It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+137 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

IndependentScienceNews

How should a regulatory agency announce they have discovered something potentially very important about the safety of products they have been approving for over twenty years?

In the course of analysis to identify potential allergens in GMO crops, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has belatedly discovered that the most common genetic regulatory sequence in commercial GMOs also encodes a significant fragment of a viral gene

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.es.landesbioscience.com
digitaljournal.com
www.bioscienceresource.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Researchers Prove GMO Foods Alter Organ Function: A Very Real Health Threat To Humans
Genetically Engineered Food Alters Our Digestive Systems!
New Mystery Crop Plague, Monsanto, And The Threat To The Entire Food Chain
Toxin from GM crops found in human blood
edit on 21-1-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

+91 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This new research proves that Genetically Modified food crops
contain altered Genes that are not safe for human consumption,
specifically Gene VI, as it has already been shown in research to be active on it's
own to disable their host in order to facilitate pathogen invasion.

The viral gene achieves this by incapacitating specific anti-pathogen defenses.
Therefore, incorporating these viral genes clearly leads to undesirable and unexpected
outcomes in humans, animals and plants, such as allergies, asthma, tumors, toxicity,
cancers, death, and crop failures

Furthermore, viruses that infect plants are often not that different from viruses that infect humans. For example, sometimes the genes of human and plant viruses are interchangeable, while on other occasions inserting plant viral fragments as transgenes has caused the genetically altered plant to become susceptible to an animal virus

Thats the short version, for all of you who want the technical details,
I have linked the studies below, as well as threads.

Nearly every processed food contains either GMO corn
or GMO soy, produced en masse in the U.S. and the E.U.

The implications are beyond staggering, as GMO
foods were put in
mass production since 1994.

Dont count on the regulators to save you, or make your
food safe.
We have countless alphabet agencies,
and the revolving doors in Washington and Wall Street
keep on turning. The E.U. and The U.S are hand in hand.

We instinctively know that we have been fed poision,
even as the evidence is suppressed by the media,
and the agencies try to con us with the Food Safety Act.

So...why are they still selling it as safe?

Not buying it, dont buy it, dont eat it!

Art by David Dees David Dees Illustrations

independentsciencenews.org< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-1-2013 by burntheships because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Oh! So that's how the zombie apocalypse starts.

Thanks for the thread.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This does explain a lot of what I've been seeing in friends my age & younger.
Many of them have been diagnosed with Auto-Immune viruses, whatever that means.

Their immune systems are malfunctioning severely, they all eat blindly too, the naive who blindly trust the food corporations and regulatory agencies.

I try to do what I can, I shove the Aspartame sweeteners, Sponge Bob canned poisons, & GMO corns & soy to the back wall of the shelves they're on in the markets. People won't buy what they can't see I figure.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

The stock boys must hate you man, why you gotta mess up a brother's day to prove a point no one will know about anyway?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
This does explain a lot of what I've been seeing in friends my age & younger.
Many of them have been diagnosed with Auto-Immune viruses, whatever that means.

Their immune systems are malfunctioning severely,

This means the viral genes are working, they have disabled the host.
Its tragic, I guess this means soft kill. They dont kill us outright, just slowly.

Tell them to eat non GMO whole food that is not processed,
before its too late their bodies may recover.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

I do feel bad for the stock boys & girls, I use to be one of them.

If I can give 1 person even 10 minutes more of life by hiding their favorite daily poisons while they shop that week, then screw the stock boys.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why am I having a hard time believing that this is just now being discovered? Maybe by the people in the OP, but I don't believe the originators didn't know about this.

And yet will even this information be enough to stop them?
Nope.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

If they would care to think about it, otherwise they are just mindless slaves.
Pass it on.
Its really up to us to spread the word, the media will supress it.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The article is dishonest.

the "viral gene" is not new, and is well known.

Multiple variants of the Cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter (P35S) are used to drive the expression of transgenes in genetically modified plants, for both research purposes and commercial applications.
- from the abstract of the paper linked in the article

the purpose of hte paper was to:

The present paper investigates whether introduction of P35S variants by genetic transformation is likely to result in the expression of functional domains of the P6 protein and in potential impacts in transgenic plants.

Ie does the use of this gene sequence result in an actual functional production of protein, or even might it possibly?

And what did they find??

No relevant similarity was identified between the putative peptides and known allergens and toxins, using different databases.

NOTHING!

From a literature study it became clear that long variants of the P35S do contain an open reading frame, when expressed, might result in unintended phenotypic changes. A flowchart is proposed to evaluate possible unintended effects in plant transformants, based on the DNA sequence actually introduced and on the plant phenotype, taking into account the known effects of ectopically expressed P6 domains in model plants.

nonetheless there is the possibility that there may be unintended consequences, so they propose a system for evaluate what they might POSSIBLY be.

I am nto at all sorry to shoot down your scaremongering.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Tell them to eat non GMO whole food that is not processed, before its too late their bodies may recover.

Have you tried to tell people this stuff with success?
Maybe 1 in 30 I've told will actually look further into what I've told them.

I've had to practically hold down friends and force them to watch documentaries on GMO foods. The success I have had with friends was that they changed their diets and some lost over 100lbs effortlessly.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ok I just have a basic question and would like to know how this works.
So don't be a jerk plz.

How does a genetic mutation in the DNA of food I eat cause my DNA to be infected?
Is there an actual virus inside there dormant or what?

Because I am under the impression that the chemicals in my stomach destroy the composition of any DNA chains in the food I eat no matter what it was, and revert it to it's base protein structures?

So I am afraid I am either confused and ignorant, or that I am right and this is a huge misunderstanding.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
"The researchers themselves concluded that the presence of segments of Gene VI “might result in unintended phenotypic changes”

Phenotypic definition
www.thefreedictionary.com...

"The observable physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism, as determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences."

So? According to this article this Gene can change biochemical characteristics? Meaning they can manipulate your emotions by changing your body's chemicals. I all ready knew they had been doing this just by adding chemicals to our food but now they have done it on a genetic level. So now you dont have to eat those chemicals your body will naturally do what those added chemicals wear meant to do because of this viral gene found in GMO foods? You could turn a whole population into emotional zombies, as well as their kids. Is this what we are facing?
edit on 21-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Ironic that it happened as they set out to prove it safe, is it not?
They might not have counted on natures blow back, being the crops
are failing and the bees are dissapearing. Scary huh!

And they have a choice now, yet somehow I dont think they are going to do
what is right by the people, its 20 years down the road.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Interesting post...hmmm.

Have any idea how to answer my question I posted above?
Sheesh I feel way out of the loop on this one.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am not asking if its safe or not. That's beside the point.

All I want to know is how does eating a GM food cause my DNA to be hijacked and infected ?

There HAS to be a dormant virus involved right??

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Great info OP - thanks! S&F

I've never been great with biology so most of the technical info is a little over my head but I did find this article from 2001 - link. Looks like they've know for a long time that the Cauliflower Mosaic Virus (CaMV) has been used in GMO and there have always been questions as to if it is actually safe to consume.

...researchers from the John Innes Centre (JIC) for plant research in Great Britain have again claimed that the Cauliflower Mosaic Virus (CaMV) promoter used to genetically modify virtually all of the transgenic crops now marketed or being tested for marketing has been proven to be safe for human consumption because humans have been consuming virus infected crucifers for a long time. It is worth pointing out that virus infected crucifers are not tasty items and they are avoided by most animal predators including humans.

'They' say we can consume viral infected produce without causing harm but never in natural human history has this been a part of almost everything we eat!

I'm truly afraid to buy anything from the grocery store these days! I've already started planning my gardens for this year... just have to wait for spring!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
Cauliflower Mosaic Virus (CaMV)

Ah so a viral pathogen is involved?

Well then, I guess it's possible it could infect us.
Because a virus allows this possibility.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

The success I have had with friends was that they changed their diets and some lost over 100lbs effortlessly.

Yes, I can relate....its a losing battle most of the time.

Reach the few that you can!

Let the rest march off the cliff.....nothing you can do then.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I know that certain drugs like steroids are capable of penetrating the cell wall and altering the structure of DNA, so can diseases like syphilis. Outside of that though i couldn't say but would love to know as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join