It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family traits that are not inherited...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I was thinking about this whilst gardening earlier this arvo... my bio Dad is a racist bigot, also a mason, borderline nazi...my bio Mum is in a league all of her own...nuff said there. I don't have contact with them because of what they are like and then I considered that might be a good thing, a good sign for society?

I am not racist and it sickens me when I have to hear of their attitudes. My poor half Bro...well Daddy dearest doesn't speak to him because 'he don't look right'... lol and omg I married a 'wog' etc...my Daughter is engaged to an Asian and 'that aint right' in his books either...but 'tolerates it' sheesh...

It worries me that this is where I come from and yet I am nothing like them...how is it possible that I did not become just like them?

I wanted to puke
earlier cos I saw a pic of my bio Daddy with all his mason get up on looking all swish and I thought, how bloody dare you stand there looking so smug when your a racist bigot?

I honestly look at my bio Parents and shake my head... I must be adopted cos how the hell did I come from these two?

sounds mean, but it is the truth.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

My dad used to be a racist homophobe back when it was trendy.
He's mellowed at lot since then and has black friends and a gay grandaughter !
Rather than me becoming like him, he's becoming like me. A strong mind is a good thing and you were obviously taught to think for yourself.
Well done for rising above it

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Race and racism are social constructs based on the phenotype (mainly skin colour, sometimes width of the nose or any other arbitrary variable) of other members of the same species perpetuated by people with too much time on their hands.

Racism and its opposite are not biological imperatives - you don't see tigers ostracising other tigers for how many stripes they have - so it stands to reason that your genes have absolutely no say in whether you become a racist later in life.

Genes can and do however influence how easily influenced you are, but that just changes how much you're shaped by your environment, not how you're shaped by your environment.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

interesting that you state he has mellowed over time.. I would have to say that that could have happened to my bio Dad... 10 years ago, there is no way he would have even tolerated an Asian. He has such a bad attitude towards anyone that is not white.

reply to post by Dispo

I don't know why I am so different from them... I grew up in the 70s in Australia and it was still pretty much 'white Australia' and no one at school or early work years showed a different attitude...obviously there was an undercurrant going on because there were a lot of changes to Immigration etc around that time.. even recognition of Indigenous People... at Primary School, there was only one Indigenous kid and she was adopted... there were no wogs any where even at High School.... oh yes there was... only 2.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
there were no wogs any where even at High School....

You just said you weren't racist. :O

I think the main issue is the social exposure you're not factoring in like the media and general attitudes etc. I'm sure if you would have grown up in the exact same time and place as your dad you would have ended up the same.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Wogs call themselves wogs here. Nothing derogatory about it.

Just like we call poms, poms..

-- note. I did not find the show or following tv series very funny. Nick Gianopolous is .. a one joke pony.. lol

edit on 21-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Originally posted by Thurisaz
there were no wogs any where even at High School....

I think the main issue is the social exposure you're not factoring in like the media and general attitudes etc. I'm sure if you would have grown up in thenot exact same time and place as your dad you would have ended up the same.

oh sorry I was just using the 'terminology' ... that is what it was like over here... there is even a movie called 'Wog Boy' ...

my Dad grew up in UK so not sure what would have happened if we had not moved to Australia.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I was called a white 'c*nt today...

I laughed about it but maybe that is what Australia has become? Foul mouthed?
and the speech is on the street, very politically incorrect?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

10 years ago, there is no way he would have even tolerated an Asian.

So while there may not be much hope.
There is a glimmer, and the language thing is just a hangup from the 70's. I defy him to not love his grandkids with all his heart.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Of course you don't "inherit" your parents values, but you are influenced by them, in one way or another. Good on you for having your own opinions,

Originally posted by Dispo

Perhaps he hasn't completely wiped his inheritance... yet :

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

What he said ^

Opinions aren't genetic. If they were, people in today's society would have exactly the same opinions that people did hundreds or thousands of years ago, and we all know that things have progressed since then.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I gave you s&f for being your own person and true to yourself, awesome

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Easy behavior is not always learned, but then again it could be learned in the way you say sheesh I'm never gonna be like my parents. So you learn by seeing the wrong they do, etc.

Anyway Rich Republican Masons are not secret about their crazy whacko bigotry and genocidal expectations. We know these people are seeking to euthanise half or more of the world.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

You have to look beyond the behaviors and look at the reasons underlying the behavior. You say your dad is a racist, he has strong feelings about something for a reason (of course we disagree with his feelings and see them at wrong). You are on a conspiracy website. Those traits were passed on but you use them in a different way. Your version of the trait causes you to think about conspiracies because that's what's in popular culture right now. His caused him to develop racism because that was in his popular culture at the time.

Just being on this forum would support the idea that those traits were passed on but manifested in different ways.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I asked my English spouse what a (your "W" word) was and I was shocked at his definition. Presuming he was pulling a mick on me (mick = joke) I checked the net and the top Wiki entry backed up what he said. Now, Wiki does give the meaning in various national groups - evenso, it's a "user beware" sort of word.

I find that daughters of racists tend to go the opposite way and that sons of racists tend to follow the family line. That is a generalization of course, but, is based on every person I've known with 2 exceptions ( one of each sex).

Some claim that ethics and morals are inherited. The family agrees. In my case, that is a 180 degrees - false. Perhaps I really was switched at birth as they have claimed since the day I was born - except I did inherit the family physical characteristics and medical genetics.

Which characteristics are 'genetic' and which are 'environment' is weird sometimes and the rules aren't set in gold (DNA).

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Racism is not hereditary; racism is taught, not inherited. You can inherit physical features: eye color, thickness of hair, type of nose, color of your skin, or other things like that. You cannot inherit biases, or beliefs, or ideas. Those you must be taught, and then make a conscious decision yourself as to whether or not you will accept them.

Because you were exposed to other races and "inferior" peoples, you had a counterbalance against your father and mother's ideologies. That's how you turned out so different; you knew they were full of hot air when they spewed their vile opinions.

Also, the Freemasons aren't bad people; they're just a gentleman's club which is supposed to teach men how to be proper fathers, husbands, and men of their community. Your father must not pay much attention during service and meetings.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

WOG is abbreviated term for Western Oriental Gentlemen...

strange but true and not considered insulting.
omg the format is being weird!!
see if editing helps?

edit on 2013=22=1 by Thurisaz because: fix format ???

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Cool, but see Wiki Wog

Seems it changes meaning around the world (like a number of other colloquial or slang words).

Your family sounds similiar to mine.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

This makes me think of the too common misconception that parents have children and then their role is to teach the children... When in today's reality is seems apparent to me that most parents end up having children and the roles are reversed- the children are teaching the parents... as could be the purpose in your situation... Just an idea

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I can relate to this-growing up in Apartheid South Africa,as a child,the only non-racist person i ever had contact with,was my adoptive father,and he was home extremely seldom.Every one else,family,teachers,friends,boyfriends-i felt like a freak because from a very early age,their worldview was anathema to me,i could find no logic to it,nothing about it made sense-the racist part,as well as a lotta other stuff.This was the one area though, where my "freakdom" brought me a feeling of at least being true to myself.I never felt like a part of the human race anyway,from earliest memories,never mind my adopted family or friends or the society i grew up in.I met my bio-mother once,and i have to say,i did get the impression she was basically the same as folks in her age range(early 60's) many of them have mellowed a bit in their views,bt racist issue-related,it looks like she and my adoptive mother had pretty much the same indoctrination while they themselves were growing up,and formed their opinions+worldview.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join