It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did the Mayans predict "pale obese gun owners"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hi all

well its from the onion so its a bit of a satire lol..

but the video is still worth watching

edit on 21-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
More left-wing propaganda, this time thinly disguised as "satire". Like Bill Maher is considered "satire'.

I didn't find it funny at all. Especially since they are (again) trying to tell people that owning guns is racist.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Im for the 2nd ammendment, but I can see the humor

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The difference between conspiracy theories and that joke is that the creators of the latter are aware of it.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Knew it wasn´t original when I saw the football game

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think its funny and interesting.
I too own guns. I am white and liberal. (Imagine that)
And can see the satire.
Does the depiction of the pale obese gun owner
imply that the gun owner is racist too?
Nope.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
The difference between conspiracy theories and that joke is that the creators of the latter are aware of it.

I'm well aware of both. I am also aware of the overt racism of the "joke". That part I do not appreciate.

What if they did a "satire" video that said that the Mayan word for "Apocalypse" literally translated to "River-hopping law-evading lettuce-harvesters"? You think that would get the same hardy-hars??

edit on 21-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I'm well aware of both. I am also aware of the overt racism of the "joke". That part I do not appreciate.

I haven't watched it, but I'm guessing it has something to do with fat gun-loving white men?
Usually it's quite fine to make jokes of oneself, it's hard to make that racist.
I have no problem making jokes about any nationality/origin because I can see the humor in stereo-types, and I expect the people hearing (any nationality) to think that it's funny because they know me and my intentions.

It's strange that you react to a joke that is clearly created by white men for white men. Usually I find these people bitter somehow against people with some other origin. If not, what is the problem?

What if they did a "satire" video that said that the Mayan word for "Apocalypse" literally translated to "River-hopping law-evading lettuce-harvesters"? You think that would get the same hardy-hars??

No, because it doesn't make much sense at all.
But if a current event was Dec 21st and there was a big flow of immigrants, then the story could go that they would harvest all lettuce and build a big lettuce-bomb, or eat all the lettuce and fart until the earth was filled with lethal gas leading to the apocalypse, yes, it would probably be seen as a joke and not racist, if the people in the video would have that origin and seem to be "in it".

new topics

top topics

join