It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Resorts to Hangings in Public to Cut Crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

TEHRAN — An eerie silence filled the air as a crowd of around 300 gathered Sunday just before sunrise in a Tehran park. They awaited the arrival of two young men who were about to die.

The condemned stood shoulder to shoulder, motionless, in front of two police trucks with two nooses hanging from extendable cranes, about 15 feet high. Black-clad executioners were inspecting the remote controls they would use to hang the men, both in their early 20s, who were convicted of stabbing a man in November and stealing his bag and the equivalent of $20.

From behind a makeshift barrier of scaffolding, the crowd jostled for position. “Let’s move to the other side,” one spectator whispered to his wife, pointing to the spot where Iranian state television cameras had been set up. “I think we will have a better view from there.”

Although every year hundreds of convicts are hanged in Iran, a public hanging in a central park in Tehran is a rare event. Most hangings take place inside prisons, according to Iranian judicial officials and international human rights

This is quite a long article so it would be huge if I linked it all, so you'll have to read the article from the source link for all the details.

-- So it appears Iran is having a problem with rising crime rates, and their ideas to curb these crimes is to have public hangings of the criminals in the central park of tehran. The article said around 300 people showed up to watch these 2 men die.

What was their crime? They were caught on video surveillance stabbing and robbing a man. Now this is a serious crime no matter how you slice it, but it seems that a lot of these crimes are being committed by the younger generation in Iran, due to their crippled economy. The gap of Iran's rich and poor is the highest it has been for a long time. The sanctions imposed on Iran has taken its toll, and it seems it has driven crime up substantially.

My question is, will that type of capital punishment(public hangings) actually help curb the crime in Iran? As I don't live there, I'm not sure how bad a crime has to be to constitute being hanged in public, but do you guys think this form of capital punishment will work? And a far fetched question, do you see this type of punishment coming back to the US?

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 1/21/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Another member on this site linked an article that said capital punishment did deter crime, it made a compelling argument. I dont like to admit this but for murder and rape I actually condone it.

Apart from the public spectacle part looks like Iran got something right

P.s tried to find the linked article I mentioned but couldnt find it

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
divides in wealth should not be an excuse for stabbing someone but they were probably heroine addicts and psycopaths who have been made an example of.
Can't see this happening anytime soon in the US lol. The rest of the western world has stopped executing people full stop, so i dont see the US following the lead of a developing nation such as Iran with regards to where they execute those on death row.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

US and its allies sanctions are most likely a direct cause to the rising crime in Iran at the moment. Their plan all along was to cripple their economy and from it to increase chaos within Iran, so another job well done to the West...

Evil, immoral, corrupt scumbags the West is, same goes for any Gov't but the West more so than any other. Now will public hangings curb the rising violent crime in Iran? Perhaps, but the whole idea makes me sick and reeks of medieval times. Did crime go down in those days? Either way, disgusting and we can thank the US Gov't for this who I'm sure will do their best to boost their anti Iran propaganda and "show" the world how evil and backwards Iran is

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am beginning to believe that there is sometimes the right scenario to use capitol punishment. A recent article I read in the british press where a sleeping baby was stabbed to death has made me change my view from otherwise not believing in this punishment. I do not think that it should be done in public though.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
call me crazy, but i agree with iran on this one.
people wouldnt be so quick to commit crime if the end result was a public hanging instead of a cozy cell..
and seeing a hanging in real life would certainly deter you.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Fair enough on public and your reason for reconsideration is precisely why my feelings about the Death Penalty have always been supportive. I think the WAY it's administered and the whole system which delivers it right now is hopelessly FUBAR....but there are absolutely some human beings where it can be said the world gets just a little better when they leave it.

Personally, if we can ever get the system of prosecution and evidence for capital cases worked out ...I don't want public like the 1800's here with hangings in the public square as entertainment ..such as it was. However, publicly ACCESSIBLE? Yes. There ought to be something like NASA-TV for a dedicated single use channel which does nothing BUT activate to cover executions happening in prisons around the nation, as they occur.

If people can't stomach seeing it then by God don't support DOING it......on the other hand, the citizens should be able to see what is done in our name and in service to our 'best interests'. Hiding it like some deep dark secret isn't the way, IMO.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well, in some cases I'm all for the method Iran used, but for lesser crimes, it needs to follow a judicial process like in the US, even though the US doesn't have the greatest system lol.

Swills is right, and It's the hunch I had, that this was part of the overall plan to put sanctions on Iran, and disrupt the nation from within. It seems to be working..
edit on 1/21/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think you may have misunderstood me a little, when I mean no public executions, I mean like in the middle of the park like they have done in Iran. Children must never be exposed to this. Witnessing the event by application or invitation on the other hand is acceptable.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

But that guy was obviously a complete mental case and I doubt any potential punishment will be going through someone that crazy's head. sometimes a life in prison is worse than death as there are way more suicides per person in prison than outside.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

But anybody that is capable of such a crime should never be exposed to anybody that they can repeat such a crime on. If that means capital punishment, then so be it.

CX

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I thought they had often done this, i'm sure i've seen pics of hangings in front of sports crowds before.

CX.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You are right but life in solitary would prevent any further crimes and stop any innocents being executed. Just my opinion as I have been wrongly convicted of a minor assault once myself although I was A kid myself at the time and it was suposedly on a man, not a baby.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If only Saudi Arabia’s public beheadings had as much attention…
www.liveleak.com...

See also their cure for homosexuality….

A British man was arrested and beaten in Saudi Arabia by religious police when they discovered he was gay.
Stephen Comiskey, a 36-year-old nurse, was threatened with beheading and thrown in a cell, the Sun reports. www.pinknews.co.uk...

Look at this of countries, for the most part they (like Bahrain & Yemen) read like a list of allies.
www.nutzworld.com...

All I Am Saying…
Strange how human rights abuses in Iran are always near the front pages of your newspaper, whilst those of our allies are either in the back pages, or not mentioned at all.

As for Public Hangings…
Barbaric entertainment for the masses! Then again, if the U.S actually had the balls to televise its own executions, then that would be welcome in certainly help end the death penalty.
I disagree with the death penalty not because I don’t think evil people deserve to die, but because there too many miscarriages of justice.
See Georgia’s 2011 execution of Trot Davis en.wikipedia.org... he was clearly innocent, but the U.S legal system, by technicality, would not hear him out.

I Also Think...
Putting prisoners to sleep in an induced medical coma, and then using them in medal-scientific research would be a better way to save both human lives (and countless animals from terrible scientific treatments).

The problem with killing somebody only to achieve a dead body, is it is an eye for an eye, rather than recognizing that some people do become harmless by sincerely repenting during their Death Row wait, and others were always innocent.

link   
It will not work very well . In societies that have been lax on crime something like this would bring down crime rather a lot , but with Iran already being pretty draconian on crime I don't think it will hardly work at all .

All off humanity has to deal with a certain percentage of people who's heads just aren't wired the same as everyone else's and will do bad things no matter what you do to try to stop them. While killing them will definitely put a stop to any individual's errant ways , I've always thought finding a perfect balance between being hard on crime without earning the hatred of the people is one of the hardest jobs a government has .

link   
reply to post by eXia7

Public hangings in Iran are anything but rare.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by eXia7

Well, I was only going by the article, and that might be the case, but do you think it'll deter crime?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by eXia7

Well, I was only going by the article, and that might be the case, but do you think it'll deter crime?

Lets put it in perspective....

The death penalty does not deter crime, regardless of what country its allowed in, including the US. This is a line from the tv show The West Wing that hits the nail on the head, in my opinion anyways.

Leo McGarry: Oh, well then you're just as stupid as these guys who think that capital punishment is going to be a deterrent for drug kingpins. As if drug kingpins didn't live their day-to-day lives under the possibility of execution. And their executions are a lot less dainty than ours, and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process.

Religious undertones aside....

new topics

top topics

join