It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Looks To Install Microphones In "Urban Areas" That Can Listen to Conversations

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

How do you know the quality of the recording in that case?? Would you like to share??

Actually, you already shared, as the link is found in your OP article.

In one section, he said, a voice can be heard saying “No, Jason! No, Jason!” — a statement that could help his client — but in other parts the words cannot be easily distinguished. He said he was having the tape enhanced to try to clarify it.

In any case, Mr. Camera said, the new technology is “opening up a whole can of worms.”
“If the police are utilizing these conversations, then the issue is, where does it stop?” he said.

Source

So, we have a system that is 99.6% accurate at identifying gun shots and one case in the last 20 years of a voice recording from this system with audio that cannot be easily distinguished.

It's all good and fine to speculate about future systems and abuse, but using this as a launch pad for such a discussion is a mediocre attempt at best.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

Originally posted by WaterBottle
Gonna have to start creating your own languages so they can't understand.

Bingo.

Or we can chase these usurpers the hell out of the country.

Why should Americans allow themselves to be pushed around by a corrupt group of thuggish elitists? This country isn't supposed to be a third world police state. America is supposed to be the shiny city on the hill, a beacon of light for the oppressed, and the greatest example of freedom in this world. We can't lose sight of that!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

So, we have a system that is 99.6% accurate at identifying gun shots and one case in the last 20 years of a voice recording from this system with audio that cannot be easily distinguished.

It's all good and fine to speculate about future systems and abuse, but using this as a launch pad for such a discussion is a mediocre attempt at best.

Well thanks for the critique, professor. I will take that under consideration.

In the meantime we have cameras and microphones up in 70 cities and some Americans still want to pretend all is well. I wish I was oblivious enough to look past this but I'm past the denial stage already. I'm actually past the anger stage, too. Now I'm looking for solutions.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well thanks for the critique, professor. I will take that under consideration.

That's all I had hoped for.

I wish you well.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
i would be making so many heads spin talking in front of one of those things. mostly egging them on

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

if i find them ill go buy a 5 dollar solar panel hook it up to a 7 dollar mp3 player and have it say stuff like obama is a trerrorist over and over and over ^^ just find em for me ^^

15 16 bucks, exacto knife and some electric tape ^^

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

It's like we're living in a movie. I think it's pretty crazy how that movie MINORITY REPORT is now real life.Pre crime thought police actually arresting people BEFORE they do anything. That's Bizarre.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
USA is becoming a nazi state. I feel for you guys. Its happening and you are all kinda going along with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

While all in all it's a rather creepy thing, people need to realize one thing.

The streets are public, you say something on the sidewalk while walking with your friend, chances are the dozen people that had walked past you heard some if not all of your conversation.

I'm not necessarily worried about it, and it really isn't like I go talking about sensitive topics out in public anyway (that is, if I even go out at all, I live in a neighborhood that isn't safe for gangly white boys). But perhaps this way of thinking is just spurned by the fact that I DON'T get out often.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What's wrong with you? Do you not like being safe? They're only trying to help protect us. Clearly we are incapable of protecting ourselves. We must be disarmed and monitored at once!

On a serious note. The Government will keep pushing this # until the people as a whole stand up and unite. These little factions of people who speak out isn't enough. One day the people will rise up against Government. However I doubt they will within the next 10 years. Then at that point, there will be probably to many pussies in around. I guess anyone who doesn't like invasion of privacy, tyranny, being a victim, the list goes on will be labeled extremist nut job terrorists and be sent to solitary confinement or a mental facility. Damn enemies of the state wanting less Government in their life and a better future for their children, how dare they?

Obamanites unite we must protect the children from constitutionalists and freedom lovers everywhere!

Edit

Originally posted by Transitarian
reply to post by seabag

While all in all it's a rather creepy thing, people need to realize one thing.

The streets are public, you say something on the sidewalk while walking with your friend, chances are the dozen people that had walked past you heard some if not all of your conversation.

I'm not necessarily worried about it, and it really isn't like I go talking about sensitive topics out in public anyway (that is, if I even go out at all, I live in a neighborhood that isn't safe for gangly white boys). But perhaps this way of thinking is just spurned by the fact that I DON'T get out often.

It's the principle, if they're willing to monitor for "gun shots" on every street corner is it possible your living room could be next? It's how far will you let it go. Streets being public or not it means more government, more government involvement, more money, for a program that spy's on Americans.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

Edit

Originally posted by seabag

Bingo.

Why should Americans allow themselves to be pushed around by a corrupt group of thuggish elitists? This country isn't supposed to be a third world police state. America is supposed to be the shiny city on the hill, a beacon of light for the oppressed, and the greatest example of freedom in this world. We can't lose sight of that!

Americans allow themselves to be pushed around because they have a sheepish mob mentality. They follow the leaders blindly, they trust what they say, they believe in them. They do what they say, even if they have anything against them they're so stricken with fear they obey despite what their conscious tells them. They're afraid, they've been beaten into a state of fear with no hope of being able to do anything to stop and reverse what has happened. They also rely on Government to protect them, believing that Government is almighty and good. They have put trust into their Government that should never have been bestowed. As long as they get food on their table (gmo or not), get to watch the new American Idol episode, gossip about what bull# celebrity news is going around they could give a crap less about what happens. They care for here and now, they think not about the future for themselves or the generations ahead. They won't think twice about Government until men in armor are dragging them away for saying they disagree with a certain law. They care only for themselves and not for their fellow man.

Went into a bit of a rant, sorry.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Preacher76

As I said, I'm not one to really go outside anyway, so they wouldn't be hearing much from me in the ways of 'gunshots'.

However, if they would try to put microphones in my home, I assure you they'd be trying their damnedest to get them out again. All they would hear was sparkleflaming conversation and weird gay sex.

In fact, let me be the first person to experiment on, you'll have your rights back by the next morning.

However, in all seriousness, I do understand the worry about it, no one should have to be recorded or listened in upon, especially as unecessarily as in public places. Shots are going to be heard by anyone in surrounding houses, especially in cities, the cameras and microphones are un-needed.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Transitarian

As I said, I'm not one to really go outside anyway, so they wouldn't be hearing much from me in the ways of 'gunshots'.

However, if they would try to put microphones in my home, I assure you they'd be trying their damnedest to get them out again. All they would hear was sparkleflaming conversation and weird gay sex.

In fact, let me be the first person to experiment on, you'll have your rights back by the next morning.

However, in all seriousness, I do understand the worry about it, no one should have to be recorded or listened in upon, especially as unecessarily as in public places. Shots are going to be heard by anyone in surrounding houses, especially in cities, the cameras and microphones are un-needed.

lmao. Hypothetically speaking if microphones were placed in my home I don't think I could easily get rid of them lawfully. Gay sex isn't really something on the table for me seeing as I'm straight. The person on the other side of the microphone and camera would probably enjoy himself, I play good music loudly a lot and don't really tend to do weird # other than the occasional masturbation session.

Honestly though I'm still laughing at your reply. I'm glad we see it the same way though.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I'm glad, it was meant to be amusing!

But really, the whole microphone bit seems kind of pointless in my opinion. Great, so they may catch gunshots easier. Wonderful, now tell me how a normal human ear can't do that? Most of the time it's in an urban/suburban area. I'm pretty sure people will be hollering all over the place if a shot went off.

I swear, the things that some of these government folk would do.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'd like to see someone defend this.

*waiting*

Theres ALWAYS someone willing to defend our rights being trampled on.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
USA is becoming a nazi state. I feel for you guys. Its happening and you are all kinda going along with it.

those will fail, why? thugs target practice...c'mon, unless they have a automated search-and-find death ray on them, there are cheap and creative ways to put them out of action if the SHTF
but the " becoming a nazi state" thing...yeah, it sure is leaning that way with the patriot act and the NDAA not being severly edited and changed
edit on 22-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Bingo.

Well, I sure do agree with you there. First things first.... stop the TSA from their "enhanced pat downs". We should not be treated like terrorists in order to fly.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

At least currently, it sounds like the system is used to locate gunshot fire in urban areas, which usually involves the bad guys.

Can't speak for this particular system, but these systems have been put in place in "urban" areas with high instances of gun violence, literally, for years. They can't pick up a conversation, they are designed to pick up gunfire, and as such, only a super high decibel sound would trigger them. I've seen them referenced on "The first 48" and I'm pretty sure even "cops"

The goal of the system, at least the ones I'm talking about, is to aid law enforcement in locating where the shots were fired, as a 911 call, if they even get one, is rarely a reliable locator. These systems can at least give a direction and range. That's the goal.

Ripe for abuse? Sure, everything is. Pointless? I don't know, they'd have to provide statistics on how effective these are at helping apprehend suspects. Much like the police, they aren't designed to stop gun violence as such, but to act as a deterrent as they will aid in catching you.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Transitarian

Wonderful, now tell me how a normal human ear can't do that? Most of the time it's in an urban/suburban area. I'm pretty sure people will be hollering all over the place if a shot went off.

Answered your own question, firstly, the human ear isn't a microphone, each human ear has it's own quirks, staying mostly within a range we are familiar with. Witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Unless you've got an EYE witness to the shooting (who rarely helps the police) you are relying on random peoples hearing.

A computerized system removes those variables, gives you an exact time stamp, frequency and direction of the sound.

So, for example, get your buddy to go 5 blocks away from you in a random direction, wait 10 minutes, and then fire a shot into the air. try to locate him within a block. good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Assuming something like this was explicitly stated to be legal by the constitution, then what would be your objection to having them potentially listen in on your conversations?

If you don't talk about having done anything criminal, then there's no harm done right?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Double

edit on 22-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join