It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Normal people are insane?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
I'd like to point out that most of our great Artists were a bit mad in a way.

Yeah, its funny how genius and a bit of crazyness go together. Here is a great TED talk about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

I'd like to point out that most of our great Artists were a bit mad in a way.

Yeah, its funny how genius and a bit of crazyness go together. Here is a great TED talk about it.

Can you give me a brief overview man. (can't watch it right now)
All the great writers..... yeah, a bit mad.

*Hemingway was awesome.
hell, even Hunter S. Thompson was.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Whatever the case may be, don't go calling it mad "pride", or you will immediately tie it to the gay "pride" issue, and most people will leap to the association even against their will. While this would do no one any good, my sympathies are for the latter.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This thread just reminded me of a good friend I haven't seen for a few years. He is schizophrenic and another friend of ours used to build his confidence by saying, "I think you're the only sane person in a world full of crazy people."

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

In a nutshell, it's about the distinction between being a genius and having a genius.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In a nutshell, it's about the distinction between being a genius and having a genius.

Awesome. I'm going to check it out later.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I can't take any of those goofballs on Ted Talks seriously.

I want to throw my own poop at them.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I've always took what Holmes said on the issue as very intuitive -

“Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked. Good mental machinery ought to break its own wheels and levers, if anything is thrust among them suddenly which tends to stop them or reverse their motion. A weak mind does not accumulate force enough to hurt itself; stupidity often saves a man from going mad.”

I've suffered from my own depression and ptsd. Anyone can be a washed with sadness and hopelessness that alters one's perceptions and personality. Thankfully, it's a temporary state of being one weathers through. Unfortunately, it marks the individual as somehow less, than a person who has never experienced similar states of mind. In some ways, psychiatry does more harm than good. It creates a sub-group that now will weather prejudice, hatred, and misunderstanding. Shame on them.

I don't associate mental illness with working with the metaphysical/spiritual. Though I do contemplate my sanity on continuously working with the occult, if I could go back, I'd tell my young self DON'T!!! Simple, blind faith would have been easier and I'm envious of those who choose that route. I blame my mother. (not really
)

Anyhow, associating mental illness with spirituality trivializes the transcendent experience and attempts to invalidate it. What's the point of spiritual development and encouraging it, if, when personal manifestation of experience is shared, it's going to be labeled as insane?

Everybody has something to say, something important to contribute. The universe wastes nothing.

Cirque

edit on 22-1-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: emoticon fix

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Dare to be stupid!

The Holy Fool.

I keep dropping and losing things.

But I swear I didn't mean to.

Don't beat me for it!

Don't make me do algebra!

Don't make me remember times and dates!

I'm dumb! I don't wanna!

I'm espechul.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hopefully, by the time Nuclear Armageddon is scheduled to happen, everyone will be too stupid to remember the launch codes.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
School is for dorks.

Drop out!

Go dig a hole and find a rock and declare it to be a dinosaur bone when it is, in actuality, just a rock!

Go draw on the walls.

Go poop in the streets.

Go believe in Santa Claus!

He Exists!

Stoopid peeple yoonite!

Oops... forgot to tie my shoos.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth

I don't associate mental illness with working with the metaphysical/spiritual.

Part of spiritual emergence is going through spiritual emergencies.

"It is possible to undergo a profound crisis involving non-ordinary experiences and to perceive it as pathological or psychiatric when in fact it may be more accurately and beneficially defined as a spiritual emergency."

-Stanislav Grof

spiritualemergency.blogspot.com...

Anyhow, associating mental illness with spirituality trivializes the transcendent experience and attempts to invalidate it.

Having experienced the transcendent myself, I feel its the most important thing someone can hope to experience. I would never try to trivialize it or invalidate it.

What's the point of spiritual development and encouraging it, if, when personal manifestation of experience is shared, it's going to be labeled as insane?

That's exactly why society needs to be educated! Too many mystics are being brushed-off as insane. It has to stop, before our collective foolishness and ignorance destroys us all.

edit on 22-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PnezakYahakotima

States of under standing,
I'm deliberate in my phrasing - are you?
Stupid labels tend to stick,
Damn super glue.
Pigeon holed a dummy -
Whats the "special" to do?

Nice post Pnezak.

Peace,
Cirque
edit on 22-1-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: spacing

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I never wanted to be normal anyway, those normal people are all crazy.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Give up....

Go full on dotard.

Even if you're in your prime....

Alzheimer's saves!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Well I've definitely been through spiritual crisis. More than once.

I wouldn't assume that you or anyone else would trivialize or demean someones personal experience. Typically, there's no need to assume, people betray themselves quite readily. I didn't mean for that statement/phrase to appear as though I was signaling out or targeting any one person. I was referring to people in a broad sense. Those who sit on the outside and look in.

I find that the many, too many people, have simply fallen away from the spiritual and are immersed in their physicality. Some see that that is all there is, or ever was, or will be. I haven't figured out how to help people see the tangibility of spirit, it's various states, and it's very real effect on ourselves and the world around us. It's been my experience that people either do, or don't.

Cirque

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

You are correct; I've touched on this a few times before around here.

Patients with Schizophrenia aren't crazy, they just haven't been taught how to control their 'gifts' as you put it..

Schizophrenics possess an unnaturally high Serotonin and Dopamine metabolism in their body, which causes it to manufacture it's own '___', on a much larger scale than normal.

This is why there is such a strong correlation between the visionary and auditory hallucinations suffered by patients with Schizophrenia, and those of people using entheogens.

However, the people with Schizophrenia are not taught to control it or even understand it much less; and as such are a victim to it.

If they were to learn to control it, they would be able to stop the voices of the negative astral entities feeding off of their despair, and start communicating with the benevolent ones.

However, society today is quick to ostracize any who aren't 'normal'...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
They only call them self's sane because they have the majority.
so if 70% are total insane, are they the sane?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

reply to post by NewAgeMan

Not only do they employ observers, but they wage psychic warfare against us 'crazy shamans'. That's where the 'Men In Black' motif comes in, I believe. I've been attacked several times in the astral plane. This is a dangerous thing we are doing here. Fighting for Truth is never easy in any age, I guess.

We aren't marketers, we are artists. Marketing has its place but the art needs to come first so that it can exist on a sublime level above greed and fear.

The way I see it is, all we need to do is to create novel forms and ideas (which are, like the kingdom of heaven comprised of treasures both old, and new), and then launch them, through the use of language into the noosphere, to bring about the omegapoint of the cosmogenesis of the noosphere (mindsphere), which means that our objects of art, whatever they may be, will be informative in the most creative and ingenious of ways.

I'm enthralled myself, as a bit of an NLP practitioner, with the idea of the double bind, which places the mind in a rational and ethical quandry who's only resolution involves a paradigm shift. In my experience these new paradigms are also the source of much laughter and joy, so we have to have the audacity to be fools for the sake of what is right, relative to the absurdities of normalcy, and in the process drive EVERYONE mad and insane, and thus into sanity - saving the world, with a really good joke at the expense of the devil within including all our prior ignorance, and base insecurity and limiting and constraining reality tunnels.

There's an idea capable of "popping" everyone, I am convinced, which we the mad can approach each from our own artistic perspective with the aim to communicate the new paradigm, so that it really takes root because once the mind and the heart changes shape, it can never go back to its original configuration..

So yes, first sublime art, but then the art of marketing is very important, but it must be done in the form of a covert double bind maybe using the Socratic method, designed to eventually cause the recipient, to burst out laughing in epiphany.

It can be done, and because there's nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come, it can't not!

It isn't a mad person who's the eternal optimist, but the one with the courage to reject everything else that is utterly absurd and irrational by comparison.

The thesis holds, because we the Mad, have the imagination, the courage (insane courage) and the audacity, to actually believe, that we can change the world. We are the mothers and fathers of the new messianic age of spirit and reason, a new post-historical avante guard radiating forth a new enlightenment, leading us all to a single door, and into a whole new domain of unfettered freedom and liberation and new possibility for the human spirit.

edit on 22-1-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Somehow, by the grace of God (and only by his Grace) we MUST figure out a way to make human psychological and spiritual transformative growth and well being, both for ourselves and others, easier, more fun and enjoyable, even hilarious, and as such, irresistible.

By further appealing to reason at the expense of the absurdities of the human condition, we leverage the great fulcrum (with the art of humor) by which the idea moves with movement and steadfast self-determination ie: anyone that "gets it" or groks most fully, is then compelled to share it with his fellow man, but in the new inviting and non-coercive manner of light-heartedness and with infinite love and compassion.

We must sit on the rock of ages and inquire into one another, always prepared to learn something new, to grow, to laugh and celebrate together, and creatively play, together, while inviting still others by the sheer force of an irresistible invitation, to also participate and in hearing the voice of the Shepherds among us, to enter into the new domain of limitless freedom and new possibility for the human being, and in so doing also take up the cause as newfound co-creators working hand in hand with the spirit of truth and love who is God.

It's an unreasonably reasonable expection, and that's why I'm still hopeful.

edit on 22-1-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join