES it IS a big deal! If you write a paper for your job and it's incorrect is that ok? Why am I suppose to just look over the lack of effort put into something that a grown friggin adult should have grasped by now?!

I am not perfect and I make mistakes but my goodness some people are repeat offenders and just don't care and say they don't care. Well maybe you should! Is it pride? Is it the fact someone corrected you? I mean what gives?!?!

There was a time when being educated was a privilege but now pretty much everyone goes to school. How can you take something like that for granted that so many in the past would have benefited from and embraced it. To have basic reading and writing skills at one time was looked at as superior yet now people are lazy about it and think it's too much work to use words properly.

Getting an education even if it is only thru high school still teaches you some valuable life lessons. Why not use that in life instead of being stubborn because someone corrected your sentence. It isn't meant to be an insult yet soooo many take it as that.

Ok sorry for the rant but the last few days a few people have really pissed me off with this.
edit on 1/21/2013 by mblahnikluver because: Fix title

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't know.......I write much better than I speak.

Now I must admit, the one thing that does urk me, is when some one says "Can I ax you a question?"

Other than that, my own issue is that I am dropping the F bomb a whole lot more since I discovered and watched all 7 seasons of the Trailer Park Boys........

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Most of the time, with most of the people who "don't care" about their grammar & spelling... it's just the tip of the mountain of how they think & feel overall.

Their egos are so deflated by all the bombardment from pop culture telling everyone how ugly and useless we all are, they then can't handle ANY constructive criticisms or helpful advice, they take it as an attack on them personally.

I personally take pride in my grammar and spelling, because that's my language and if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

pffft! Nobody likes a smug smart arse.

Pay more attention to the information rather than how it's said. If you don't understand it, ask. If you do understand it, what's the problem? Be quietly content at feeling superior, not a smart arse who needs to let everyone know.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
lol col rofl roflmao omg bb gg ty wtf ftw gft

well. I agree with u. People are dumbed down to coolness of their brain skills.
That has taken to progress in my country too. Everybody are cool and full of slan, shortcuts, nonsayed words, and they always thinked something else. Speaking is art. Words are art.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I don't know.......I write much better than I speak.

Yea this is meant for speaking and writing. I had some really hard English teachers in school who basically beat good grammar into my brain!

Now I must admit, the one thing that does urk me, is when some one says "Can I ax you a question?"

Oh my goodness! When someone says that to me I go insane. I had to do some phone interview for some government agency and the girl said that to me. I said no you can ASK me a question! She got all pissy with me.

Other than that, my own issue is that I am dropping the F bomb a whole lot more since I discovered and watched all 7 seasons of the Trailer Park Boys........

HAHAHA!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Pay more attention to the information rather than how it's said. If you don't understand it, ask. If you do understand it, what's the problem? Be quietly content at feeling superior, not a smart arse who needs to let everyone know.

typical statement of degradation.
Usually that say a people who does not have vocabulary.
Idiocracy.

Interesting is that smug smart arse or whatever
is usually a your boss. Nerds are nerds or better to say a regular people. Smartazzez as u say, are scientist and basicly keep you alive, and our whole system.
edit on 21-1-2013 by wwwchronos because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Most of the time, with most of the people who "don't care" about their grammar & spelling... it's just the tip of the mountain of how they think & feel overall.

Their egos are so deflated by all the bombardment from pop culture telling everyone how ugly and useless we all are, they then can't handle ANY constructive criticisms or helpful advice, they take it as an attack on them personally.

I personally take pride in my grammar and spelling, because that's my language and if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Agreed!!

I was always taught constructive criticism was a good thing yet now people get so offended over it.

link   

If you write a paper for your job and it's incorrect is that ok?

This aint mah job and I aint writin no paper

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Um why should I have to DUMB MYSELF DOWN! I will not do that.

If you are a grown adult and you can't speak or write something properly and I correct you because I don't understand you then how is that MY fault. Why should I feel bad? I will not feel bad because I can use proper grammar and spelling the way I was taught.

Nobody likes a dumb arse either.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

No. Everyone loves a smart arse. I'd be far more inclined to just switch off than to wade through the ugly mess that some people put forward as language.

Spelling isn't tough. Nearly everything you spell into will even fix it for you. You have to willfully spell things incorrectly. Grammar is trickier, but not insurmountable... Besides, if it's even in the neighbourhood of correct, that's typically at least understandable. Always remember that punctuation is there for a reason, and we'll get along just fine.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

This is an example of that bruised ego kind of response.

I didn't take the OP as "feeling superior" or that they were being "smug"... those are the words that came to you after reading the OP from your bruised ego, you somehow took it personally. Nothing about the OP was a personal attack, just personal opinion/rant.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

even if it is only thru high school

just kidding, i agree. i dont care aslong a people make an effort.
i spell badly all the time, but i try not to.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Ahhahahaha..

Hey Mblah, you can actually read and write, therefore you should feel smug and superior.

*joy*

I remember not so long ago, people were protesting in the streets that education should be free for all.

Why? So they can throw it away and say "You deal with it, Imma spell words how I lyk." and thumb a txt msg to their buds.

I had a teenager tell me once that he hated using a spelling checker. Because it always gave him the wrong word with the right spelling.

There are a few good kids left. Who pride themselves in being able to actually write. They have a long long road ahead of them with the world of tomorrow..morrow..orrow...row..ow..w. *fades to black*

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Oh, and around words being art... I agree only to a limit. Calling it an art does not excuse you from knowing how to use grammar correctly. You need to know -- or better yet, understand -- the rules befores you can go around breaking them, all nimbly-pimbly. That makes the difference between art and just... bad grammar.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

If you write a paper for your job and it's incorrect is that ok?

This aint mah job and I aint writin no paper

Delivering them, then?

/jk

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet
Oh, and around words being art... I agree only to a limit. Calling it an art does not excuse you from knowing how to use grammar correctly. You need to know -- or better yet, understand -- the rules befores you can go around breaking them, all nimbly-pimbly. That makes the difference between art and just... bad grammar.

i sthat woot i say. Exactly what i wanted to say what i thinked.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I see what you are saying. I have always been good at English, but am not got at all with spelling and frequently misspell words by mistake as I have some sort of dyslexia that was never properly diagnosed, but in this day and age it's easy to do a simple spell check so it's not hard to write something properly. It depends on the situation though. Because of text speak a lot of people don't write properly when sending emails at work or to friends etc and while I do find this kind of annoying, I also don't like my friends writing to me in an overly formal way, I'd rather they typed similar to how they speak which also means changing some spelling around and then I can hear their voice better and get a lot more of the humour as well as here in the UK we use different uses of language and how we ay words to make jokes all the time.

I work on a building site and how I talk to my colleagues is totally different to how I would speak in a job interview or type on here. Not that I am ashamed of who I am, it's just people will take you more seriously that way and it kinda pisses me off when people are over the top about it if you don't pronounce words correctly because of your accent etc because I think accents are very important to our identity when it comes to who we are and where we're from. I love being abroad and hearing a Londoners accent or the accent of someone from a a part of the UK that I have visited or stayed at for some time. Many friendly drinks usually follow!

But yea I get your point in a professional setting, but when it comes to friends or even friendly co - workers you really just need to get over it and not be bothered. It's up to them how they type/speak etc and that is their freedom to do so. When you think about it just because a 'proper' book with correct spelling was compiled and tells you that is how you spell or write doesn't actually have to mean that it's the only acceptable way to do so. That's why I think people who type how they really talk are doing nothing wrong. The only reason we compromise this at work etc is because of how society has come to accept these definitions are the only acceptable way and thus anything else is'uneducated'.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Literate: a) able to read and write, b) having knowledge or competence

Literacy is a direct reflection of the overall intelligence of a culture or society. It refers not just to the ability to read and write, but to do so properly within the guidelines of the chosen language of communication. Without literacy, effective written communication deteriorates.

The ability to read and write properly has a direct correlation to IQ and intellectual ability.

It is possible for an intelligent person with excellent spelling and grammar to relax this constraint and consciously decide to use improper spelling and grammar. The reverse is not possible, for a dullard with poor spelling and grammar to consciously have excellence in said skills, which inherently defines it as a limitation of intellectual ability.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ahmblay Iyay amyay ebellingray againstyay youray ommunistcay emandsday andyay eeingfray yselfmay omfray youray ammargray andyay ellingspay ainschay! OWERPAY OTAY ETHAY EOPLEPAY!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join