It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My view on Battlefield 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Battlefield 3

Console I played on: Xbox 360
Game Type: First Person Shooter
Multiplayer: Versus and Co-Op

Battlefield 3 is the latest in the Battlefield franchise and it does not disapoint although other peoples views may vary. Battlefield seems to have went to a more run and gun Call of Duty style in this game but this is not all bad as it still has some of its original classic features mixed in with a new twist to attract new fans to its franchise which is not always a bad thing, but in this case it is the only mistake that Battlefield 3 has made. I came from a background where i played Call of Duty 4 through Mw2 professionally and i know the sort of whiny kids that play those games which is why i turned to Battlefield for a change of scenery. I had dabbled in battlefield games before but none to this extent the one i played most before this ones i played most before this one were the Bad Companies. But to get back to the subject at hand Battlefield 3 is a visual masterpiece with stunning graphics and great crystal clear audio and truly deserves all the plaudits it has received.

Anyway onto the single player. The single played story for Battlefield 3 is both captivating and exhilarating. It is the best campaign i have played in an FPS for a long time. It is filled with great missions which sadly are pretty linear but not to the extent of Call of Duty. The missions require stealth or a tactical approach which i love, the campaign is pretty tough even on the regular difficulty but an experienced FPS player would have no problem with it. It has interesting turns and a surprising finish which keeps you engrossed until the very end, for fans of war games i would say that this campaign is a must play. With some challenging achievements.
Battlefield 3 has some pretty good co-op missions as well to compliment the great single player. These missions are stand alone missions that are to be played with a friend. They have some pretty hard to get achievements but are great fun. They can also be played through live with a complete stranger and these missions where you need to communicate are a great way to meet new people and make new friends through battlefield. Some require stealth and great sniping skills, where as others require some great fire fight tactics and team work.
The multiplayer does not disappoint on Battlefield 3 either. Conquest and Rush still remain for all those Battlefield veterans that love the franchise, the maps are impressive with a wide variety of vehicles to operate and control to make it a great experience and with all the new weapons and attachments it makes for a great game. Although some maps might not be that desirable for the old school player such as "Metro" which is set in a french subway system it is a very narrow and linear map which greatly benefits one spawn. that spawn being the one outside of the subway, but on the other game modes such as team deathmatch "Metro" is an action packed killfest with alot of corners for the patient camper and open spaces for the run and gunner. Although in deathmatch game modes there is alot of Call of Duty kids who attempt to drop shot with every opportunity but fail miserably as this is not an option in this game, theses type of player are the nemisis of the Battlefield veteran. But its not all bad as deathmatch favors the experienced battlefield player with far superior dynamics and movement to the CoD series and although they have tried to cater for the run and gun gamer the game still feels far more serious and a bit more realistic. Also with its Battlelog online the online experience with this game is so much more that what is offered with other FPS games in the market. Also with its vast array of downloadable content and Battlefield Premium it looks set to stay leagues ahead of its opposition.
In my opinion with this game Battlefield have surpassed the bar set by their rival Call of Duty and went far beyond it. This game is an incredible game and one of the most enjoyable games i have played for a long time. It has a great story for your average gamer and an online game that is easy to pick up for noobs and veterans alike. It is the best FPS to date, But bearing in mind that is only my opinion. I would strongly recommend this game to anyone.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I haven't played it online much, i did finish story though and i would say it is very good and at par if not slightly better then COD BO2, The COD franchise is getting kinda stale, and the online community that follow it are getting to be obnoxious. I really do enjoy BO2 online tho, probably because im actually decent at it. MW3 was just horrible. If you haven't tried BO2 yet i would give it a go, I am going home tonight to throw in BF3 and check out the online play some more, thanks for your thoughts and inspiring me to give it another go.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I play BF3 alot and it WOULD be the perfect game if they could get rid of little things that annoy like being able to shoot a aircraft with Lock on RPG after using your countermeasures, and the fact the PC version is full of cheaters that really spoil the game for anyone else who loves to play it.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
lol, sounds like you just picked this game up.. Battlefield has been my favorite series for PC gaming. I loved BF 1942, BF 2 and BC 2 amazing games!

But BF 3 is outstanding my favourite and only game I play, well have time for. I play it for PC cause it's way better than console. More people, waaayy better graphics. This game is meant to be played on max settings on 1080P it is beautiful! and ontop of the amazing graphics the game play is awesome. I did beat the single player twice once on reg, and other time on hard. It was truly an amazing experience. Now, Multiplayer.. Is fking amazing!!!!!! me and some buddies only play Rush makes some addrenline pumping action on 48 players. It gets really intense and I swear this game has the most intense moments, someitmes it's like in a movie where you have some crazy fire fights, bullets and rockets going all around you, than some "noob" in a tank trying to kill you, but you're running for ya life and get away hehe. I find rush so much more fun, if you have a good team and a good sq of buddies with mics, it's so much more fun. I find rush more tactical than CQ cause you have to rush go certain routes and use stealth and flank the enemy so your team is able to plant.

COD has nothing on this game, I haven't nor was interested in COD ever since COD 4, which was awesome back than. But, if your looking for a kick ass game to have fun with and a bigger maps. if you want an all out battle, play with 64 ppl. That gets waaaay to intense for me, I like just playing 48 ppl. it's an awesome game, have a few beers play with some buddies. it's deff worth the time to check out if any of you havn't already and deff play it on PC over console for the full effect!

Cheers.

edit on 21-1-2013 by live2beknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by live2beknown

Had it since its midnight release Lol, wrote this ages ago just thought i would start posting some stuff i write because they are just sitting in a folder on the laptop doing nothing, so thought id post some here so atleast they get read. I also posted one on my favourite game of all time "The Warriors" But no-one read it Lol

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

To be honest when I saw this post, I'm like oh great..I can't wait to read this..and what the Conspiracy is about..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I love Kharg Island

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Battlefield seems to have went to a more run and gun Call of Duty style in this game

Are you sure you even played this game? Sure, there are team death match and squad deathmatch modes that might remind you of call of duty, and all of the expansion packs except, arguably, armored kill, are cod on frostbite 2 engine....

It's about as far from run and gun as you get.

conquest mode is a BF staple. You have varying sized maps with a few different objective points that you have to hold with troops or vehicles for a short period to capture, once you control more flags than the enemy, they can't spawn in your controlled flag points, and they "bleed" tickets.

All of which takes place with tanks, jeeps, AA, helicopters and jets. Hardly run and gun.

Rush mode is an intense mode that sees a team have to attack a series of objectives called mcoms, two at a time, having to plant charges and blow them up to open the next area of the map, allowing you to advance on the next set of mcoms. Some Rush maps also include vehicles. CoD has nothing to answer to this.

Squad Deathmatch is similar to a team type deathmatch but each squad is pitted against the others, with only 1 armored vehicle available on the map.

There are no kill streak bonuses like airstrikes and other random BS.

But finally, a perfect example of how BF3 is so far beyond what CoD is that you can't even compare them:

You get 100 points for killing an enemy.

You get 10 points for spotting an enemy someone else kills
You get assist points for helping kill an enemy in perportion to the damage you did
You get a savoir bonus for killing an enemy that's attacking a teammate
You get an avenger bonus for killing an enemy that just killed a teammate.

In call of duty, the best you can really hope for is a headshot then a kill streak.

In BF3 you can get more points for NOT killing an enemy than you would for straight up killing him. All of the modes, even team deathmatch, require TEAMWORK.

You want to use a javelin to take out tanks or aircraft? You need some other play to "take one for the team" and spot for you while not getting kills.

The game is 100% better on the pc, but that's negated by the hacks that are not possible on the console versions.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

You cannot deny it is a lot more run and gun than the previous games in the franchise.

Also i know the scoring system is far superior and as for on PC the last battlefield i played on PC was Battlefield 2142.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

It's actually not.. CQ expansion is maybe, but rest of the maps you actually need to stop and aim, and take cover. It's very far from COD, you can't even say COD when talking about BF 3.

So, you either play TDM or SQTDM but No, I don't think this game is run and gun like COD.. I find the maps are well ballanced and have good strong points to either attack or defend. I love the vehicles, it makes the game Unique and feels like a battlefield. Jets are amazing, it's fun having another war in the sky, and heli's are amazing!! me and my buddy used to only play heli on Sharqi Peninsula or how ever you spell it. But my fav maps, for Rush of course.. is Bazaar hands down the best map, than I like Talah Market, I also like Seine Crossing and few others. Although I hate this map Dummavand peak, my fav part is when you jump off a high cliff and like Halo jump down and parachute. That's my favorite part of the map, which makes it awesome and unique. I find it more tactical, or maybe that's how me and my buddies play, no wonder we always on TOP
and I haven't noticed really any hackers, maybe one every so many servers. I play HC mode always, maybe all the hackers on Non HC for the noobs.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Single player was a joke. Same old song and dance. Terrorists, nukes, global conflict.

The only thing that shines is the multiplayer, but it doesn't even shine that much, especially on consoles.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimevoyager
Single player was a joke. Same old song and dance. Terrorists, nukes, global conflict.

I really enjoyed the SP on this game. I liked the story line especially thought it was very good considering most FPS games are linear and repetitive.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well at this point most 'modern warfare' FPS games are just the same. They never bring anything new or interesting. Sure they can polish it up and make the mechanics and graphics better, but when it comes to the story.. I just lacks anything new.

Just my 2 cents. Still a fun game. Nice review.

new topics

top topics

join