It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, The Idiocy Out There

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

North Carolina man stabbed over sign language mistaken for gang signs

Hey, this has to be one of the most disconcerting headlines I've seen in a while. Foremost, who in their right mind is dumb or ignorant enough to NOT know what sign language is!??
Seriously, this is the latest level of contemptible ignorance. . .I don't usually say this, but I WANT this idiot in the system. Sure, his actions are horrific, but just his mere lack of intelligence is reason enough for me. I hope this guy gets the full extent of punishment. Ignorance of common sense should be a crime.

Souce
edit on 21-1-2013 by Divine Strake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Are you saying that you're surprised that a gang member is an idiot? 'Cause I'd be kinda surprised with the opposite.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Wow, would you believe just yesterday I was watching an Ali G clip where he was intentionally pretending he thought sign language was gang signs to get a reaction, asked a police officer if it was "dangerous to do shadow-puppets in the ghetto?" great comedy, never thought there would be idiots to play out the nonsense in real life

RIP to the guy

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Too true!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This reminds me of the story here in the UK in Chorley where a blind man with a White Stick was tazered when police mistook it for a samurai sword...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Good Lord!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It's stories like this that had me careful about the color shirt I wore when in and out of inner cities with trucking. Just enough stories got reported over the years of some dumb trucker walking a couple blocks for a burger while unloading in bright red or blue shirts, for instance, to give some thought....

Sad when we even have to worry, isn't it? What right does anyone have to attack another person over the color of a shirt or the hand signs..even if they ARE exactly what the person thinks they are?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
joining any street gang is not a likely indicator of good judgement. quite the reverse.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just WOW!

How friggin stupid are some people?

When someone is this dumb, they should just be taken out back somewhere and be permanently removed from the gene pool as a public service.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

It's a sad, sad situation.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Sad and it sucks.
Probably the gang member thought ol boy was "stacking".

Some folks have to join gangs to get out of being subject to one gangs torture.
I have seen the # all my life.
If you grew up in a bad neighborhood you would understand.
Although, most of the gang members I know are in jail now, drug dealers, or drug addicts.
Very few have succeded from it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's stories like this that had me careful about the color shirt I wore when in and out of inner cities with trucking. Just enough stories got reported over the years of some dumb trucker walking a couple blocks for a burger while unloading in bright red or blue shirts, for instance, to give some thought....

Sad when we even have to worry, isn't it? What right does anyone have to attack another person over the color of a shirt or the hand signs..even if they ARE exactly what the person thinks they are?

You're exaggerating.
the only way you would be attacked for what color you are wearing is if you are flossin it. Cocking your colored hat to the side or sporting a flag (bandana).

Most gangs now in days don't trip over colors.
I see Folk nation people wear red now for christ sakes.
And people nation cats wear blue.
Back in the day that was a no-no. Now they don't really care. But if you start throwin up your signs, waiving your flags, and sporting tattoos of a gang... or wearing your colored NEW ERA ballcap a certain way... well you might get some dirty looks.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

You're exaggerating.
the only way you would be attacked for what color you are wearing is if you are flossin it. Cocking your colored hat to the side or sporting a flag (bandana).

Okay, I have no idea where you may live or what your personal experience and background may be for being in gang infested areas on a regular basis but I found an example with just a moment or so looking.

Authorities believe a Central California man was simply wearing the wrong color when he was shot and killed in what police say was a gang-related shooting.

Twenty-four-year-old Roger Weinert of Visalia was wearing a red jacket when he was fatally shot on Jan. 8 while walking to a relative's house.

Visalia police say Weiner did not belong to a gang, but that the color red is the chosen color of a local street gang.
Source

As a produce trucker for most of my adult life, I was in and out of the nation's major cities on a regular basis. Usually, for whatever reason, in the worst areas of them. Specifically, Visalia is where this happened and thats a town I've been in, through and picking up produce around countless times over years of running the California produce sheds for loads coming back to Missouri.

I make no claims as to how frequently it happens or how many places it's actually a threat as opposed to caution. However, I assure you, I'm exaggerating nothing in saying it happens to 100% innocent people. This I found online with my first search string and in the first set of results. I've read many more in local papers and USA today shorts in the national section over the years to add to it. It's a dangerous world out there in some places and sometimes? Just wearing a red jacket down the street is enough to be killed for.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

And this makes it less stupid?

new topics

top topics

join