It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web 're-defining' human identity says chief scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Web 're-defining' human identity says chief scientist

Social networks such as Facebook and on-line gaming are changing people's view of who they are and their place in the world, according to a report for the government's chief scientist. Online role-playing games help people shrug off preconceptions and find their true identities, says the report

The internet is, in my opinion, the biggest phenomenon of our modern age. The rate at which we've seen it expand and advance is astonishing and the social capabilities it has produced are nothing short of amazing.

"This can be a positive force, exemplified by the solidarity seen in the London 2012 Olympics or a destructive force, for example the 2011 riots," says the report.

"Due to the development of smart phones, social networks and the trend towards (greater) connectivity disparate groups can be more easily mobilised where their interests temporarily coincide."

"For example," it says, "a 'flash mob' can be mobilised between people who have not previously met".

I was amazed at the rate of which the London riots escalated and spread across the country. Trends are becoming increasingly easier to set and follow in this golden age of information and communications. Good or bad it is incredible and I for one feel privileged to be alive during such an astonishing and momentous period of human history.

Prof Beddington commissioned the study as part of the Government Office for Science's Foresight programme - the influential Foresight reports look ahead to highlight emerging trends in science and technology with a view to informing policies across government departments.

Foresight report
"The most dynamic trend (in determining identity) is hyper-connectivity," Prof Beddington told BBC News.

"The collection and use of data by government and the private sector, the balancing of individual rights and liberties against privacy and security and the issue of how to tackle social exclusion, will be affected by these trends," he said. "I hope the evidence in today's report will contribute to the policy making process."

Of course there is a dark side to everything. This hyper-connectivity makes it much easier for governmental/corporate entities to socially profile a a nation whether for the means of controlling and taming the masses or selling the populace more garbage, the potential ramifications are worrying to say the least.

The report, entitled "Future Identities," says that near continuous access to the internet, termed "hyper-connectivity", will drive profound changes to society over the next 10 years.

Its going to be a turbulent decade so lets make the best of it shall we

BBC News Article
Full Governmental Report

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I was amazed at the rate of which the London riots escalated and spread across the country. Trends are becoming increasingly easier to set and follow in this golden age of information and communications. Good or bad it is incredible and I for one feel privileged to be alive during such an astonishing and momentous period of human history.

Yep,we are all getting dumber and the goverment is getting smarter.I am amazed at the rate peoples post are being used in court against them.Not only in London but everywhere.(I type this as I keep looking over my shoulder and peeking out my blinds.)

join