It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please decipher this antique tapestry!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Hello ATS

I was in chat the other night and brought up that i went to a antique shop and spotted a rug or old tapestry that caught my eye it was so odd that i decided to buy it i payed a big 10 dollars for it..

I was asked in chat to put some pics of this old piece of work with a language i think is Latin on it I'm not sure but i think its a poem has anyone ever seen anything this strange before?

I usually don't buy old things like this because i never know what comes with buying this kind of thing like something paranormal but something told me to buy this the rug is in good shape its been taken care of Ive just never seen anything like this before and i have no idea were it was made there is no tags attached to it..

I also put in a few pics of my dogs they wanted in on the excitement..thanks for flying,sugarcookie1

edit on 20-1-2013 by sugarcookie1 because: Image hosting issues

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

This is a garbled version of Horace's Ars Poetica, a treatise on poetry. The passage should read:

Si uis me flere, dolendum est primum ipsi tibi; tum tua me infortunia laedent, Telephe uel Peleu; male si mandata loqueris, aut dormitabo aut ridebo.

It means:

If you wish me to cry, you must first feel grief yourself, then your misfortunes, O Telephus or Peleus, will injure me. If you speak ineptly assigned words, I shall either sleep or laugh.

?

www.funtrivia.com...

Not exactly what it says, but I'm sure this will help
edit on 20-1-2013 by retirednature because: additional comment

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
With those that smile, our face in smiles appears;
With those that weep, we burst into tears.
If you wish me to weep,
you yourself must first feel grief.
So I shall feel your sorrows like my own,
O Peleus or Telephus!
But if your language is not suitable
for the circumstances, I’ll sleep, or smile

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

en.allexperts.com...

Are you sure it's old? Difficult to tell the quality and state of it from a picture, but I had similar pillows a few years ago (might even have been the same pillows at the poster in the link! I had both blue, cream and red ones)... not quite certain what was written on them, but it had the same corners.

Nice!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

So basically it says... you first. Or I must first see you cry or laugh before I do.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

What a beautiful tapestry. I found a website that translates phrases from Latin to English.

Link: www.latinphrasetranslation.com...

I hope this helps.

Your doggie babies are adorable!

I noticed that you have some dream catchers on your walls; I have them on my walls too.

edit on 21-1-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Awwwwww - I see you've added links to more pictures - your furbabies are gorgeous!!!

I dug out my tomcats album... and here's a picture of him (as a baby, he's 9 now) laying on one of the pillows that looked just like it... I guess the pillows were about 2-3 years old at that point, so bought new just about 11-12 years ago.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

retirednature

I think thats close to what it says im just not sure..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by darrylss

darrylss
Thank you im sure that probley is what it says i just didnt know enough latin to figure it all out..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

aspiechick
I got it at a antique shop and it was from an old estate sale they figured it was about 30 years old it had been in there back room for about 10 years and decided to put it out there is some were on it but not much whoever owned it took care of the rug..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

intrptr
Thats probley the whole jest of the poem..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

caladonea
Thank you for the link..I have lots of dream catchers my whole house is done in american indian something i have a passion for..thanks my dogs are my babys but there getting old but they were sitting there like take a picture of us! peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 21-1-2013 by sugarcookie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

aspiechick
Your cat is just adorable! That pillow looks just like the rug i found the pillows on the net but couldnt fine the rug anywere so maybe they didnt make many of the rugs but i have a feeling this is older then 12 years old the antique store told me 30 years but who knows..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Very nice buy,Sugarcookies.
It's definitely Latin and I think someone else posted the meaning before me.

“With those that smile, our face in smiles appears; With those that weep, we burst into tears. If you wish me to weep, you yourself must first feel grief. So I shall feel your sorrows like my own,O Peleus or Telephus! But if your language is not suitable for the circumstances,I'll sleep, or smile”.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

kdog
thank you
I have to admit its a very pretty poem im glad i found the rug ive never seen one like it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

It says Sugar Cookies are Sexy Bunnies!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

It says Sugar Cookies are Sexy Bunnies!

Ok,that's just creepy,dude.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Ok,that's just creepy,dude.

Fair enuf but Yur quotes even creepier

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by aspiechick
Awwwwww - I see you've added links to more pictures - your furbabies are gorgeous!!!

I dug out my tomcats album... and here's a picture of him (as a baby, he's 9 now) laying on one of the pillows that looked just like it... I guess the pillows were about 2-3 years old at that point, so bought new just about 11-12 years ago.

I logged in just to say this cat pic is adorable. Mama loves her kitty and it shows.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

AthlonSavage

shame on you its about a rug not me..peace,sugarcookie1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join