It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Normal people are insane?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Are normal people the insane ones? Are schizophrenic episodes actually more like shamanic 'crisis' initiations, '___' trips and mystical experiences?

Maybe 'normal' society is entirely backwards about mental illness, mysticism, and enlightenment...and maybe our insane backwardness is slowly destroying us.

The Spiritual Gift of Madness: The Failure of Psychiatry and the Rise of the Mad Pride Movement

A bold call for the “insane” to reclaim their rightful role as prophets of spiritual and cultural transformation

• Explains how many of those diagnosed as schizophrenic, bipolar, and other forms of “madness” are not ill but experiencing a spiritual awakening

• Explores the rise of Mad Pride and the mental patients’ liberation movement

• Reveals how those seen as “mad” must embrace their spiritual gifts to help the coming global spiritual transition

Many of the great prophets of the past experienced madness--a breakdown followed by a breakthrough, spiritual death followed by rebirth. With the advent of modern psychiatry, the budding prophets of today are captured and transformed into chronic mental patients before they can flower into the visionaries and mystics they were intended to become. As we approach the tipping point between extinction and global spiritual awakening, there is a deep need for these prophets to embrace their spiritual gifts. To make this happen, we must learn to respect the sanctity of madness. We need to cultivate Mad Pride.

Exploring the rise of Mad Pride and the mental patients’ liberation movement as well as building upon psychiatrist R. D. Laing’s revolutionary theories, Seth Farber, Ph.D., explains that diagnosing people as mad has more to do with social control than therapy. Many of those labeled as schizophrenic, bipolar, and other kinds of “mad” are not ill but simply experiencing different forms of spiritual awakening: they are seeing and feeling what is wrong with society and what needs to be done to change it. Farber shares his interviews with former schizophrenics who now lead successful and inspiring lives. He shows that it is impossible for society to change as long as the mad are suppressed because they are our catalysts of social change. By reclaiming their rightful role as prophets of spiritual and cultural revitalization, the mad--by seeding new visions for our future--can help humanity overcome the spiritual crisis that endangers our survival and lead us to a higher and long-awaited stage of spiritual development.

Eco-Doom or Redemption: The Mad Movement and the Sixties' Counter-Culture Project

edit on 21-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Awesome find! It may very well be true, which means change is not something that is wanted by the creators/caretakers of our current societal structure.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I have often pondered this myself but any time I've tried to discuss it with others, I end up getting called crazy myself! Thanks so much for the post & link - I am thoroughly enjoying reading it!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Very Interesting! I've always said "I'm the normal one, its everyone else around me that's crazy"

SnF op

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Maybe 'normal' society is entirely backwards about mental illness, mysticism, and enlightenment...and maybe our backwardness is slowly destroying us.

No maybes about it..

Psychiatry is a total complete FRAUD...

“Psychiatry” has NO, and I mean ZERO medical basis whatsoever.

Watch “The marketing of Madness” on YouTube to learn what a scam “psychiatry” is.

Thought Police Kidnap Talk Show Host

“Biological psychiatry is a total fraud.” — Fred Baughman,

quoted by Dr. Timothy Scott, America Fooled: The Truth about Antidepressants, Antipsychotics and How We’ve Been Deceived

Psychiatry is a Total Fraud

Not only is psychology without merit, but psychiatry defrauds the public as well. Medical psychiatrists have been trying for years to validate their biochemical theory of mental illness, but “after decades of research that has yielded not a single definitive biological marker connecting brain dysfunction to mental disorders,” we are letting doctors evaluate and treat us as if such diseases exist.

To put it more loosely, making a diagnosis of mental illness is “a near mindless act where you can speculate whatever you want and never be ‘wrong’ (if any new or unrelated symptoms emerge just add another diagnosis).”

In fact, there is not a single scientific study that shows prescription psychotropic drug users suffer from an objective, confirmable abnormality of the brain.

Psychology and Psychiatry: Rotten to the Core

Dr. Niall McLaren, an Australian practicing psychiatrist for 22 years, explains what is wrong with the psychiatric profession: That it cannot/will not take criticism, for fear the entire model of biological psychiatry will unravel. That there is no science to psychiatric diagnoses, no brain based diseases. And that psychiatry only pushes mental disorders as biological disease in order to convince people to take psychiatric drugs, causing a host of dangerous side effects.

What's Wrong with Psychiatry?

“There are no objective tests in psychiatry-no X-ray, laboratory, or exam finding that says definitively that someone does or does not have a mental disorder.”
— Allen Frances, Former DSM-IV Task Force Chairman

Source

“…modern psychiatry has yet to convincingly prove the genetic/biologic cause of any single mental illness…Patients [have] been diagnosed with ‘chemical imbalances’ despite the fact that no test exists to support such a claim, and…there is no real conception of what a correct chemical balance would look like.” — Dr. David Kaiser, psychiatrist

Source

“All psychiatrists have in common that when they are caught on camera or on microphone, they cower and admit that there are no such things as chemical imbalances/diseases, or examinations or tests for them. What they do in practice, lying in every instance, abrogating [revoking] the informed consent right of every patient and poisoning them in the name of ‘treatment’ is nothing short of criminal.” — Dr Fred Baughman Jr., Pediatric Neurologist

Source

“Psychiatry makes unproven claims that depression, bipolar illness, anxiety, alcoholism and a host of other disorders are in fact primarily biologic and probably genetic in origin…This kind of faith in science and progress is staggering, not to mention naïve and perhaps delusional.”

— Dr. David Kaiser, psychiatrist

Source

“In short, the whole business of creating psychiatric categories of ‘disease,’ formalizing them with consensus, and subsequently ascribing diagnostic codes to them, which in turn leads to their use for insurance billing, is nothing but an extended racket furnishing psychiatry a pseudo-scientific aura. The perpetrators are, of course, feeding at the public trough.”
— Dr. Thomas Dorman, internist and member of the Royal College of Physicians of the UK

Source

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have often wondered if people with hallucinations weren't just seeing things we learned to tune out at a very young age. Somehow, the mental wall that was built up starts crumbling. It's interesting to think about.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I do think that transpersonal psychology might have important contributions to make, however.

Transpersonal psychology is a school of psychology that studies the transpersonal, self-transcendent or spiritual aspects of the human experience. Transpersonal experiences may be defined as "experiences in which the sense of identity or self extends beyond (trans) the individual or personal to encompass wider aspects of humankind, life, psyche or cosmos".[1]

A short definition from the Journal of Transpersonal Psychology suggests that transpersonal psychology "is concerned with the study of humanity's highest potential, and with the recognition, understanding, and realization of unitive, spiritual, and transcendent states of consciousness".[2] Transpersonal psychologists have suggested that transpersonal psychology "is the area of psychology that focuses on the study of transpersonal experiences and related phenomena. These phenomena include the causes, effects and correlates of transpersonal experiences and development, as well as the disciplines and practices inspired by them".[1][3] Issues considered in transpersonal psychology include spiritual self-development, self beyond the ego, peak experiences, mystical experiences, systemic trance and other sublime and/or unusually expanded experiences of living.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Many of the people with mental illnesses imagine things are being done to them, and I mean "imagine" (I've had a lot of experience with two of them, cukoo for cocoa puffs). They seldom imagine good things, although are happy about real good things. Only a paranoid "you stole my (fill in the blank)" "you said that to attack me" on and on.

As for the chance that their madness (i.e. getting mad at nothing, on a regular basis) is mystical in nature, parts of it can well be. The two I know have very powerful psychic knowledge, but both refuse any training for it and so mix their true data with their major childhood trauma and decision making patterns, and they suffer on many levels for that. Neither will admit they are ever wrong about anything, and life is like a constant fight with imagined enemies who are out to get them. They are usually the only ones who are out to get themselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
These terms require points of reference matched to our beliefs and values. There is no objective sanity or insanity. Just people being as they are.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Pschiatry literally means and translates to "medical treatment of the soul"

I suppose this is all we need to know

Those of us that have experienced meeting god and the devil or alien abductions or see spirits should feel somewhat vindicated

I never trusted any doctors

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Okay...I'll bite. I'm actually in the midst of trying to prove that Schizophrenics (with an MRI showing that the corpus colossum is not intact) are actually misunderstood seers that are driven to madness with self-doubt because only they can hear and see things that we can't. I feel as if they are the key to it all, like they are equipped with night-vision compared to us who are merely equipped with potatoes for eyes (play on words...how fun!).

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I do think that transpersonal psychology might have important contributions to make, however.

Transpersonal psychology is a school of psychology that studies the transpersonal, self-transcendent or spiritual aspects of the human experience. Transpersonal experiences may be defined as "experiences in which the sense of identity or self extends beyond (trans) the individual or personal to encompass wider aspects of humankind, life, psyche or cosmos".[1]

A short definition from the Journal of Transpersonal Psychology suggests that transpersonal psychology "is concerned with the study of humanity's highest potential, and with the recognition, understanding, and realization of unitive, spiritual, and transcendent states of consciousness".[2] Transpersonal psychologists have suggested that transpersonal psychology "is the area of psychology that focuses on the study of transpersonal experiences and related phenomena. These phenomena include the causes, effects and correlates of transpersonal experiences and development, as well as the disciplines and practices inspired by them".[1][3] Issues considered in transpersonal psychology include spiritual self-development, self beyond the ego, peak experiences, mystical experiences, systemic trance and other sublime and/or unusually expanded experiences of living.

Transpersonal Psychology? Is this to be added to the original seven perspectives in psychiatry??? Making eight in total........................not.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Are normal people the insane ones? Are schizophrenic episodes actually more like shamanic 'crisis' initiations, '___' trips and mystical experiences?

Maybe 'normal' society is entirely backwards about mental illness, mysticism, and enlightenment...and maybe our insane backwardness is slowly destroying us.

The Spiritual Gift of Madness: The Failure of Psychiatry and the Rise of the Mad Pride Movement

A bold call for the “insane” to reclaim their rightful role as prophets of spiritual and cultural transformation

• Explains how many of those diagnosed as schizophrenic, bipolar, and other forms of “madness” are not ill but experiencing a spiritual awakening

• Explores the rise of Mad Pride and the mental patients’ liberation movement

• Reveals how those seen as “mad” must embrace their spiritual gifts to help the coming global spiritual transition

Many of the great prophets of the past experienced madness--a breakdown followed by a breakthrough, spiritual death followed by rebirth. With the advent of modern psychiatry, the budding prophets of today are captured and transformed into chronic mental patients before they can flower into the visionaries and mystics they were intended to become. As we approach the tipping point between extinction and global spiritual awakening, there is a deep need for these prophets to embrace their spiritual gifts. To make this happen, we must learn to respect the sanctity of madness. We need to cultivate Mad Pride.

Exploring the rise of Mad Pride and the mental patients’ liberation movement as well as building upon psychiatrist R. D. Laing’s revolutionary theories, Seth Farber, Ph.D., explains that diagnosing people as mad has more to do with social control than therapy. Many of those labeled as schizophrenic, bipolar, and other kinds of “mad” are not ill but simply experiencing different forms of spiritual awakening: they are seeing and feeling what is wrong with society and what needs to be done to change it. Farber shares his interviews with former schizophrenics who now lead successful and inspiring lives. He shows that it is impossible for society to change as long as the mad are suppressed because they are our catalysts of social change. By reclaiming their rightful role as prophets of spiritual and cultural revitalization, the mad--by seeding new visions for our future--can help humanity overcome the spiritual crisis that endangers our survival and lead us to a higher and long-awaited stage of spiritual development.

Eco-Doom or Redemption: The Mad Movement and the Sixties' Counter-Culture Project

Mad Pride!

That's fantastic, love it!

But as any mystic knows, there is no "normal" and the desire to be "normal" is a self-constraining limitation for no other reason than a deeply seeded insecurity, or fear of change and transformation and pushing forward into the unknown.

That gives me an idea, for a letter to all normal people, asking them to come forward and lose their minds for all the right reasons..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Having had a similar experience I can tell you that it changed my life dramatically

So much so that I literally see everything differently that the %99

Its almost as if I walk a different plain and what society deems as normal people I just can no longer communicate with

To me the majority are hopelessly brainwashed and it seems almost impossible to have a discussion with them because the diff3ring opinion will literally make them become violent

They believe everything from the controllers

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Just loving the article.

This part just caught my eye - hilarious!

"The well-adjusted bomber pilot may be a greater threat to species survival than the hospitalized schizophrenic deluded that the Bomb is inside him.

www.realitysandwich.com...

That's the most beautiful and funniest article I've read in ages.

Thanks so much for turning me onto this. S&F!

They can count me in as a member of the new Messianic arm of the Mad Pride Movement, and I'm proud of it!

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 21-1-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The 'geniouses' who have eliminated 5 of the 10 personality disorders from this upcoming revised DSM for May of 2013, have eliminated Narcissistic.
www.nytimes.com...
I think they want the predator class to be considered normal, and humble ones who juggle the dimensions, to be the ones of concern by powers that be,
it seems to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I don't know this guy seems a little off if you ask me.

Some of his books.

www.amazon.com...

The Spiritual Gift of Madness: The Failure of Psychiatry and the Rise of the Mad Pride Movement by Seth Farber and Kate Millett (Apr 17, 2012)

Radicals, Rabbis and Peacemakers: Conversations with Jewish Critics of Israel by Seth Farber (Jul 1, 2005)

Eternal Day by Seth Farber (Jul 2002)

Madness, Heresy, and the Rumor of Angels: The Revolt Against the Mental Health System by Seth Farber (Nov 3, 1999)

Unholy Madness: The Church's Surrender to Psychiatry by Seth Farber (Jun 1999)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Eedjee

What they fear the "PTB" is the mad finding the fulcrum by which history is turned, so they probably employ observers to read at places like ATS by which to steal the "frames" of the modern Shaman and be the first to wield them in the public arena, but causally, where did the idea come from first..?

We are at cause, we the high performance mad hatters.

What they ought to fear is our ability to infect the whole world with our madness, our insanity, on the rational basis that it's the only way into sanity both for the individual journeyer and the larger society within which he is immersed.

"Our Liberation is God's compulsion."
~ C.S Lewis

The Hero risks all to bring back from the very Gods a boon to his fellow man and on bended knee extends the Excalibur Sword with the recommendation to wield it carefully because it cuts both ways.

When we all find the edge of that fulcrum, then the whole pyramid will overturn and we'll retake the world and life as it really is, and not as the MSM pedals it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Not only do they employ observers, but they wage psychic warfare against us 'crazy shamans'. That's where the 'Men In Black' motif comes in, I believe. I've been attacked several times in the astral plane. This is a dangerous thing we are doing here. Fighting for Truth is never easy in any age, I guess.

We aren't marketers, we are artists. Marketing has its place but the art needs to come first so that it can exist on a sublime level above greed and fear.

edit on 22-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'd like to point out that most of our great Artists were a bit mad in a way.

I think being creative and artistic requires a bit of madness in a way. You have to experience life in such a hardcore way to become mad. Add some vices, you're in. Welcome to the club.

I have found that men with few vices, have very few vitues.
-Licoln

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join