It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Looks To Install Microphones In "Urban Areas" That Can Listen to Conversations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If you live in a large urban area in the US you can look forward to another invasion of privacy by your federal government. Forget about the Patriot Act allowing eavesdropping on your phone calls. The fascists are now looking to eavesdrop on your conversations in public. The Orwellian nature of this program is unsettling.

According to a Request for Information (RFI) posted on the FedBizOpps website on January 18, the DHS, in tandem with the Secret Service, "Is seeking information on commercially available gunshot detection technologies for fixed site surveillance applications. Typical coverage areas are expected to be from 10s to 100s of acres per site, located within urban areas. Due to the secure nature of these sites, a high gunshot detection rate (>95%) is strongly desired while daily, operational monitoring of the system by external parties is undesirable."

Note that the location of the surveillance system will be in "urban areas," and will cover hundreds of acres per each unit, meaning the detection technologies are not merely being prepared for sensitive areas around the White House or the Capitol building.

I don’t know about you but I’m really tired of the continuous attacks against law abiding citizens in this country. These systems cost @$250,000 per mile. Does this seem like a good use of tax payer dollars? What might they be listening for anyway - political dissent maybe?

The tentacles of this evil regime (TPTB) have reached the state and local levels. I wouldn’t be surprised to see heavily armed DHS agents walking the streets before long.

While the systems are touted as "gunshot detectors," as the New York Times reported in May 2012, similar technology is already installed in over 70 cities around the country, and in some cases it is being used to listen to conversations.

"In at least one city, New Bedford, Mass., where sensors recorded a loud street argument that accompanied a fatal shooting in December, the system has raised questions about privacy and the reach of police surveillance, even in the service of reducing gun violence," states the report.
link

It’s only a matter of time before the courts allow recorded conversations picked up by these devices to be used against you in a court of law. The potential for abuse is unlimited.

Here come the THOUGHT POLICE!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So you mean to say this is above and beyond the "secret street lamps" that they have already been putting in place?????

I don’t know about you but I’m really tired of the continuous attacks against law abiding citizens in this country. These systems cost @$250,000 per mile. Does this seem like a good use of tax payer dollars? What might they be listening for anyway - political dissent maybe?

Alot of cash when states and feds are broke!!!! Also, as far as what they are being used for??? I think your spot on!!!

Buckle up folks, America has been taken over by foriegn bankers, and our future will be one of death and slavery, if we allow this to continue......
edit on 21-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

So you mean to say this is above and beyond the "secret street lamps" that they have already been putting in place?????

This may be part of the same program.

Isn’t it crazy how, between episodes of crapping on the constitution, they find ways to circumvent the constitution all together?

edit on 21-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Okay! See, Alex Jones was spot on once again! He talked about these streetlamps a few months ago.
I just wasnt aware of the abilities and costs involved. Not that it matters, but damn! Alex hit a gold mine, when he bought the domain name "Prison Planet"!

Maybe when us Americans take our country back, we can hang the likes of Eric Holder and Janet Napolitano from the street lamps they bought to spy on us?

Of course, we would give them a fair trial before they are convicted of treason first. Unlike, their unconstitutional kill list and NDAA, we will take the moral high ground and at least allow them a trial......

edit on 21-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If you coupled the available technologies for voice morphing along with this further government terrorism, it becomes quite easy to see the potential for abuse. You didn't say it?

"Oh yes you did, and here's the recording."

One need only look at what the CIA did with the Bin Laden video, for a close example.

If you are one of those audio engineers that ends up working in covert audio forensics, concocting BS like this, I feel for you when the people come. Actually, I don't feel for you at all. DIE.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
They are already at it, there was a thread posted around here saying the new Facebook app for android can record audio and video at anytime without consent. I went to update mine and sure enough it was there
*tap* Uninstalled

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Would the American people really accept this for peace and security against threats to their nation or would they consider it a step too far and protest against it by marching in the streets waving signs mostly saying enough is enough. It seems the American Government is pushing for total control in a more aggressive manner than has been done for years.
Paranoia has gripped the American Government for years and now it move to be the dominating force that is ready for the kill move. If true to form than the next stage will see a slow rise of a blanket martial law and troops patroling every neighborhood in each State. Will that be accepted or will the people have no more choice to even voice concern without been treated as suspiscious and rounded up for questioning down at the police station.

From my perspective as a UK citizen it seems overly excessive as new laws are pushed through without clarity of intent or subjected to a wide public vote because the Government tells the people what is best for them and its all for the peace and security of the American Country, peace and security is just the lastest buzzword trend to keep people towing the line without questioning why.

If the Worlds Governments continues its policy of being open and transparent, pretty soon it will not be seen at all. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd like to see someone defend this.

*waiting*

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

If the Worlds Governments continues its policy of being open and transparent, pretty soon it will not be seen at all. Go figure.

Damn man! That's just it! Other than our politicians lieing about how the banks have created the new slave class of the NWO, THEY HAVE BEEN TRANSPARENT!

People are in freakin denial at how bad our world governments have become! Being that you are in the UK, I could only wish that my fellow citizens in the US could see what you guys are dealing with. It seems that you folks get the iron bands around your wrists and ankles before we do, but yet, most of my fellow Americans, bury their heads in the sand and say, "Our government wouldn't do that to us."! Yet! They are doing it to us!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I dont think they are in denial... most people are either ignorant to the facts or feel hopeless to do anything

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

*waiting*

Me, too! I'd like someone to tell me why we need this; what justification is being used to defend the use of these tools. Couple this with the gun control efforts, the takeover of healthcare, the robbing of Social Security, NDAA, etc. and the big picture becomes apparent (at least to me and some of you)….

What they want to see is complete surrender!

That’s not going to happen!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceGG

I dont think they are in denial... most people are either ignorant to the facts or feel hopeless to do anything

Anyone who believes in the two party system is in fact, in denial........After all, I don't hear any government official of either party, warning us lowly citizens as to what they are planning for us......

Other than that, I agree!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Interesting OP, albeit troubling.

Apparently the UK is working on a CCTV camera that can scan you like TSA - from a light post in the street? It's like it's the first stationary robotic cop. Information? Like the big signs they put up on curves that tell everyone that they are going to fast? I can't imagine that is why.

Maybe gun control is to avoid people shooting them out. Much more expensive to fix than their predecessors - the non-talking, useful light in the night.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

*waiting*

If for no other reason that to play devil's advocate...

James G. Beldock, a vice president at ShotSpotter, said that the system was not intended to record anything except gunshots and that cases like New Bedford’s were extremely rare. “There are people who perceive that these sensors are triggered by conversations, but that is just patently not true,” he said. “They don’t turn on unless they hear a gunshot.”

Source

and

Federal and homeland security agencies too have embraced gunshot location systems and their benefits; notably the FBI successfully used a ShotSpotter gunshot location system during the 2003-2004 Ohio highway sniper attacks, in conjunction with the Franklin County Sheriff.

Source

Could the system be abused? Absolutely, like a lot of other technologies.

At least currently, it sounds like the system is used to locate gunshot fire in urban areas, which usually involves the bad guys.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

You simply adjust the gain on the trigger and you'll be hearing everything all the time. A squirrel fart would trigger it.

But I'll go along as soon as we have the same sensor set-up in congress hooked to a webcam. I mean, fair is fair, right?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You simply adjust the gain on the trigger and you'll be hearing everything all the time. A squirrel fart would trigger it.

Nope. Gunshot fire has an acoustic signature quite different from a squirrel (or rabbit) fart.

But I'll go along as soon as we have the same sensor set-up in congress hooked to a webcam. I mean, fair is fair, right?

I'll agree with you there.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

*waiting*

I'd like to see this implemented, because I know it's just a matter of time before some clever people pull off some great practical jokes on those who will monitor conversations.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

They won't use it to ease-drop the same way that TSA didn't abuse the naked body scanners at airports.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Could the system be abused? Absolutely, like a lot of other technologies.

At least currently, it sounds like the system is used to locate gunshot fire in urban areas, which usually involves the bad guys.

Obviously that’s not the case according to Times and the ACLU…

The Times has discovered that in at least one city, however, the system recorded a loud street argument. And the recording, which was made in New Bedford, Mass., is likely to be at issue in the case against two men charged with murder.

In addition to the apparently accidental eavesdropping reported by the Times, an important question is whether microphones can be remotely activated by police who want to listen to nearby conversations.
ACLU< br />
Obviously it is sensitive enough to pick up a loud conversation.

edit on 21-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
well if it wasnt allready obvious, the federal government is made up of a collection of paranoid delusionals, and they should be disarmed immediatley. if thats not bad enough , once they start hearing voices , they will be paranoid delusional schizophranics and every one of them should be committed . its for their own good.
edit on 1/21/2013 by IsawWHATtheyDID because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join