It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gadgets 'made waterproof in an hour'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I was checking out BBCs website and found a new technology video I thought was pretty awesome. It just so happened to already have been uploaded to youtube, so I can embed it here. Basically it is a form of nanotech that coats anything from a cell phone to tissue paper and makes it water proof. Apparently it will break down with pressure, so you really do not want to go swimming with your cell phone, but in the case that your little one drops it into the toilet or the bathtub it isn't going to cost you the price of a new phone. Just pull it out and it is already dry. I have a feeling nanotech is going to revolutionize a lot more than we think in the future.

Gadgets have a habit of getting wet, whether that be the rain or receiving a text message when in the bath - not to be recommended.

Now imperceptibly thin nanotechnology is hoping to lengthen the lifespan of wet gadgets as Richard Taylor explains.

Edit to Add:

The Company that makes it is called HzO here is thier site... www.hzoinside.com...

Here is the video off their site.....

HzO’s engineers extensively tested the WaterBlock™ formula to ensure it is at the vanguard of liquid protection for manufacturers, both small and large. The following industry-approved tests sample the arduous standards imposed on WaterBlock™. The results speak for themselves.

Chemical Composition: HzO Proprietary Blend (Trade-Secret)
HzO’s WaterBlock™ chemical composition is expressly the sole ownership and claimed intellectual property of HzO, Inc. (USA)
Corrosion Resistance
Humidity Resistivity: MIL spec STD-810
Salt Restively: MIL spec STD-810
Thermal Conductivity: 0.084 (W/(m·K))
Thermal Stability: Tested stable from -50°C to 120°C
Toxicity: Non-Toxicity Certificate of Compliance
Vapor Transmission Rate: ASTM E96; 0.25 g.mil for water vapor/0.31 g.mil for water
Vibration: MIL spec STD-833 method 2007.3 condition A

edit on 21-1-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The last phone he dunked in the water looks fake.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Very cool. I can see this being used as a sort of rust proofing as well depending on the cost. No moister=no rust.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Cost?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

lol I was just looking for that.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
The last phone he dunked in the water looks fake.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

Yeah it’s a conspiracy. Trust nothing. (sarcasm off)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I edited the OP to include the Companies site link and their video

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I can't find a cost but their brochure is pretty informative. I am wondering if this is a sales pitch for the unit for applying it for investors, like mall kiosks and such.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Fiberglass resin or epoxy are other substances that can also be used to encase and protect circuit boards from water, dust and so on. Any connectors you have, like USB or power ports will still be exposed, but the rest can be made a lot more resistant to the environment. I am not sure how well it responds to heat, like the heat sink for a CPU so some care is needed with some devices. Fiberglass is a common material used in printed circuit boards, so it is well tested and used in providing a non conductive barrier and support.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

That was the first thing I thought when watching. They could probably do a lot of business selling those units to cell phone stores as well. I would have it done to my I pad because I travel Central and south America a lot and I worry about the humidity or my ruck sack getting soaked moving from place to place. Currently I have dry bags for my electronics but they take up space so it would be nice being able to not worry about those things. Actually I am on my 4th I pod and it is probably due to moisture. I will look into finding a place that offers that service even if I have to send it off to have it done.

BTW S&F I always enjoy informative threads and especially those done on new technology it seems like not many people will flag threads like those though because they like gossip type of threads. Keep finding interesting stuff like that some of us really enjoy them.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The first company to market with Nano-tech super hydrophobic coatings is called Neverwet. I have already seen an advertisement online to send a phone to one of their partners and for $60.00 US they will coat it and return it.

Neat stuff, Really cool to think about no more ruined electronics, watches, etc etc.

Link to Neverwet
edit on 21-1-2013 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
The first company to market with Nano-tech super hydrophobic coatings is called Neverwet. I have already seen an advertisement online to send a phone to one of their partners and for $60.00 US they will coat it and return it.

Neat stuff, Really cool to think about no more ruined electronics, watches, etc etc.

Link to Neverwet
edit on 21-1-2013 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

Man at $60 a mobile, that's not worth it.

I can buy a new android mobile for

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I need cost. I have MANY Gadgets...........and Children.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I found this...

HZO has said that their technology is so expensive that it is pitching its product to manufacturers. The company says that they would have to charge so much to waterproof individual devices that it isn’t practical. Instead the company wants device manufacturers to have their products treated and then sell them. HZO’s treatment would be an added feature and because the treatment would be used on large quantities of devices, the cost per device would be negligible.

On the other hand Liquipel will waterproof your device in one to three days depending on how much you want to spend. If you need your phone back immediately, you can pay $69 and they will treat your phone within one to two hours of receiving it and ship it back to you. Fifty-nine dollars will have your phone treated within one to two days of receiving it and then it will be shipped back. Seventy-nine dollars will get you treatment within one to three days of receipt and Gadget Protective Film that will scratch proof your device similar to Zagg’s InvisibleSHIELD. So far, there is a limited list of devices they will treat.
Source: tech.blog

Apparently Liquipel has a select few they have permission to do this on but here is the page to find out if the ones you have are allowed www.liquipel.com... for the main site visit www.liquipel.com...

Mamatus posted a link to Neverwet above and it is the same thing as well.
edit on 21-1-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If it coats it enough to create a layer that repels water, what happens to the electrical connections for the charger and headphones? Wouldn't that create a small enough barrier to cause issues?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I saw this tech on the Richard Hammond show last year, youtube this show tells of technology we have copied from nature.

I hope it plays in your country.

The tech was copied from the wings of a morpho butterfly, whos wings are completely resistant to water.

Other stuff includes, dropping a lightbulb from space, and it still worked, tech copied from a woodpecker.

The silent fan, copied from an owl, and a pilots suit, capable of withstanding 10G's, borrowed from the giraffe.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I just use a zip lock baggie.

They come in all sizes.

top topics

join