It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should homosexual PE teachers be allowed in the locker rooms of the same sex?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Speaking from experience I thought it was tradition to have two really butch female PE teachers barking orders at semi and naked girls.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
"Not really sure why you're having difficulty with this?"

I dont have any difficulty with this, i think i have made my opinion rather clear.

Gay, straight, bi-curious is nothing to do with it.

Its just how i feel on the matter. Probably due to the fact that i had a really creepy gay pervy PE teacher! I think its a mine field even if the teacher is beyond reproach.
edit on 22-1-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Speaking from experience I thought it was tradition to have two really butch female PE teachers barking orders at semi and naked girls.

No doubt.

But I never cared much for tradition

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Sounds to me like your teacher was a pedophile with the whole 'permanent hard on' bit...

but if he was just a creepy gay teacher, he was just one person. Bad apples in all orientations. We don't attribute the actions of a bad hetero teacher to all heteros do we?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

"We don't attribute the actions of a bad hetero teacher to all heteros do we?"

Suppose not but one does form opinions over the years.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Of course.

And good opinions are ones that invite challenge and scrutiny.

That's what makes an educated opinion educated

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Of course they should. What do people think? That because a teacher is gay he / she will be perving on the pupils? I can't believe questions like this are still asked in this day and age. Homosexual, disabled, religious, whatever - it shouldn't matter. The only relevent questions concern whether or not they are capable of doing the job they are employed to do, at least in my opinion.

If any in those categories lets their lifestyle conflict with their work (say for example, a homosexual teacher that does start perving or a religious person that starts preaching to their colleagues) then that is unprofessional behaviour in the workplace and should be treated as such.

Any other approach and we are getting into thought Police and discriminatory behaviour territory again.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by NavyDoc

Who is being told to "just deal with it"? And deal with what? The question posed is should gay PE teachers be allowed in the locker room, NOT in the shower or examining the student's private parts... If anything inappropriate takes place, it's illegal and can be reported.

Disallowing gay PE teachers in the locker room would be a suggestion that gay people are more likely than straight people to do something reprehensible. I don't buy it.

The point is, that everyone who is not happy with the situation seems to be called a "homophobe" and to "get over it." What I have been trying to point out is that there are legitimate and comfort and privacy levels on both sides of the issue and that it is not just "prejudice" by one group on another.

There is no easy answer, if we want everyone's privacy concerns to be respected. We could have seperate facilities for everyone and every gender and every orientation, but I think we can all agree is impractical. The other answer would to have single facilities that every one uses like in "Starship Troopers" regardless of gender and orientation and expect everyone to behave themselves, but I don't see society as ready for that right now.

Like I said: valid points of view on both sides of the issue without an easy answer.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

What are the legitimate concerns though? As people have pointed out, a teacher is a teacher regardless of their sexual orientation.
If they do something illegal or break the teacher/student bond/code then that is an issue and people can deal with it when it arrises.
To somehow think because a teacher is gay, that your kids are more at risk than they would be with hetero teachers, IS unfounded, homophobic nonsense.

Crime is crime, perverts are perverts, paedophiles are paedophiles.

All issues completely separate from the sexual orientation of the teacher.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels
reply to post by NavyDoc

What are the legitimate concerns though? As people have pointed out, a teacher is a teacher regardless of their sexual orientation.
If they do something illegal or break the teacher/student bond/code then that is an issue and people can deal with it when it arrises.
To somehow think because a teacher is gay, that your kids are more at risk than they would be with hetero teachers, IS unfounded, homophobic nonsense.

Crime is crime, perverts are perverts, paedophiles are paedophiles.

All issues completely separate from the sexual orientation of the teacher.

You could say the exact same things above about a male teacher using and monitoring female students in the locker room/shower.

However, some people are uncomfortable with sharing facilities with people with different sexual orientations just as they are uncomfortable with sharing facilities with members of the opposite gender.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Of course they should. What do people think? That because a teacher is gay he / she will be perving on the pupils? I can't believe questions like this are still asked in this day and age. Homosexual, disabled, religious, whatever - it shouldn't matter. The only relevent questions concern whether or not they are capable of doing the job they are employed to do, at least in my opinion.
reply to post by Flavian

I can believe questions like this are asked in the day and age created by the media.
Homosexual/disabled/religious/whatever it still matters no matter what the TV idiots portray as normal in this day and age.

Any other approach and we are getting into thought Police and discriminatory behaviour territory again.

And that is why myself and probably a lot of posters and lurkers won't argue with you like we would like to.
I am disabled (severely) but I never pull that card and never will.

I have some very good first hand experiences I would like to post here but your above quote makes me think I am a bank robber or worse just for thinking it.

Lucky for us here we don't do TV so the "Thought Police" and the "Discriminatory behaviour" crap won't cut it much here.

I will give you this though, If you quit screaming about your rights I just might give my first hand account about what we witnessed more than twenty times at a neighbours home.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Homosexual/disabled/religious/whatever it still matters no matter what the TV idiots portray as normal in this day and age.

Well then help us out.

Portray what is normal for us.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Iwinder

Well then help us out.

Portray what is normal for us.

You are not leaving any room for discussion, as you know I cannot help you out.
Loaded post and you really don't want to hear anything that goes against your thoughts/ideals.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You just confused posters. Look again

If you don't want to have a discussion that is perfectly okay.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Iwinder

You just confused posters. Look again

If you don't want to have a discussion that is perfectly okay.

You are correct I did confuse my posts, but you do know what I am talking about because you never challenged my post to Flavian.

I apologize for misdirecting my post........No harm meant but my post stands as written.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 22-1-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

but you do know what I am talking about because you never challenged my post to Flavian.

I don't see much in that post to be challenged.

You didn't present an argument. You suggested you had things to say..

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'd say yes, within reason.

All same-sex gym teachers should be allowed in appropriate locker rooms for practical purposes.

However, it would not be acceptable if they stood there and stared at the learners showering.

Even when I was in school (and open homosexuality was taboo in SA, and the acts illegal) gym teachers would not enter the shower room, unless guys were making a big noise or having a fight.
This never really happened.
Playing sport has a way of controlling energy.

Pedophiles existed, but from what I heard they were more active in a one-on-one situation, where they could could manipulate and win trust, but rarely in schools themselves.

In a normal school that behavior could easily be exposed.

Maybe times have changed, and people even have to worry about secret cameras and phones nowadays.

It's sad really, because nudity was once a normal feature of masculinity, that was non-sexual.
For most of the history of swimming in the US, for example, nudity was the norm (woolen trunks clogged up pool filters).
voices.yahoo.com...
Although I can't post the pics here, some male swimming events were held nude before gender mixed audiences.
The idea was that men never had anything to be ashamed of.
Towards the late 1960s however a new body consciousness and ideas of gender equality made boys and men increasingly uncomfortable about the issue, although it persisted regionally for another decade.

Ironically, the hyper-sexualization of the world since the Internet has caused much anxiety and prudishness, and so did the end of male-only clubs and spaces since feminism.

In my day male gym teachers were the toughest, most militaristic males in the school, and some of them were physically abusive (although not sexually).
I'd say their effect on me as a young gay male was damaging in certain ways, far more profoundly and lasting than showers.
edit on 23-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Please enlighten me then. You obviously are entitled to your opinion - it is one i simply do not understand. If you could shed some insight then i may be able to see where you are coming from.

Again though, for me it is very simple. People should be judged on their actions, not on their beliefs / views. I am very curious as to why someone would have a differing opinion about this so i really would be interested in hearing your views.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Holy crap guys I leave for a movie and this topic gets moved to 3 different forums?!?!

Ok you guys are getting a little off topic when talking about nudism and nude activities but that does raise a valid point. Especially when equating nudism with sex.

If you think sex DOES NOT go on in NUDE beaches or NUDIST resorts, I beg to differ. You can find the videos of that proof all over the internet.

That's why at nudist resorts where children are allowed the guardians are VERY wary of what is going on in their kids surroundings, and if any inappropriate acts are portrayed by the adults they are usually banned from coming back. I wish that as a society we wouldn't equate nudity with sex as I am really comfotable with my body but in America we aren't as progressive as Europeans like German FKK, Italians, or Ukrainians, or French (Anybody ever heard of Cap'd Adge? The nudist city in southern France?).

But that is all off topic... Since most nudist beaches in the US are littered with syringes and you'll see 10 guys hovering around you if you bring your girlfriend making certain hand gestures on their body, or (no offence to homosexuals) a big amount of them are gay nude beaches for PnP like the one in San Fran then I guess the US isn't ready for it.

Therefore most average americans aren't desencitized by the nude body and will be turned on by it. I'll admit that if I was watching 18 year old seniors at a highschool showering that it WOULD stir me up, as it would most men around here. So if you are attracted to the naked body of a sex regardless of your orientation and you were in charge of the area where you have the most access to see what turns you on, certain people would be too weak NOT TO get aroused and perhaps too weak NOT TO act on it.

So until we have more body acceptance in America I still see this as an issue that NOBODY has really addressed and am frustrated that it has been knocked down from Poly madness to general chit chat. I'm glad it hasn't closed yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

But looking and acting are two different things. Straight and gay teachers may also get 'stirred up' when looking at 'seniors' as you put it. We can't police people's thoughts, we can't know what goes on in their heads an we can ONLY do something when we're aware of an issue or when the teacher acts inappropriately.
We're not the thought police and we can't ever wish to be.

This is not a gay or straight issue, no matter how much you want it to be.
It's a child protection and safety issue and your idea/proposal that 'gays' shouldn't be allowed in locker rooms is just thinly veiled bigoted nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join