Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jykan

Jykan
I had a few debates with my parents also and could never sway them but they let me look into things on my own and never thought badly of me for having a different view..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

wildtimes
I'm like you i want to believe i a afterlife and something out there created us but im just don't know the older i get the more my thoughts change..
I think you did right raising your kids without a particular "religious belief system" let them decide for themselves what they want to believe..thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

OmegaLogos
I have to tell you i don't agree but thats OK thats why i posted this thread to get everyones opinion on this subject..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity_99

Thank you for the nice post i guess everyone has there way to bring understanding to there children on this touchy subject who knows maybe yours is is the right way having no children myself its good to see what everyones views are and thanks again..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

LesMisanthrope
I liked your post..
It's called fanaticism; and no group has its shortage of fanatics. Id say thats the truth very true words Sir..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

littled16
I got that idea the lady was a bit confused and hurt and didn't know what to tell her child but i thought it was a excellent read on the subject from her point of view..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Wonders

Thank you for opinion on the subject..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

TKDRL
I understand what your saying i don't talk about religion to anyone no matter how well i know them in-fact this is the first religious thread Ive ever done and thought long and hard before i posted it but i thought the reactions of other would be interesting and educational..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

jeramie
Thank you for posting and your beliefs that i don't agree with but we all have our own opinion and all the bible verses you throw out aren't going to change peoples personal idea on how to explain god to there kids or change anyones idea..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

This is one of the many things that irritates me about modern society these days. I believe the mother has every right to raise her children the way she sees fit. I personally will raise mine without God in mind for the exact same reasons. You shouldn't be guilt-tripped or put in needless fear to to good because an invisible man that may or may not be there is watching.

As for the other parents, they should worry about raising their own children instead of critiquing another parent of their jobs. Good riddance.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Transitarian
I have a very hard time putting my thoughts down to words and you did this so eloquently thank you..The mother does have the right to raise her kids the way she sees fit ..
If i had children id probably do it the same way ..If they asked me i would say i just don't know and show them books and the things that could guide them to a better understanding ..Then let them make there own decision on how far they choose to take it ..and if they don't then I'm not going to be guilt ridden over it nor would i feel i was a bad mother thats just silly in my eyes..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Oh great here we go again with the "My Gods Dick is Bigger than Your Gods Dick"

I'd like to say two things ..

First is in reply to OmegaLogos comment
"2] She brought mortal kids into a world that isnt perfect and those kids will suffer and die because she had sex! "

By your own admission , God Created Man/Woman (with their sexual organs intact) would it not be a greater sin to Not use everything your God gave you ?

Secondly
: Apparently God Created everything, Then the world, Then man and woman.. Then he told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge .

Then your Omnipresent / Omniscient just sat back and watched while a talking snake mislead his children..

Does The God prevent them from eating (NO)
Does The God chase off the evil [TALKING] snake away (NO)
Does The God Educate his children so they are better prepared for the world GOD has imprisoned them on (NO)

The God just waits and watch's until they eat the apple then punishes and banishes them
(NOT REALLY A GREAT PARENTING JOB) actually it is down right vindictive ...

That right there is the Kicker ..
You claim your god is merciful, But your own gods in-actions directly oppose your claims ..

Personally I Think if he [did or does exist] we should all be very thankful the VINDICTIVE TURD is staying out of Mankind's affairs..

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
At first I was'nt going to reply. Being an atheist ,seeing her side is very easy. Having been a single parent of two for 17 years, I have dealt with all the same questions from my children. I never lied to my kids, not about this particular subject.

I looked at it this way. When a child is very young they have questions. The problem with the question of is there a God is not that complex to a child. You see we as adults take away their ability to reason it out for themselves. With lies.

When a child ask's " Who's jesus? He/she is most of the time answered as follows. " He's the son of God, everybody knows that." The child now thinks that question can't ever be asked again, at least not as long as their children. We take away from them by lieing. The child comes away from that question with the attitude of " If everybody knows this, it must be true. Only later in life as they become adults, is that question able to be asked again.

That question answers itself as an adult. With adult reasoning skills. Which way the individual answers that question IMHO depends upon how much the truth was twisted with the original question of a child. Is there a God?

I took my kids to church, I let them do the vacation bible school. I let them decide, very early in their lives. I let them answer their own questions. I did not askew it with my beleifs or lack thereof. I did not perpetuate the lie of "Everybody knows that"

As a side note & for what it's worth. My kids each had a friend in school who's dad was a minister. My daughter went to school with his son and my son went to school with his daughter. Both of these kids were absolute horrors. I mean little terrors. Complete lack of home training, complete lack of respect for adults. Each had one visit to my home. After that, they were never invited back.

Long story short, the son killed himself as the authorities were getting ready to arrest him for child abuse & endangerment. The daughter , last we heard was in prison. IMHO, don't ever lie to your children, not matter what. They want parents they can look up too, parents that are real role models. Not parents that lie from their infancy till they become aware adults. Never ever lie to your kids. Their lives will be hard enough, even harder starting it out with lies and fantasy. As adults we don't want to be lied too. It makes us angry when one does lie to us. Now imagine the child that has been lied too by their parents since birth about this topic. And their thoughts when they realize for themselves that their parents lied all those years ago. See my meaning.
edit on 22-1-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
not my kid, dont care.

but if it was, and i had some, i would tell them the truth. if they decided to go on with a life of what eva god/religion, so be it, children are just little adults, waiting to be bigger adults. just because i dont believe doesnt mean they shouldnt.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by ShadowLink

ShadowLink
I have no children but Ive often wondered what id say to my kids if questioned but i have to go along with what this lady has to say I'm just not a firm believer in god ..

My parents sent me to Sunday school i asked them one time why they bothered to send me and my answer was every good parent did that when you were young so you would get a firm understanding of god well i grew up and still don't have a firm understanding..peace,sugarcookie1

My son goes to a private Catholic school. He was baptized as a Catholic, I'm not even really a Christian, though I come from a Christian background. They have mass at school every week, and religious education two or three times a week. They learn all the Catholic prayers and sacraments, and so forth. At first I felt awkward about dealing with this, because I didn't want to torpedo what the school teaches, but on the other hand I didn't want to pretend that that's what I believe in.

So when we have discussions about God and he asks me about stuff from the Bible, I tell him that their and mine are just different beliefs, and that there are many different beliefs in the world, and that he will have to choose for himself what he believes in. Frankly, I don't care what he believes in, Buddhism, paganism, Catholicism... as long as it's not satanism or atheism, I'm fine.
edit on 22-1-2013 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

openyourmind1262
This is just my option on this the vast majority of children do not make an informed choice about which religion to believe in they simply take what they are given. Many more adults do question their choice, and some change, but it seems the majority stay with what they were given as children..

I don't consider myself an atheist i just don't know what i am i believe there is something greater something put us here I'm just not sure its God.. I just have a hard time believing in a god because it has never been proven to exist..

But i know id let my kids if i had any make up there own mind and i would say i just don't know because that would not be a lie ..I'm upbringing was Sunday school from 6 to about 10 years of age all we did was color pics of Jesus and talk about things like Noah and his arc as i said my parent felt like it was there duty as good parents to send me to this and i think some of it was also free time to themselves on Sundays for a few hours ..

I basically learned nothing and as an adult i have so many questions but i hate to get into religious talk with anyone it always ends poorly so i don't bother..

Thanks for posting i found your post to be very good and educational..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I feel for this woman. Her's is a position that is not defensible by accusations of bigotry or racism. If she were a Hindu raising her children with polytheistic views, nobody would say anything because that would be "bigoted". However, there are no such protections for atheists or non-mainstream religions. We have to fend for ourselves.

Our family consists of pagans and general witchery but my wife's side of the family is very Christian. This pretty much means we have to explain to our daughter all of the things her grandma tells her about "baby Jesus" around Christmas. We don't tell her that it's wrong. We celebrate Yule and Christmas because it is a western cultural holiday. We celebrate Jesus's birthday just like we would MLK. He was an influential man who's life is deserving of all the pagan holidays that Christians observe.

Basically, we just tell her that "some people believe this" and "some people believe that" and "we believe in this" but we never ever tell her "YOU MUST BELIEVE IN ______"

This woman may be a bit on the vehement side but she has my sympathy, none the less.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

sylvie
I was brought up a Lutheran i don't know much about the Catholic church and i was home schooled never went to public schools or private ..

But i feel your doing the right thing your not forcing your view on your child there is noting wrong with saying your beliefs are different..

I would think raising a kid in this day and age would be hard there is so many cults and weird stuff out there to get into its almost scarey to me sounds like your doing a great job as a parent
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Cuervo
Sounds like you have a very interesting lifestyle one i would like to look into further..Thank you so much for posting i just love hearing about others ideas on this subject..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I agree with the essay, however, process of explaining to their child should be gradual.

I think we should let them believe whatever they want until around 6-7 yrs old. Then we should teach about different type of religion, and the child's common sense would eliminate most of them... then you just give a helping hand.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join