It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxford sued for wealth discrimination: Applicant can't afford 'luxury lifestyle'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Not getting a bachelor's is like not getting your highschool diploma 20 years ago. I'm glad that 17 year old drop out could make 70 k cutting hair. I know other drop outs making great money as strippers and bartenders too. But how many weekends have you worked? Do you have to say no to week vacations with your friends if you have a bad month? Do you get paid when you call out? Sure you can do it...but...point below.

That guy isn't going to take over his father's fortune 500 company. That is what Oxford is for. It is the same as all these college graduates unable to find jobs here. Getting a degree in made up crap like philosophy will get you one job: another degree that might actually pay you. Then you have two degrees to pay for with a one degree salary because no one will pay you to spout Herodotus or Aristotle. Imagine that worthless degree you got being Oxford. I don't even think you can get a girl to sleep with you on that tag line.

It is only good business to deny him.

The rest of you people saying college is worthless: sounds like you need an education.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I'm also taking a free class through a site called coursera. There was a film class from Wesleyan University, which is a pretty up there school.

As much as I can't wait to start it, I wish I could go to an actual film school and become a camera person, but it's hard getting work as a special needs...

Plus, I'm already in debt from a private school and a community college I was made to attend.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KilroyRock

Sorry, you must have misunderstood my post. I'm not making 70K a year working as a hairdresser, I was doing hairdressing untill I turned 21. Since then I've been on those wages working for a major telco in Australia! I don't work weekends, I have paid 4 weeks off a year and 15 'sick' paid sick days plus employee benifits that would rival most. That is why, right now, this is my dream job.

I've been saving and now going to go to uni part time later in the year to study psychology like my partner who has done the exact thing as me, but with a 4 year difference. He did this 4 years ago, now coincidentally I'm doing the same.

Alternative paths are everywhere, but you won't be told that by anyone. You need to look for these paths yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GermanShep
We give the brothers free everything and they still commit crime in record numbers. F them. Ungrateful aholes.

Gs

Who are the brothers? Black people?

You are one of their brothers, you are just color-sensitive. I doubt I misread this post.

BTW, define free. As in not paid for with currency? Our freedom was not paid for in currency does that make our freedom free? I have some family members in the service that would disagree....
edit on 22-1-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Immediate debt? Sure. But it IS worth it to get your degree. I feel the key is choosing a college that isn't stupidly expensive. There are some great colleges that offer minimal costs compared to more expensive schools.

It WAS worth it at one point, no more though. University degrees used to set you apart from the crowd, now they are common - it's expected that people who dont pickup a trade will go to university... a standard bachelors degree doesnt mean # anymore unless its in a very limited number of fields.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia

Originally posted by capone1

Immediate debt? Sure. But it IS worth it to get your degree. I feel the key is choosing a college that isn't stupidly expensive. There are some great colleges that offer minimal costs compared to more expensive schools.

It WAS worth it at one point, no more though. University degrees used to set you apart from the crowd, now they are common - it's expected that people who dont pickup a trade will go to university... a standard bachelors degree doesnt mean # anymore unless its in a very limited number of fields.

Why does any degree matter? You can get the same education at the library. Oh, and without the propaganda slipped in. I think therefore what????? I am not the I am.
edit on 23-1-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nquisitive

Take note, I did not criticise free capital. What I said is that entry to a top university should not come with a requirement for an abundance of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

Originally posted by 1nquisitive
reply to post by NarrowGate

schooling should be free

Nothing is 'free', every action has a cost.

I take it you are throwing in the towel? OK.

Did you miss the part about..... you know what never mind...

You are a teacher?
Glad I am not paying to go to school right now. We need a higher caliber of teachers!

No, I'm not throwing in the towel, whatever made you think that?

Praxelogical analysis clearly shows, using logical factualities, that every economic action has a cost, and more over every single action and choice you make IS economic.

You assert that "education should be free" and I'm pointing out that nothing is free, there is always a cost carried by somebody.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Take note, I did not criticise free capital. What I said is that entry to a top university should not come with a requirement for an abundance of it.

Market forces should dictate prices in order for said resources to be allocated most efficiently.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

reply to post by NarrowGate

schooling should be free

Nothing is 'free', every action has a cost.

I take it you are throwing in the towel? OK.

Did you miss the part about..... you know what never mind...

You are a teacher?
Glad I am not paying to go to school right now. We need a higher caliber of teachers!

No, I'm not throwing in the towel, whatever made you think that?

Praxelogical analysis clearly shows, using logical factualities, that every economic action has a cost, and more over every single action and choice you make IS economic.

You assert that "education should be free" and I'm pointing out that nothing is free, there is always a cost carried by somebody.

Excellent excellent timing, and thank you for relating it to the economic cost. I am sure you are familiar with the prisoners dilemma. Here is a thread I would be seriously appreciate your input in. I would love your perspective here. It is exactly what I need to further my understanding, so please take the time.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Market forces should dictate prices in order for said resources to be allocated most efficiently.

Has nothing to do with education. You are talking about services and goods, neither of which education falls into imho. It is a basic human right, but ok

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

Forgive me, I did misread that. My point is still valid, but in your case, you'd face the same thing a lot of people face, eventually, the only thing different for the next level up between you and joe schmo in the corner, which is that joe would have had the degree.

If someone asks "why did you hire that guy over the the other?" the answer being "one had a degree, the other didn't have a degree", it makes sense as to why. It's the same as why I should get my SQL certs, vs trying to explain how much I SQL I know by spouting off sql functions. It won't teach me anything I don't already know, but it sure shortens the length of the interview. Writing out sql commands on unlined paper is a pretty miserable and nerve wracking experience.

But hence you going to college, which is good. The only thing you'll miss by going to school late, would be that you're the older person, probably won't live in the dorms (one of the greatest times of my life), but you'll have your own experiences that they won't have. Plus you'll be able to buy beer for your classmates.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Has nothing to do with education. You are talking about services and goods, neither of which education falls into imho. It is a basic human right, but ok

I think you use 'right' as to mean 'entitlement'.

Nobody is entitled to another persons labour/property.

I agree that X has the 'right' to educate himself, and should not be forced from doing so, though this does not mean X has the 'right' to force Y to aid X's education (whether it be financially, physically etc), to say so necessarily implies X has the right to Y's property (amongst other capital), and if that is so then how can Y exercise his right to educate himself?
edit on 23-1-2013 by 1nquisitive because: typo

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Who said someone has to labor for me to get an education? I have a library up the road. The only problem is, they won't give me a degree no matter what test I can pass. That's how the system works. Are you going to reply to the thread I asked you to? I would like input coming from your perspective.

No it is a basic human right. Whether or not the rest of the humans view it as valid depends on whether or not they are thinking. If they believe education is only found in universities they are mistaken. For this reason, universities should be free so that free-thinking people can have a larger impact on society. I don't want to pay for my propaganda....

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Who said someone has to labor for me to get an education? I have a library up the road. The only problem is, they won't give me a degree no matter what test I can pass. That's how the system works. Are you going to reply to the thread I asked you to? I would like input coming from your perspective.

No it is a basic human right. Whether or not the rest of the humans view it as valid depends on whether or not they are thinking. If they believe education is only found in universities they are mistaken. For this reason, universities should be free so that free-thinking people can have a larger impact on society. I don't want to pay for my propaganda....

If you make university 'free' you are forcing people to pay for the education of others, and this money is made from labour (in it's various varieties). It is no different to slavery.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Why not pay the teachers more AND make the universities free? Or do you think this is impossible? Yes someone has to pay the price with money which is irrelevant. It is a tool, not to be worshiped. I refer you to my other thread of why this will not happen. It is not that it should not it is that with the current mentality of people - it will not. Big difference.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Why not pay the teachers more AND make the universities free? Or do you think this is impossible? Yes someone has to pay the price with money which is irrelevant. It is a tool, not to be worshiped. I refer you to my other thread of why this will not happen. It is not that it should not it is that with the current mentality of people - it will not. Big difference.

It is not irrelevant - why should X have to pay for Y, especially if X doesn't receive the same benefit (perhaps he chooses not to go to university)?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

It is not irrelevant - why should X have to pay for Y, especially if X doesn't receive the same benefit (perhaps he chooses not to go to university)?

Because X is a part of a group of people with 99% of the money? It gets worse the higher you go the more blatantly malicious it becomes. The bottom of the 1% is nothing compared to the top.

The prisoners dilemma my friend, don't go snitchin on your fellow man
. To do so is to hurt everyone's position in the dilemma, the strong included.

eta: o and yes in my belief it is completely irrelevant. The strong must protect the weak, NOT the other way around. Sadly, it is the other way around. It is not working out too well. I can vouch for this.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Because X is a part of a group of people with 99% of the money? It gets worse the higher you go the more blatantly malicious it becomes. The bottom of the 1% is nothing compared to the top.

There will always be richer people.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

There will always be richer people.

Prisoners dilemma. If they choose to remain in this state of snitching, they hurt the future generations of both their family and the rest of the world. That is only obvious to a teacher though right?
edit on 23-1-2013 by NarrowGate because: messed up

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join