It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hmm , this must be how they modify the genetic code in the first place, although I can imagine alternative methodologies.

So they basically get a virus to break in and alter the DNA of the food, but leave that virus there without trying to kill it off? Or do they try to kill it but sometimes a few % of them are left dormant/alive?

link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by fenceSitter
Cauliflower Mosaic Virus (CaMV)

Ah so a viral pathogen is involved?

Well then, I guess it's possible it could infect us.
Because a virus allows this possibility.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

Sorry Muzzle, was going to answer you, I see you found it.

Yep, so they claim they just found this, I bet they knew.

Remember, the founders of Monsanto were into Eugenics.

The founder of Monsanto, John Francis Queeny

Knight of Malta John Francis Queeny, Founder of Monsanto, 1920s
(1859-1933)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/35281375b377.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 21-1-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

link   

I am not asking if its safe or not. That's beside the point.

All I want to know is how does eating a GM food cause my DNA to be hijacked and infected ?

There HAS to be a dormant virus involved right??

Viruses dont change your DNA?
Right?
edit on 21-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

I am not asking if its safe or not. That's beside the point.

All I want to know is how does eating a GM food cause my DNA to be hijacked and infected ?

There HAS to be a dormant virus involved right??

Viruses dont change your DNA

Yes they do.

How else does it hijack a cell and force it to reproduce copies of itself?

And how else would you gain resistances?
edit on 21-1-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

In short, sometimes.
Mutagen

link   

'They' say we can consume viral infected produce without causing harm but never in natural human history has this been a part of almost everything we eat!

I'm truly afraid to buy anything from the grocery store these days! I've already started planning my gardens for this year... just have to wait for spring!

Remember, eating Cauliflower infected with Mosaic Virus is not the same as eating
a food from seed that was gentically modified.

When you eat it naturally occuring your body has the ability to destroy it in the digestive system.

However, when you eat it as a GMO crop that has an altered viral gene, your body is invaded
like as with a Trojan Horse, unable to destroy it, and it lingers in your digestive system
with MicroRNA.

link   
Hmmm, sorry for the silly questions earlier, I may have spent 3yrs in advanced biology /biochemistry but I never really got into GM stuff since Im all over the place looking into everything.

However, after consideration and questioning aspects of this to determine whats going on, I am afraid that there may actually be some sort of negative potentials here we cannot even imagine at this early stage.

This is an unfortunate consequence of humans opening Pandora's Box, so to speak.

So are there any known cases of any type of animal being infected in any crazy ways eating these modified organisms yet? That's gonna be my next inquisition in hopes of learning more.

Sorry also for not just looking it up. I've been researching all morning, let me take a break and ask some stupid questions and you folks who are way into this topic hit me up with some info. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

'They' say we can consume viral infected produce without causing harm but never in natural human history has this been a part of almost everything we eat!

I'm truly afraid to buy anything from the grocery store these days! I've already started planning my gardens for this year... just have to wait for spring!

Remember, eating Cauliflower infected with Mosaic Virus is not the same as eating

When you eat it naturally occuring your body has the ability to destroy it in the digestive system.

However, when you eat it as a GMO crop that has an altered viral gene, your body is invaded
like as with a Trojan Horse, unable to destroy it, and it lingers in your digestive system
with MicroRNA.

Hmmmm, thanks for the tip.
I am going to have to research this now because you just opened two different doorways that obviously contain a ton of intricacies I am unaware of currently.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Look on the bright side.

We might get super-powers.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Haha! So much for avoiding 2hours of research!

Now....where are my Biochem materials?
This be complicated stuff yo.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
As it turns out this "scare" is completely irrelevant.

CaMV is endemic in commercial crops - haing it in GMO is not anythign new to the human food chain.

Scientists avert new GMO crisis

Perhaps the main criticism, however, was that the ubiquity of the CaMV 35S promoter
and related sequences means that its presence in GM plants is simply irrelevant. Roger
Hull, an emeritus research fellow at the John Innes Institute (Norwich, UK) and one of
the discoverers of the CaMV 35S promoter, for instance, had estimated that about 10%
of cauliflowers and cabbages at his local market were infected with CaMV. That data
were not new, having been gathered in the late 1980s as part of the approval process for
the release of the first recombinant plant pathogen in the UK. Furthermore, a typical
infected cell contained around 100,000 copies of the virus and its genome.
Transgenesis would add but one to five copies of the 35S promoter. In addition, says
Hull, plants are “loaded” with potentially mobile DNA—such elements making up
close to 50% of the genome in some cereals. Historically, therefore, humans have been
consuming CaMV and its 35S promoter at levels that are over 10,000 times greater than
those in uninfected transgenic plants.

Wow - thank heavens for actual science to cut through the BS!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Agreed. There are way too many unknowns when it comes to GMOs. Who knows how these man-mutated genes could be further mutated in nature. It could be harmless but it could cause major problems and by the time companies like Monsanto can no longer keep it covered up, it could cause ongoing health issues across the globe. I'm not a gambling man so I'd rather not take any chances when it comes to my food.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

with MicroRNA.

do you have any evidence that the "version" in GMO has any different resistance to the digestive process than the "natural" version?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What I hate about all the news and findings, is no one does anything about it. It doesnt get a huge response from our employees/elected ones.

In a real world, immediately all this would be stopped, and culled, the guilty brought to justice, old food stocks brought out to feed people, and emergency rations if necessary and heritage seeds rolled out, with local houses being immediately given permissions to erect greenhouses, overturning city ordinances, and teams in every area, getting food grown immediately in emergency.

That is how I would handle this.

And commercial hemp can be grown in 3 months and turned into oil for diesel vehicles in 2 days, so, that would be done quickly, not to mention HHO. So that all this extra work would be inexpensive.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Muzzle,

I think a major key to understanding how this works lies in the previous research
with the RNA.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5469c2b5b2e6.jpg[/atsimg]

GM plants, such as soybean, corn, cottonseed, and canola, have had foreign genes forced into their DNA. The inserted genes come from species, such as bacteria and viruses, which have never been in the human food supply.

Genetic engineering transfers genes across natural species barriers. It uses imprecise laboratory techniques that bear no resemblance to natural breeding, and is based on outdated concepts of how genes and cells work.[4] Gene insertion is done either by shooting genes from a "gene gun" into a plate of cells or by using bacteria to invade the cell with foreign DNA. The altered cell is then cloned into a plant. www.responsibletechnology.org...

The genetic engineering process creates massive collateral damage, causing mutations in hundreds or thousands of locations throughout the plant's DNA.[5] Natural genes can be deleted or permanently turned on or off, and hundreds may change their behavior.[6] Even the inserted gene can be damaged or rearraranged
www.responsibletechnology.org...

Its not only viruses they insert, but bacteria also.

The five major varieties—soy, corn, canola, cotton, and sugar beets—have bacterial genes inserted, which allow the plants to survive an otherwise deadly dose of weed killer. Farmers use considerably more herbicides on these GM crops and so the food has higher herbicide residues. About 68% of GM crops are herbicide tolerant.

The second GM trait is a built-in pesticide, found in GM corn and cotton. A gene from the soil bacterium called Bt (for Bacillus thuringiensis) is inserted into the plant’s DNA, where it secretes the insect-killing Bt-toxin in every cell. About 19% of GM crops produce their own pesticide. Another 13% produce a pesticide and are herbicide tolerant. www.responsibletechnology.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
But if I am not mistaken plant and human or even plant and animal viruses are not proven to even exist. I have only found one study where someone in France said a plant virus was found in stool samples of people who said they felt fever aches so on. But that plant virus is from hot peppers. Someone who eats a hot pepper would feel fever aches so on. So most would not even give the study any credit for being factual.

www.popsci.com...

From rabies to bird flu to HIV, diseases passing from animals to humans is a well-known phenomenon. But a virus jumping from plants to humans? Never. At least, that's what doctors thought until Didier Raoult of the University of the Mediterranean in Marseilles, France, discovered that the mild mottle virus found in peppers may be causing fever, aches, and itching in humans. If validated, this would mark the first time a plant virus has been found to cause problems in people.

Plant viruses are routinely found in human feces, along with the digested plant matter they infected. Based on that presence, Raoult interviewed 304 people about how frequently they suffered from fever, abdominal pain, and skin irritation. Of the 304 patients, the 21 people with pepper mild mottle virus in their feces were more likely than the others to present those symptoms.

pepper mild mottle virus
en.wikipedia.org...

The Pepper Mild Mottle Virus is the major viral pathogen of peppers (Capsicum spp.).[

So do you have any symptoms after eating hot peppers? You are infected with a plant virus? I don't know how they can even say that.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You mean Roger Hull on the Scientific Advisory Panel for the EPA? (epa.gov). Sorry if I sound skeptical. If the CaMV is found in 10% of cabbage and cauliflower then chances of me ever ingesting it is extremely remote. I'm not saying a 3rd of a single gene sequence from CaMV will cause health issues but if it is contained within the majority of GMO crops which are in the majority of processed foods, chances are we are all consuming a much higher quantity.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Not being in the sane world, this is mentioned then forgotten and a few years later it will be brought out again as if its new.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks I didn't even know that bacteria could also be applied in this.

I speculated such things but didn't know if it was scientifically feasible.
Tyvm for the link and the info.

Appreciate the assist.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

That paper you linked to is 12 years old !!!

So much for you paying attention to the latest research.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join